By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will almost certainly beat 360

Hyruken said:
As i said before....

Without this price cut PS3 was about to be crushed sales wise. They were falling further and further behind. Sony were the ones who had to change that. And they did. They brought out the slim version and cut the price by a lot. They are now first and doing well, they deserve to be there for the hard work they have put into it. Right now PS3 has the better games and has the better features. That price in my book is now a bargain.
But how will it be in a years time when it has been on sale for 12 months at that price?
They had the games and the price drop but only sold 100k more almost then the 360 in US. That is not a good sign.

It means the PS3 could drop back to saturation point quicker then expected i.e meaning the 360 and PS3 sell nearly on par.

So lets say the PS3 by say august 2010 has clawed back 2m units on the 360 meaning a difference of an average of a gap of 41k a week. At that point the 360 will still be 5m units ahead of the PS3.
What can Sony then do at that point to keep it going? They just invested heavily on a new model and a price drop. Will they be able to drop price again in 12 months time? Probably not. They will do as Microsoft have done this year and concentrate on bundle type deals for new games.

So then August 2010 comes around with the 360 5m units ahead. Microsoft then decide to bring in these new features they have i.e stuff for facebook etc. They release Natal which will estimated be just £25 due to simply being a camera, no need for controllers etc. And then they drop properly for the first time in 2 years by £50. Meaning a 360 will cost £99.

How would PS3 do if that happened?

The obvious answer is the 360 would re-gain back all those sales that it lost in the next year and then some.

So yes, enjoy the current PS3 numbers, be happy about the way it is right now. But don't be silly in thinking Microsoft are done. They have 3 huge cards to play in Natal, a £99 price tag and things such as Sky Tv on it etc..

Microsoft right now don't need to do anything at all. They are not under any pressure to do anything right now. Where as Sony are. If the price drop and new console release did not do what it is doing now then they would of been out of the competition this xmas. They were the ones who had to fight to save their lives and they did. Microsoft are nowhere near that period.

Here it is - should have quoted it in the post before.

Edit: Err it was sterling

Around the Network
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:
As i said before....

Without this price cut PS3 was about to be crushed sales wise. They were falling further and further behind. Sony were the ones who had to change that. And they did. They brought out the slim version and cut the price by a lot. They are now first and doing well, they deserve to be there for the hard work they have put into it. Right now PS3 has the better games and has the better features. That price in my book is now a bargain.
But how will it be in a years time when it has been on sale for 12 months at that price?
They had the games and the price drop but only sold 100k more almost then the 360 in US. That is not a good sign.

It means the PS3 could drop back to saturation point quicker then expected i.e meaning the 360 and PS3 sell nearly on par.

So lets say the PS3 by say august 2010 has clawed back 2m units on the 360 meaning a difference of an average of a gap of 41k a week. At that point the 360 will still be 5m units ahead of the PS3.
What can Sony then do at that point to keep it going? They just invested heavily on a new model and a price drop. Will they be able to drop price again in 12 months time? Probably not. They will do as Microsoft have done this year and concentrate on bundle type deals for new games.

So then August 2010 comes around with the 360 5m units ahead. Microsoft then decide to bring in these new features they have i.e stuff for facebook etc. They release Natal which will estimated be just £25 due to simply being a camera, no need for controllers etc. And then they drop properly for the first time in 2 years by £50. Meaning a 360 will cost £99.

The obvious answer is the 360 would re-gain back all those sales that it lost in the next year and then some.

So yes, enjoy the current PS3 numbers, be happy about the way it is right now. But don't be silly in thinking Microsoft are done. They have 3 huge cards to play in Natal, a £99 price tag and things such as Sky Tv on it etc..

Microsoft right now don't need to do anything at all. They are not under any pressure to do anything right now. Where as Sony are. If the price drop and new console release did not do what it is doing now then they would of been out of the competition this xmas. They were the ones who had to fight to save their lives and they did. Microsoft are nowhere near that period.

lol, ok, that makes more sense. But thats still really low, I don't see it being less that $89.99.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:
As i said before....

lol, ok, that makes more sense. But thats still really low, I don't see it being less that $89.99.

i thought you said it was going to sell masses of consoles! how the hell is it gonna do that if the damn peripheral costs $90? thats like nearly the price of the console itself!

$90 is not cheap but I really think it will sell at more initially, to recoup development costs. I can see it going to 90 or slightly less towards the end of its life cycle.

However, the moot point for Natal will be software support - will it be there or won't it?

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
ironman said:
Fufinu said:
Hyruken said:
As i said before....

i thought you said it was going to sell masses of consoles! how the hell is it gonna do that if the damn peripheral costs $90? thats like nearly the price of the console itself!

It will sell, I never said masses of console, I said it would do more for MS that the Wand would do for the PS3. The fact that it will be "bundled" with an entirely new SKU Should tell you that MS is serious about this. Also, Like it or not, for What Natal is, $89.99 would be a fair price IMO, I would even buy it if it were $120, but much over that, well I think it's sales will suffer. Anyway. Just because you can't see outside your box, doesn't mean the rest of the world is in the same confines as you.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Around the Network
ironman said:
Fufinu said:

I should really mark the posts saying that Natal will come out at $25 because it's just a camera. Considering how much MS sells a 360 HDD. Or WiFi this really makes sense!

Eh, what?I havn't seen any of those posts...but if that is true, those people are sadly mistaken. Infact, MS doesn't even sell the webcam for that cheap. It's $40.00 for pete's sake.

First of all he said it would be £25 not $25... very big difference.

Second of all the "rumor" is natal will be $50 probably comes from this joystiq article

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/15/pachter-project-natal-will-cost-50-sphere-will-be-over-100/

I am not saying anything either way... just figured id correct you all since your going off on something you missread.

thors1982 said:
ironman said:
Fufinu said:

I should really mark the posts saying that Natal will come out at $25 because it's just a camera. Considering how much MS sells a 360 HDD. Or WiFi this really makes sense!

Eh, what?I havn't seen any of those posts...but if that is true, those people are sadly mistaken. Infact, MS doesn't even sell the webcam for that cheap. It's $40.00 for pete's sake.

First of all he said it would be £25 not $25... very big difference.

Second of all the "rumor" is natal will be $50 probably comes from this joystiq article

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/15/pachter-project-natal-will-cost-50-sphere-will-be-over-100/

I am not saying anything either way... just figured id correct you all since your going off on something you missread.

He already clarified that it was indeed 25 pounds, not dollars. And he posted the place he heard it from. So you really didn't need to post anything other than the link.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Microsoft themsels said it will cost you. Atleast that was a Threadtitel in the MS Forum. And Pachter is talking a lot of Bullshit so this is not a trustworthy source.

Netyaroze said:
Microsoft themsels said it will cost you. Atleast that was a Threadtitel in the MS Forum. And Pachter is talking a lot of Bullshit so this is not a trustworthy source.

XD, yeah its going to cost you, it's not like they are going to give it out for free.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Natal will probably be more like $70 to $80 maybe even $99 bucks when released, and a package deal with an 360 console will probably be $50 than a 360 without Natal. Maybe $50-$60 after a few months, but not on day one.