By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - console + PC games are NOT exclusive

Onyxmeth said:
MAFKKA said:
Onyxmeth said:
MAFKKA said:

So if I chose to only own a PS3, everything released on the PS3 is exclusive, because i dont have a 360 or a Wii?

Bingo!

You know I'm a quote you on this.

But its wrong in this scenario. Because if I would start a thread and say "New PS3 Exclusive announced at E3 - Assassins Creed 2". It would be  flamed to pieces and locked.

Your problem is your inability to seperate the exclusivity that affects you as a gamer, and the exclusivity that turns you into a list making, argumentive fanboy. If we're talking about the latter, then go ahead with your original definition. I prefer to consider exclusivity with how it affects my game playing, not my forum arguing.

You also wouldn't be able to do such regarding AC2, because that is for the forum's attention, not just your own. You can simply not mention any exclusivity at all, regardless of how exclusive a game is. The desire to have to name a topic based on its exclusivity is a fanboy mentality of getting one up on other consoles.

And here i were thinking the TOPIC of this thread was to discuss whether or not CONSOLE/PC was exclusive or not.  And not my definition of exclusive is based upon my individual view on what caters to me as a gamer or not.

Around the Network

I don't see a 360/PC title as a 'Full Exclusive' but I do accept it as a 'Console Exclusive' as it seems the marketplace has a distinction between people who will only consider consoles vs people who will consider consoles and/or PC.

Really, it's kind of weird and only exists because, so far as I can see:

a) MS allowed some 360 titles to hit PC, such as Gears, etc. (although I think they're moving away from that policy)

b) Certain titles were developed with an exclusivity agreement only to 360, allowing them to hit PC too, such as Bioshock, Mass Effect, etc. (and of course increasingly some of those titles are now hitting PS3)

I think such titles cut both ways:

1 - on the one hand, they can be a factor between 360/PS3 and may help tilt favour to 360

2 - on the other hand, for people like me, they prevent me getting interested in a 360 as I play them on a PC instead and they reinforce my desire to play titles like L4D, Bioshock, etc. on a PC

In the end, if a title isn't totally exclusive to a single platform then it does allow people to make another choice, because while there are some only looking at consoles, that's a subset of the total, and so long as there are people like me (yes, there must be more than 1 of me) who are making choices that include PC as a platform, then they are a double edged sword as they can just as easily prevent sales of your console as promote them.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

yet he is on to something Maffka, its obvious that a Xbox 360 game thats on another platform is about as exclusive as modern warfare 2.. simply because its NOT only available on that platform.. the same counts for ALL games available on multiple system, its not your personal situation, its the total look.. I know MANY people who wont buy a Xbox 360 because PC+PS3 is a better combo (according to them + me) and because of not-free online.

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Onyxmeth said:
Xoj said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xoj said:
well i played gears and i don't know a 360 ;).

I played Shadow of the Colossus and I don't own a PS2. ;)

legally shadow of the colossus was released only on PS2.

if you borrow one or used emulator you still needed PS2 things, like the BIOS ps2, and drivers for the emulated cpu and gpu.

Legally it can be played on another console, so might as well leave legality out of this.

format release was ps2.

or you are saying all nintendo games from nintendo the wii are not exclusive because they can be emulated on PC? .

a Gears of war PC format version exist, one tailered for the PC, it's no longer exclusive.

emulation tricks the software to think its another console.

Onyxmeth said:
MAFKKA said:

But its wrong in this scenario. Because if I would start a thread and say "New PS3 Exclusive announced at E3 - Assassins Creed 2". It would be  flamed to pieces and locked.

Your problem is your inability to seperate the exclusivity that affects you as a gamer, and the exclusivity that turns you into a list making, argumentive fanboy. If we're talking about the latter, then go ahead with your original definition. I prefer to consider exclusivity with how it affects my game playing, not my forum arguing.

You also wouldn't be able to do such regarding AC2, because that is for the forum's attention, not just your own. You can simply not mention any exclusivity at all, regardless of how exclusive a game is. The desire to have to name a topic based on its exclusivity is a fanboy mentality of getting one up on other consoles.

I like what you've got going here, Onyxmeth. It's good stuff.

It really speaks to your mindset and your purchasing decisions - if I buy Dragon Age Origins, it's going to be for my 360, since I'll be damned if I can run it on my PC. So if I want to play Dragon Age, it's going to be exclusively for my 360, just like Arkham Asylum was.

This is a good perspective. I think you have brought us all closer to gaming nirvana.

Around the Network

never never argue with fanboys :)

O.T. I agree.

MAFKKA said:
Onyxmeth said:
MAFKKA said:
Onyxmeth said:
MAFKKA said:

So if I chose to only own a PS3, everything released on the PS3 is exclusive, because i dont have a 360 or a Wii?

Bingo!

And here i were thinking the TOPIC of this thread was to discuss whether or not CONSOLE/PC was exclusive or not.  And not my definition of exclusive is based upon my individual view on what caters to me as a gamer or not.

I'm just trying to expand what people consider when they think of exclusivity. It's still within the guidelines of the topic. If someone starts a topic on "Hardcore vs. Casual" and I argue the merits of those terms and whether they have meaning, that is still on-topic, it's just asking people to open up their minds outside of the typical forum jargon.

When you're actually thinking of purchasing a game, ask yourself who's version of exclusivity affects you the most and which is more beneficial, mine or yours. Not a list wars or a forum argument, an actual purchase.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Xoj said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xoj said:
Onyxmeth said:
Xoj said:
well i played gears and i don't know a 360 ;).

I played Shadow of the Colossus and I don't own a PS2. ;)

legally shadow of the colossus was released only on PS2.

if you borrow one or used emulator you still needed PS2 things, like the BIOS ps2, and drivers for the emulated cpu and gpu.

Legally it can be played on another console, so might as well leave legality out of this.

format release was ps2.

or you are saying all nintendo games from nintendo the wii are not exclusive because they can be emulated on PC? .

a Gears of war PC format version exist, one tailered for the PC, it's no longer exclusive.

emulation tricks the software to think its another console.

What I'm saying is that Shadow of the Colossus can be played on a PS3 or a PS2, regardless of official release. It doesn't matter what the box says. You can walk into a store, buy a PS2 game and pop it into certain PS3s and it will work. End of story. Traditional emulation does not work that way. They require an illegal ROM to be downloaded to play the game. Thus similar to other situations mentioned in this topic, one does not need a PS2 to play an actual legal copy of SOTC.

My point for mentioning this is that just because you played Gears on your PC, and I played SOTC on my PS3, does not mean these can't be considered exclusives to another purchaser on a different machine. Why have predetermined definitions that are only beneficial to game hardware manufacturers? They use them to entice you and stop you from thinking for yourself. My purcahases are made based on my own levels of exclusivity, and yours and everyone elses' should too.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

gamelover2000 said:

this is one of the most redicilous things I have ever heard.. EVERYONE owns a PC so obviously games coming out on PC and a Console are NOT exclusives for that console, its ridicilous, sure its a console exclusive but console exclusive means NOTHING..

Those games are console exclusive and still very important to whatever console has them. Microsoft ofcourse has Games for Windows and the 360 so they have two platforms to satisfy and they often release their 360 games on PC. Lately have have changed attitude and are now forcing PC owners to get a 360 to enjoy Gears 2, Fable 2 and even Halo 3, all sequels to games that got a PC release. I think Microsoft realizes that PC owners are quicker to buy a PS3 if they can get their 360 games on PC. But this doesn't change the fact that for people who dont have a gaming PC console exclusives are just as important as normal exclusives.

I'm a WRPG fan myself and it was the console exclusivity of Oblivion that made me choose the 360. And it's the console exsclusivity of games like Mass Effect, Two Worlds and the upcomming Risen and Divinity 2 that keeps me happy that I pciked the 360. If all of these games were on PS3 aswell then I would have wanted a PS3 instead and I'm sure these console exclusive games are still making people buy Xbox 360s.

If 360/PC means console exclusive then Wii/PC and PS3/PC are also console exclusive. Heck, even DS/PC or PSP/PC would be console exclusive. In that case you can NEVER say that 360/PS3, PS3/Wii, PSP/PS3 or DS/Wii game is console exclusive although they are not even released on PC. You can't use several definitions for one term.