By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will almost certainly beat 360

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
ironman said:
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:
As i said before....

Without this price cut PS3 was about to be crushed sales wise. They were falling further and further behind. Sony were the ones who had to change that. And they did. They brought out the slim version and cut the price by a lot. They are now first and doing well, they deserve to be there for the hard work they have put into it. Right now PS3 has the better games and has the better features. That price in my book is now a bargain.
But how will it be in a years time when it has been on sale for 12 months at that price?
They had the games and the price drop but only sold 100k more almost then the 360 in US. That is not a good sign.

It means the PS3 could drop back to saturation point quicker then expected i.e meaning the 360 and PS3 sell nearly on par.

So lets say the PS3 by say august 2010 has clawed back 2m units on the 360 meaning a difference of an average of a gap of 41k a week. At that point the 360 will still be 5m units ahead of the PS3.
What can Sony then do at that point to keep it going? They just invested heavily on a new model and a price drop. Will they be able to drop price again in 12 months time? Probably not. They will do as Microsoft have done this year and concentrate on bundle type deals for new games.

So then August 2010 comes around with the 360 5m units ahead. Microsoft then decide to bring in these new features they have i.e stuff for facebook etc. They release Natal which will estimated be just £25 due to simply being a camera, no need for controllers etc. And then they drop properly for the first time in 2 years by £50. Meaning a 360 will cost £99.

How would PS3 do if that happened?

The obvious answer is the 360 would re-gain back all those sales that it lost in the next year and then some.

So yes, enjoy the current PS3 numbers, be happy about the way it is right now. But don't be silly in thinking Microsoft are done. They have 3 huge cards to play in Natal, a £99 price tag and things such as Sky Tv on it etc..

Microsoft right now don't need to do anything at all. They are not under any pressure to do anything right now. Where as Sony are. If the price drop and new console release did not do what it is doing now then they would of been out of the competition this xmas. They were the ones who had to fight to save their lives and they did. Microsoft are nowhere near that period.

Here it is - should have quoted it in the post before.

Edit: Err it was sterling

lol, ok, that makes more sense. But thats still really low, I don't see it being less that $89.99.

i thought you said it was going to sell masses of consoles! how the hell is it gonna do that if the damn peripheral costs $90? thats like nearly the price of the console itself!

Its going to sell consoles because its going to be bundled with a console idiot. Nobody is going to buy a separate 360 console and then buy a Natal package later. If they buy a console they will have Natal therefore MAGIC = Natal sold a console. No the price will not go up, it will stay the same with Natal. The unbundled 360's prices will go down. All this before a holiday = huge sales bump.

Around the Network

I think that sony is a better machine , but they are too far behind microsoft at the moment. and in a world wide recession.which will slow down sales across the board . i see them both suffering . i do belive that microsoft banning modded consoles from the live service will turn some die hard 360 fans to free online gaming ,  i my self will be purchasing the cod mod2 on the ps3 which is a first for me .both systems have thier good points :-

`the sony is a much better dvd / blu ray / music /has more power in graphics department , while the x360 has the people online to play with vod / games od/ and is pretty much more flexible online .with a bigger games catalogue.

i can not see either getting any better the sony is a slimmer machine but the first gen console was the best made with sacd and battle ship build quality. hence the very exspensive price .the 360 will never hit the $99 mark not for at least 2 years anyway . and most game sales for the 360 are pirate coppies . so the gaming industry loses every time with the 360 at the moment . sony will have to up thier online gaming and attract millions more to thier online service . which is pants compaired to microsofts live service . and microsoft are going to have to fit a blu ray drive to combat piracy. ....there is room for them both in this world ..... i have both

presumptions only not facts. i think liverpool will win the league next year ....not likley lol ...but you see it could be possible. microsoft will have to pull out all the stops with thier sham of a customer service .. millions of  units which have had the dreaded 3 red lights , and scratch discs . i am on  my  3rd 360 .and lots of shagged games aswell :(

bitch bitch bitch.....they are both going to become cheaper ...hence the quality will go down ..thats until one of them has the balls to make something with the power of a modern up to date pc.. other wise they will carry on and please the share holders by cutting back on quality ..to make £&$.

And another week of PS3 outselling 360 in every region.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

who cares

I think all the natal lovers are forgetting something important here, and that is the PS motion wand would have been released way before natal, if you ask me natal is going to come too late and too expensive.
Also the sales of FFXIII and GT5 will push the PS3 to the same install base as the xbox 360, the trouble is there is no must have exlusives for the xbox 360 this year, halo and forza have already come out, and really if anyone wants MW2 they can get it for the PS3 as well.
I predict by next christmas(2010) the war will be over and PS3 will have 2nd spot, and microsoft will kill xbox 360 just so they can jump on the next xbox bandwagon and try and get the better of Sony, but it will not pay off again.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
I think all the natal lovers are forgetting something important here, and that is the PS motion wand would have been released way before natal, if you ask me natal is going to come too late and too expensive.
Also the sales of FFXIII and GT5 will push the PS3 to the same install base as the xbox 360, the trouble is there is no must have exlusives for the xbox 360 this year, halo and forza have already come out, and really if anyone wants MW2 they can get it for the PS3 as well.
I predict by next christmas(2010) the war will be over and PS3 will have 2nd spot, and microsoft will kill xbox 360 just so they can jump on the next xbox bandwagon and try and get the better of Sony, but it will not pay off again.

GT5 and FFXIII aren't this year either so the PS3 has no must have exclusives by your logic this year either.  If you mean over the next year then the 360 has Halo Reach, Crackdown 2, Alan Wake, Mass Effect 2, etc.  Microsoft are in profit so can cut the price of the 360 anytime they please which will boost sales, plus they can also release a new "slim" model if they wanted too.  Sony has no cards left to play other than on price which the company canot afford, there is only one company on dangerous ground here and it isn't Microsoft.  Note I didn't even need to mention Natal which has huge hype already in the mdeia unlike the wand.

Ok you really are delusional, halo or forza do not push the same amounts of sales as any ff or gt franchise, so yes they will make a difference, what i meant was that everyone who wanted those games already has bought them, it's always the same with xbox games everyone always rushes out to buy it on day one or week one, its different here, we like to spread things out a bit which is why uncharted 2 still sold 200k recently, it will keep on selling well for the rest of christmas, after christmas it will hit 2m which ios not bad at all.
Natal is going to come too late and too expensive, and ultimately nobody will care as much about it, as for the hype its getting, just wait till the PS Wand comes out, that hype is going to die, especially as we all know Natal is really just an eyetoy in disguise

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

natal will sell i think... wii is losing its steam so there is alot of opportunities that
sony a microsoft can take to obtain a share of the casual market.
Its all about marketing xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!