By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is gaming, Sony/Microsoft are questionable.

@Xoj: That's the point, Nintendo could have made a HD console and rake in the same profits they do now. Nintendo could have made a console that has multiple times the processing power of Wii, using the excact same architecture. Considering 360 has 3 Wii CPU:s clocked at 3,2GHz, one doesn't cost much. Or Wii could have that one clocked at 2,4GHz. There wasn't much financial incentives for Nintendo not make Wii in HD, so the reason was somewhere else.

@Pristine: You're right. You could tell that to the devs who push the systems graphically aswell as Sony and M$ who make the standards.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

In my opinion, Sony and MS set their positions clear when for the last 2 years they have focused a large portion of their E3 presentations to showing how they have 'exclusive deals' with major movie companies and companies like Netflix. At the Electronic GAMING Expo. And if this writing wasn't clear enough on the wall, the commercials for both PS3 and XBOX360 have been pushing the media content (specifically the downloadable movies) for years. I mean, last Christmas, Sony ran entire ads with nothing BUT ads focusing on UMD and downloadable movies for their systems like The Dark Knight. Without a single game to be seen.

With that said, yes, the PS3 and 360 are both gaming machines. However, that doesn't mean Sony and MS think of them as primarily a gaming machine and aren't using them to try to change their place in other markets.  I mean, for goodness sakes, I don't think anyone can argue that the PS3 is pretty much a trojan horse for the Blu-Ray format, just as PS2 helped popularize the DVD format.  If that's not a clear sign to Sony's priorities, I don't know what is.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

bdbdbd said:
@Xoj: That's the point, Nintendo could have made a HD console and rake in the same profits they do now. Nintendo could have made a console that has multiple times the processing power of Wii, using the excact same architecture. Considering 360 has 3 Wii CPU:s clocked at 3,2GHz, one doesn't cost much. Or Wii could have that one clocked at 2,4GHz. There wasn't much financial incentives for Nintendo not make Wii in HD, so the reason was somewhere else.

@Pristine: You're right. You could tell that to the devs who push the systems graphically aswell as Sony and M$ who make the standards.

Your opinions are one thing, but you should not write about technical aspects unless you're informed about them. The bolded part is simply utter rubbish.

The Xenon CPU of the 360 is using the PowerPC ISA, because that's what IBM does. It's not 3 CPUs, its a single CPU with 3 cores, and an architecture that borrows from the development that went in other more radical departures like the Cell, rather than the G3 as in the Wii's CPU. If you know nothing about cache coeherence or hyperthreading you should really not adventure in these waters.

It's not the only reason your first paragraph is bogus, of course. "Nintendo could have made a HD console and rake in the same profits" is wild, wild speculation.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Im guessing some are feeling threatened by the PS3 Sim and Uncharted 2?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

@WereKitten: Cache coeherence? You mean what was specifically patented to Gekko and is gone around in 360 by detailing in the patent L1 to be used instead of L2.
G5 and G3 aren't that different, atleast on the part that counts here, which is the cost.

I also didn't the part of the number of processors, unless you're specifically saying that Xenon doesn't consist of 3 PPC CPU:s.

So, Xenon is PPC-ISA because it's made by IBM, but Broadway isn't because it's made by IBM. Ok, i stand corrected.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I don't understand why so many Nintendo fans on this site have this thing against sony and microsoft doing other thing's than gaming. It's like they see Nintendo as some divine organization that make's games for the love of making them. They're all businesses. Nintendo has done plenty of other thing's besides consoles, such as: Jap playing cards, disney play card's to make more money, love hotel's, they've been a taxi company, a TV Network, an instant rice company. All these ventures failed horrendously, but it show's that money was and is still their drive, like sony and microsoft. So.... like get over yourselves.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

bdbdbd said:
@WereKitten: Cache coeherence? You mean what was specifically patented to Gekko and is gone around in 360 by detailing in the patent L1 to be used instead of L2.
G5 and G3 aren't that different, atleast on the part that counts here, which is the cost.

I also didn't the part of the number of processors, unless you're specifically saying that Xenon doesn't consist of 3 PPC CPU:s.

So, Xenon is PPC-ISA because it's made by IBM, but Broadway isn't because it's made by IBM. Ok, i stand corrected.

The Xenon using the PPC ISA - because that's what IBM chips use - exactly as Broadway doesn't make it 3 Wii CPUs any more than an Intel Core 2 Quad is 4 Pentiums 4 CPUs. This is what my sentence meant.

Gekko and Broadway are G3 models, but Xenon's cores are derived from the Cell's PPE. Again using the PPC ISA doesn't mean anything about its architecture. For one the Xenon's cores and PPE are in-order processors.

And the cache issue was exactly about this: multicore chips are more than sticking together N old cpus with magic glue because new problems arising with cache contention and memory access require new solutions. In the case of the Xenon and the Cell, they're quite different from all previous IBM designs.

To reiterate my point: saying that "the 360 has 3 Wii CPUs clocked at 3.2GHz" is rubbish.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

"I don't understand why so many Nintendo fans on this site have this thing against sony and microsoft doing other thing's than gaming."

Twisting words. It's that the game consoles are apparently not about gaming as much as using them as Trojan horses.

Not saying I believe that, just clarifying their positions.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ShadowSoldier said:
Im guessing some are feeling threatened by the PS3 Sim and Uncharted 2?

You know, I never even heard of Uncharted, the first OR second game, until people had to reference it in every post they made like its some 'killer app' game that's going to make PS3 'win' the 'console wars'.  If their answer to everything is 'but....Uncharted 2!'....then perhaps they should go play it and take a break from posting.

...oh right.  Its not out yet.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Uncharted 2 is suddenly a killer app?

Nothing against the first game (because from all accounts the first was pretty good), just that the game sold a lot of copies, but was not a system seller.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs