By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Best ps3 game: This is awsome.

Words Of Wisdom said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Best or not, you should know better than to expect too much from a game with cartoon style art direction. This is NOT the game to look to show off the power of the system. Those games would be those like Resistance (partly in graphics and partly in huge battles), Lair (although that fell way short of its promise), and MGS4 (which may be the do or die game for the system).

I call shenanigans.

When did it become impossible for games to have both quality graphics and art direction? I would definitely label that a false dichotomy.

Particle effects, lighting, building/environment design, and even character design...etc can all improve with a step up in graphic capabilities. To think the art style/direction would limit most of this is foolish.

Look at the bolded part. That was what I meant. The PS3's graphics hype has been about the move towards photo realism. THAT'S why this kind of game is not the kind to show that off, even though the textures, shading, and polygon count are far above the PS2 games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
W29 said:
DonWii said:
hunter_alien said:
Unfortunatlly I have to agree , I played all 4 PS2 R&C games + Size Matters , and what Ive seen here didnt surprised me ... I think that the formula is getting a wee bit old :?

After 6 games in 6 years, the formula does get old quick. And each of the games was 8-10 hours long. I doubt this one will be any different.

@W29,

It is very different with Mario. 3 games in 11 years VS 6 games in 6 years(7 in 7, if you count the Clank PSP one coming out next year).

Well DonWii, Madden NFL releases every year, with the same gameplay...And the game sells like hotcakes...But Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 looks awesome and plays awesome. Its a platformer that PS3 needs and its well worth the purchase if anyone gets a PS3 and existing PS3 owners.

Sports games are a totally different scenario since they are based on something that itself has changes. NFL Players get better or worse year to year and there are a crapload of roster changes.  To keep up as a sports fan you have to buy it or be "hardcore" and edit the team rosters yourself which some people have done with like Tecmo Bowl for example.

People just buying Madden as a football game who don't give a crap about Football I'd imagine only buy one out of every 4 Madden's or so.

Not that i'm saying that Ratchet and Clank actually have gotten stale, but comparing it to a sports game that's just a horrible comparison as it's a totally different beast.

LordTheNightKnight said:

Look at the bolded part. That was what I meant. The PS3's graphics hype has been about the move towards photo realism. THAT'S why this kind of game is not the kind to show that off, even though the textures, shading, and polygon count are far above the PS2 games.

Fair enough.  I focused far more on your first sentence though.

Words Of Wisdom said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Fair enough. I focused far more on your first sentence though.

Don't do that. I did that a few times, and ended up with egg on my face, when I realized I was arguing the wrong context. The first sentence of the post was in the context of the rest of it. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs