By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Hardware 3/12-3/18

hanafuda said: johnsobas said: Where are the people saying wii sales were down because of demand and not a supply issue? Sales go up 23k with no significant releases at all. I guess you have to ask yourself this question then: How come practically none of the 2 million Wii owners in Japan are buying any Wii games?
Lets not forget the virtual console ;) The NES/SNES were super popular in Japan - Im sure a heap of people are buying the Wii just for one game, and some VC goodness.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

No question or doubt that Nintendo rules Japan at the moment. And just wait for Brain Training, Animal Crossing (etc) to hit the Wii and establish more "killer" (ongoing sellers) apps... PS - I just picked up Sonic, am signing off to start playing :)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

johnsobas said:

I'll let you off on the figures then. You didn't quote your source at first. Still, comparing Eyeshield to Sonic and the Secret Rings? Sorry, but I'm not going to let you off on that. I didn't see anyone predicting Sonic was going to sell 10,000 copies in that Sonic thread... But hey, it isn't a major release, and we only need to judge the Wii on major releases!
Yes let's, because both console & handheld Sonics have lost all relevance in JPN & have been insignificant as a large market seller for quite some time. Eyeshield 21 is definitely more popular than Sonic despite the mascot's notoriety in the land of the Rising Sun. Let's judge it not on only major releases, (sarcasm correct?) but less ambitious titles as well. SPM, No More Heroes, Day of Disaster, Fire Emblem:GoD, etc. Sonic only matters as a major sales release in the west, & especially within the UK.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

Well, I have clocked in a couple of hours of Sonic now - and can completely understand why it hasn't "captured" popular perception. The game is way too hard to get into - the controls are quite complex - and there is a long/complex training system you *have to* complete before you get into the game itself. I think this is a terrible mistake - and there is no real reason why a couple of simple levels could be accessible before all the training. I also think the "intro" (2D sort of comic style) looks terrible, as is the story.. the humour.. etc. Luckily the game itself (once you get to it) is pretty decent - with the first level leaving a feeling of "Wow" in your mouth once complete. I guess what is saddest of all, is that this game is "the best" Sonic game (of recent time). Sega should contract Miyamoto (or any half-decent game designer) - even a couple of hours would fix all these obvious design flaws.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

shams said: Well, I have clocked in a couple of hours of Sonic now - and can completely understand why it hasn't "captured" popular perception.
Yeah, no matter what Wii is always a winner. I thought control system is an asset. Probably Sega will start to support Xbox360

Around the Network

hanafuda said: johnsobas said: no my figures are not incorrect at least according to mediacreate. Last week Wii sold 44k, this week 67k = difference of 23k. No there were no significant releases, and no Sonic is not a significant release in Japan and i never claimed it was. There was a game released last week Eyeshield that sold the same amount as sonic if it makes you feel better. I'll let you off on the figures then. You didn't quote your source at first. Still, comparing Eyeshield to Sonic and the Secret Rings? Sorry, but I'm not going to let you off on that. I didn't see anyone predicting Sonic was going to sell 10,000 copies in that Sonic thread... But hey, it isn't a major release, and we only need to judge the Wii on major releases!
Does it matter if Sonic boombs in Japan when Wii still is selling more than the compition? Both in Software and hardware? So far first party software in Japan is doing great, 3rd party is not that great, but honestly to say that the 2 million players isn't using their Wii:s is stupid. Wii is winning in Japan now and so far the only thing that beats Wii in software is the DS. I think you can read the future. (and by the way Wii is still supply constrained, sorry)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said: So far first party software in Japan is doing great, 3rd party is not that great, but honestly to say that the 2 million players isn't using their Wii:s is stupid. (and by the way Wii is still supply constrained, sorry)
Actually they are playing Wii sports. Yeah Nintendo has some problems with potency... at least when we are talking about stock

Darc Requiem said: Unless I miscounted, Nintendo platforms have 45 out of the top 50 selling games in Japan. Thats just plain crazy. Thats 90% of the list. Even if you take the DS out of the equation. The Wii has 7 games to the 5 games of the PS2,PSP, and PS3. I mean wow....just WOW. DS 38 games Wii 7 games PS2 3 games PSP 1 game PS3 1 game
Wow that's just insane!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Darc Requiem said: Unless I miscounted, Nintendo platforms have 45 out of the top 50 selling games in Japan. Thats just plain crazy. Thats 90% of the list. Even if you take the DS out of the equation. The Wii has 7 games to the 5 games of the PS2,PSP, and PS3. I mean wow....just WOW. DS 38 games Wii 7 games PS2 3 games PSP 1 game PS3 1 game
I call this kind of happening the WiiDS Phenomenon. Nintendo has secured the Japan territory permanently for the rest of this generation. That is a stone cold fact. There'll be guest stars on that list, cameo appearances but for the most part that list from Japan hardware & software will remain dominated by the spectres of Wii & DS. Luckily XBox 360 is a non factor here so maybe PS3 can restore some ground in this place to be the alternative console. The rest of the world they have to contend with Wii AND XBox 360. Seeing as Europe is seemingly a more Playstation friendly country I wonder why they didn't launch there and delay another region. Almost a d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't situation I suppose. PSP seems be rallying in the midst of the 'Tendonaut (juggernaut). It's like once PS2 finally rides off into the sunset PSP will be Sony's leading Japanese market game product. They should begin using this as a strategem. The domination game is over. It's time for them to practice survival. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

The DS is just a phenomen in Japan. I can really see it passing the 30 million mark in 2010. And now where the rest of the world is buying this thing too I really expect it to sell 100 million units. Wii is still selling strong, which is a good thing if you look at the games released in recent weeks. Everyone´s argueing about the Wii demand to go down but honestly: This thing is selling PS2-like without any major games releases in the last two months. As soon as Nintendo puts out Metroid, Mario, Smash Bros. and Wii health pack the Wii could get a DS - like momentum. And even better, it´s appealing to an wider audience than the DS. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy? Who cares about two exclusive games that push the hardware numbers for one or two weeks? Nintendos non - games will push the hardware for years to come - look at Wii sports, it´s still selling good and it sells so many consoles no Final Fantasy could´ve done that...