By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Do You THINK of Motion Controls?

Alright because of the Wii it seems a lot of people in the industry are seeing Motion controls as the next big thing in gaming. Personally when it comes to motion controls I think they're a great OPTION to have. However, as a standard I hate it. I prefer the traditional feel of a controller whether it be DualShock 3 or the Xbox 360 controller my preference is with those. And if next gen the standard control set up is motion controllers like the Wiimote, PSwand or P-Natal I think I might find a new hobby. Anyone with me? What do you think about a Future of gaming where Motion Controls like the aforementioned are the standard for all games?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

I do not like motion controls at all and I am not intrested for that reason in the entire Wii console, Natal and Sony motion control..

I chose a PS3 because its controller made me able to lay on the couch and play.. Motion controls and keyboards dont allow you to do that

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

i completely agree....i just prefer the feeling of holding the controller/one controller (not a DS3 and a wand or Wiimote and nunchuck). I sure hope next gen wont all be motion control. ..I hope the NSMB Wii will just be using the Wiimote as a regular control sideways with buttons 1,2 as A,B.

as long as i still get to play games with the good ol' button-bashing and control sticks, i dont mind them. there are some games i think would be amazing with really good motion controls (an incredibly well-made zelda wii - the sword-fighting and archery would be great) but i'd still want to do the rest of the game the old-fashioned way.

what im really looking forward to, though, is the day of fully-responsive, fully immersive virtual reality

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of AAA titles that really take advantage of motion controls in a natural way. Super Mario Galaxy is still one of the best examples of motion control implementation around. It does allow you to lay and play on the couch and you don't have to have both hands in one spot, your arms are free so you can actually get more comfortable but again it depends on the game..

Now should all games have motion controls? My answer is no, not every game is suited to that and that's why Nintendo made sure they still had buttons. I think motion control will continue to evolve and become the industry standard but they'll always be a place for traditional controls, I mean you can still buy arcade fighting sticks! They'll always be a market there.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
i completely agree....i just prefer the feeling of holding the controller/one controller (not a DS3 and a wand or Wiimote and nunchuck). I sure hope next gen wont all be motion control. ..I hope the NSMB Wii will just be using the Wiimote as a regular control sideways with buttons 1,2 as A,B.

That's exactly how the controls are going to be.

I think that as you said they are great as OPTION for titles that really benefit from them (tennis, golf etc).
It's just imho but each genre has it's own best set of controls:

fightning games- arcade sticks
driving games - driving wheels
arcade/action-adventure - gamepad
point&click - mouse or IR pointer
strategy - mouse&keybord
shooters- mouse & keybord
flight simulators- classic joystick + keybord
rpg- mouse
etc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I agree with Shadow Soldier - just because the Wii sells does not mean that all gamers are into motion controls. It's highly unlikely that I'll pick up the wand, unless it becomes really central to important games such as GoW3.

I'm interested, but even on the Wii, which is built around motion controls, only a few games really use motion controls well and those, I'd note, are specifically designed to like Wii Sports, etc.

Super Mario Galaxy, etc. bare register.

In other words I think there are few titles / games currently that really lend themselves to motion controls.

I would be more interested if they were used better to augment traditional titles. For example, I really miss leaning in FPS titles, that should be easy with motion control - whether using Sony Wand or Wii Mote or leaning a little with Natal and having it pick it up and translate it to a lean.

I have a Wii and like it and will probably try the Sony Wand as I have an EyeToy already so I guess I'm half way there.

Natal I'm actually least convinced about for games, but want it for my PC as an interface.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I don't have a problem with motion controls, in fact, when their used accordingly or to make a game more interesting, I think their awesome. The thing I have a problem with is when Devs get lazy and come up with unrealistic and repetitive motions (waggle) for games. I also really hate the way Nintendo forces everyone to use motion controls, I mean some games do benefit from it, but most don't. I think next gen will be even more  disappointing than this one if motion controls become the new standard. I, like many pre Wii gamers have this absurd notion that when  playing a game, I wanna be as relaxed as possible. Sweating and tiring myself out to wii-boxing isn't relaxing. I think if motion controls takeover and become the new standard, the traditional avid gamers (who are the backbone of the industry) will abandon console gaming entirely. Making challenging and story-centered games won't be viable or lucrative anymore, the gaming audience will become very fickle (casual) and all the new games will be flashy, depthless pap. It happened to the all the entertainment industries ( adult, film, music) .In short, motion controls should be optional, not mandatory.

Can't see Microsoft going total motion controls anyway, they might screw over or rip-off their avid gamers, but  I don't think they'd completely abandon them, not as long as their profitable.