By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Big Forza Fan -- Underwhelmed by the Forza 3 demo. :(

First, I'm a big 360 fan and Forza Fan.  I bought a MS wheel to play it...  My PS3 plays second fiddle most of the time generally because I haven't had it as long and have fewer games.  No fanboy here -- just a gamer.  I just downloaded the Forza 3 demo and played some of the cars and raced a few times.  I must say that I'm really disappointed.  After all the talk from T10, I was expecting quite a bit more from the game overall.  I had the game pre-ordered on Amazon with the $10 GC deal.  I just canceled it and will probably wait until it is cheap.  Dang, I was so looking forward to this being epic.  I buy VERY few games on release at $60 but this was going to be my first in a while.  Not any more.

The background on the demo track is pretty impressive and overall the car models have improved (cockpit view is just so-so IMO), but the full experience in just incremental rather than revolutionary IMO.

The damage modeling is not any better than Forza 2.  In fact, it may be worse.  I thrashed the porshe and it took multiple rollovers to finally knock the rear wing off and bend some of the sheet metal.  I had it set to simulation mode...  The "detailed bottoms" of the cars are mostly flat black panels with a couple of tube-looking things sticking out of the bottom.  Perhaps they should have left rollovers out of the game and not touted the realism of that aspect because it isn't.

The sense of speed is better in F3 than in F2 so that's a plus.  More cars and tracks certainly would be a plus in the final game, but, honestly, I was fine with the number of cars and tracks in F2 so that's really just bonus content as far as I'm concerned.  Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but F3 feels more like an expansion pack with some graphics tweaks rather than a new game.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there are going to be a whole lot of sub 90's reviews calling this game evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I know diehard fans are going to flame me -- so be it.  I'm just calling it like I see it from a disappoined fan's view.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

Yeah, I'm feeling exactly the same way. I was actually a little disappointed on the graphics front, personally. I've been hearing a lot of talk about how there's supposedly twice the amount of polys per car model as GT5, or something along those lines, but to be honest the gameplay footage of GT5 from TGS on YouTube looks better.

Just my opinion as a non-biased tri-console owner, please don't flame.

i liked the demo
but i will not judge the game over a tiny demo
ill wait for reviews

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

I don't understand some people shrugging off the demo. It is MUCH better than F2 in every way. Sometimes I think some of you haven't even played F2 or are remembering it better than it was. I plan on getting F3 but it won't be a release day pickup. Just to many good games coming out that I will play more.

2 years ago I was into racing a lot more than I am now. If only this was released then.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

I never played Forza 2 and I hadn't really seriously tried a real racing game since I got my 360. I was really surprised by the quality, no slowdowns (not that I expect those from a racing game) and no pop-ups either. It looked fantastic from start to finish, and that without taking it's toll on the gameplay is really impressive.I'm not going to buy it because I'm not into racing games but from all the racing demos I've played this one was the first that really got my attention and I wanted to finish 1st on harder difficulties where I normally just breeze through easy and then remove the demo.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
I'm not sure what you expected.... the game looks better and there is more of it... there was never going to be a huge change, there never is in game series of this nature.

Well maybe if Turn 10 didn't hyped it up to the roof (of the universe) people wouldn't be whining now. All that bullshit about Forza 3 beeing the definitive racing game of this gen, with best everything... bla bla bla. Without the hype people ppl would be happy with what they're getting and no fan would be disappointed.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

Another case of an overhyped game. 360 fans have fallen into the same trap that they so constantly criticize PS3 fans for. Frankly, I find it amusing.

It's like you see a movie without any preconceptions, no ones opinion. How many times have I heard a movie is shit and then I see it, expecting it to be real bad, and I am pleasantly surprised. Conversely, you see a hyped up movie and expect the world. 9/10 times that great movie will not deliver. For me, one exception of a hyped movie that delivered was the LOTR trilogy.

So, the danger of hyping a game is that people will expect the world. But you never know, F3 may be a LOTR. For me 9 times out of 10, that is not what happens.

The demo was what I expected. Limited set of tracks and cars. None of the online modes or customization options. No store front and auction houses. All it did was give a small taste of the gameplay and graphics, both of which were completely fantastic.

Damage modeling will only go as far as the car manufacturers allow it to.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.