By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSPgo nudges hardware up 120 per cent

120% seems a lot better without knowing it only equated to 6k sold. Especially considering they got GT PSP with it.

but then again if it was anything like the EB Games in Canada, there was no advertising for it at all. No casual shopper would have known it was even out. Yet when I asked if they had a black one, they had none left.

Long term sales will either have growth with good advertising to casuals or it'll disappear really fast. SONY needs to market it properly because it IS a great portable gaming device.

Around the Network
Procrastinato said:
"Up 120 percent"... isn't that more than double, nordlead?

It was doing 5k in the UK. 120% more is 6k more for a grand total of 11k. They claim PSP3000 sales climbed up from 5k, therefore the PSPGo did less than 6k.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
psrock said:
nordlead said:
So... The PSP (Go and 3000 combined) selling 6k extra units in 1 week in the UK isn't a flop? honestly the DS totally destroyed it with 32k sales in the same region.

Also you have a misleading title, as the UK != the rest of the world. We're looking at 30k units in NA + 6k units in UK so far.

It's funny when we say games like The Conduit is flop, i always hear how the developers are happy with the sales, yet Sony says they happy with the sales but you think otherwise.

I've never addressed if the conduit was a flop or not. Honestly, compared to the hype they generated it was a flop. I'm sure it will make a profit, and I'm sure the PSPGo will make a profit, but those are underwelming sales for a new model that comes with GT for free.

However, if you compare the PSPGo to the PSP 2000 & 3000 it has done well as both of those were complete failures other than keeping the sales from completely plumeting. And before you say that the 3000 boosted sales in Japan, I will claim that was due to Monster Hunter which would have done just as well on the 2000.

PSP-2000 failure!? it sold 273k in Japan in its first week. PSP almost outsold DS in 2008 thanks to slim release (In Japan)

KillerMan said:
nordlead said:
psrock said:
nordlead said:
So... The PSP (Go and 3000 combined) selling 6k extra units in 1 week in the UK isn't a flop? honestly the DS totally destroyed it with 32k sales in the same region.

Also you have a misleading title, as the UK != the rest of the world. We're looking at 30k units in NA + 6k units in UK so far.

It's funny when we say games like The Conduit is flop, i always hear how the developers are happy with the sales, yet Sony says they happy with the sales but you think otherwise.

I've never addressed if the conduit was a flop or not. Honestly, compared to the hype they generated it was a flop. I'm sure it will make a profit, and I'm sure the PSPGo will make a profit, but those are underwelming sales for a new model that comes with GT for free.

However, if you compare the PSPGo to the PSP 2000 & 3000 it has done well as both of those were complete failures other than keeping the sales from completely plumeting. And before you say that the 3000 boosted sales in Japan, I will claim that was due to Monster Hunter which would have done just as well on the 2000.

PSP-2000 failure!? it sold 273k in Japan in its first week. PSP almost outsold DS in 2008 thanks to slim release (In Japan)

Sorry, I guess I have my facts mixed up. I was looking at past Japanese sales a week or so ago to estimate Go sales and I guess I have it remembered wrong.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

So much for a "flop".

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
nordlead said:
KillerMan said:
nordlead said:
psrock said:
nordlead said:

Sorry, I guess I have my facts mixed up. I was looking at past Japanese sales a week or so ago to estimate Go sales and I guess I have it remembered wrong.

People associate PSP as a failure all the time, it's just amazing. The thing is, it brings in more mony to Sony than the PS3 does. It has sold over 50 million. The only thing that has hurt the PSP is the same thing people bitch about, UMD. People simply don't buy games for it. Most people I know hack the damn thing to play Nintendo games. The Go was needed finaciallly for the company and I am all for it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:

People associate PSP as a failure all the time, it's just amazing. The thing is, it brings in more mony to Sony than the PS3 does. It has sold over 50 million. 

Well, people associate the PS3 as a failure too, so being a somehow smaller failure is not a good excuse.

And it is a failure for the same reason: lower than expectation results. Both of them were expected to be clear market leaders, and they aren't.

Alterego-X said:
psrock said:

People associate PSP as a failure all the time, it's just amazing. The thing is, it brings in more mony to Sony than the PS3 does. It has sold over 50 million. 

Well, people associate the PS3 as a failure too, so being a somehow smaller failure is not a good excuse.

And it is a failure for the same reason: lower than expectation results. Both of them were expected to be clear market leaders, and they aren't.

I wouldn't say that, actually.

I think, at this point, its pretty fair to say that the Wii/DS cater to a demographic set considerably different than that of the PS3/PSP and X360, and the consistant failure to recognize the significant marketshare the PS2 still holds is a severe flaw in the analysis of anyone who does so (look at crossplat sales on it, relative to the Wii, for example.  The Wii usually beats it... but not by much.  Pretty odd for the "hottest" new console vs the "former" near-decade-old leader, wouldn't you say?).  I realize you're not talking PS2 here -- I'm using it as an example of how blindfolded some viewpoints on marketshare really are.

Within their target markets, I actually think all 3 "next-gen" consoles are doing quite well, relative to last generation, where competitors for the same demographics as the PS2 most certainly did not match up, in terms of sales.  If you merely extrapolate the current marketshares over the next 3-4 years (despite the PS3 marketshare continuing to rise), you'll see that all 3 will have done exceedingly well by the end of the generation, no matter what the fanboy comparisons say.

The PSP Go, and the entire PSP line, are doing just fine.  They are not even remotely failures, except from a meaningless fanboy perspective.  If the UK percentages are any indication of WW numbers, in terms of revenue generated by a handheld many forum posters considered to be "too expensive", the PSP Go did quite well for itself, and apparently boosted interest in the PSP-3000 to boot.

Percents lie. Numbers don't.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Percents lie. Numbers don't.

Exactly.  Give us an actual unit sale break down among both skus, Sony.