By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is gaming, Sony/Microsoft are questionable.

Umm.. I don't see it that way. For me MS/Sony = gaming and nintendo is irrelevant.

Around the Network

You're confusing "games I like" with "gaming" as a concept. But as a concept anyway, no company actually is gaming. They just make games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
You're confusing "games I like" with "gaming" as a concept. But as a concept anyway, no company actually is gaming. They just make games.

I am not confusing anything. As I said "FOR ME". One company does not make any interesting games and the other companies do make them. It is not that hard to see which companies are about gaming "FOR ME".

Gaming in the way the OP presented it is not a subjective thing, so you are still wrong to declare it that way for you, just as the OP is wrong to declare it another way.

Gaming is about video games period.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Funny thing is with the amount of losses they have sustained over the last few years Sony and Microsoft have actually invested a lot more into gaming than Nintendo...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
Funny thing is with the amount of losses they have sustained over the last few years Sony and Microsoft have actually invested a lot more into gaming than Nintendo...

Selling at a loss is not investing into gaming. R&D is investing into gaming. In that case, all three companies have invested a lot (Nintendo is making a new facility for R&D after all).

Sony and Microsoft do care about gaming, however they look at it from a different perspective than Nintendo. They have invested a lot on their consoles, fight for exclusive games of game content, because of their interest. It's foolish to consider the opposite.

The real difference comes in their perspective towards gaming. Sony and Microsoft relied too much on technology to deliver a gaming experience and there are reasons to applaud them for that. However, the new consoles offer other nongaming related things making them more of a media hub for different services, and games is one of them. This does not mean that it's not relevant, on the contrary, gaming is their door to customers to offer them other services (Blue Ray Capabilities, media streaming, Netflix, online community, you name it). Their investment in gaming relies on raw power, leaving the games, the software, the experience, to developers.

Nintendo on the other hand is a gaming only company, videogames is their central core and all services and investments revolve around this. This is why the DS and Wii are so different from what we expect of a system, because the focus is gaming experiences only, to give them something new and fresh to as many people as possible. They cannot provide the non-gaming services Sony and Microsoft do on their respective consoles, and this is why they didn't go the HD route. They focus on games for everyone and they should be applauded for that.

@the_bloodwalker: Indeed "gaming is their door to customers to offer them other services" and that's what the OP wants to say.

And the reason why Wii isn't in HD is, that they wanted to differentiate and create a platform that's cheap to develop for. That's also the philosophy behind DS.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@the_bloodwalker: Indeed "gaming is their door to customers to offer them other services" and that's what the OP wants to say.

And the reason why Wii isn't in HD is, that they wanted to differentiate and create a platform that's cheap to develop for. That's also the philosophy behind DS.

I see their strategy working. A lot of cheap games showing up on both wii and ds!

WereKitten said:

@theRepublic
Thanks for finding the presentation, I was wondering about this "shrinking market" idea.

No problem.

- it's dated 2005
Yeah, I would like to see how the numbers for this generation look.
- I see a big difference between "household penetration" and market, and anyway the household penetration ratio seems practically constant. Even considering that multiple consoles owned inside a same household bring less software sales than the same number of consoles sold to less related customers, the absolute number of software sales are going to increase as a constant percentage of households means a growing absolute number of them.

Thus I can't really say how this translates to a "shrinking market" in any way, not hardware nor software-wise. What can be said is that it hints to a bigger potential market.

I wouldn't call it shrinking, but looking at it like this I would call it somewhat stagnant.  When the population stops growing, so will video games if it continues like this.  That is a long term concern though, and possibly really really long term.  I think you are right, in that it definitely means there is a bigger potential market, which is probably why Nintendo went the direction they did with the Wii and DS.
- It highly depends on how the "penetration" thing was measured, ie what constitutes a "household". What about consoles in college dorms, for example? How are they counted? Was this a poll over a pre-defined set of households, or was it made on an individual basis? I know several of my friends had a console back at parents' and a console with their house-mates where we attended university, while others only had one back home or one that they moved all the time.
No clue on methodology.  It would be nice to have.
- this is US only. I'm pretty sure that the penetration of 8-bit and 16-bit era consoles was lower in Europe and has seen a way greater increase in following generations, especially since the PS1 onward. No, I don't have the hard numbers, I hope every reader who was there finds this reasonable.
I think a lot of the growth that video games have seen has been in the expansion to new markets.  Nintendo's main focus was Japan and the US during the NES and SNES.  Sony did a lot to popularize consoles in Europe with the PS1 and PS2.  I'm sure in the future there is a lot of growth to be had in South America and Asia.  On the other hand, it is both interesting and useful to see the historical progression of an established market like the US.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)