By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I miss just looking at the back of the box to decide which game to buy.

I sometimes think that the easy access to reviews/previews/videos is sometimes ruining the pure joy of gaming.  For those of you old enough to remember doing so, I miss just going into a store and picking out a game simply based on looking at the back of the box (NES/SNES days).  Nobody told me whether a game was good or bad.  I went in blind.  You maybe read a Nintendo Power article once in awhile, but if you didn't have a subscription (like I didn't), ignorance was often bliss.

Does anyone else sometimes think that the easy access to information has actually been a negative in some ways?

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Around the Network

Nope! I ended up with "Hogans Alley" because of box art and no reviews. That game sucked!

Do I want rubbish games? No! Though a good box art does always help me buy a game

Back in the day I chose tons of great games blindly based solely on the box art/screenshots. Mega Man 2, Gunsmoke, Castlevania, Ducktales; just to name a few. There are even many games I remember enjoying and only finding out years later that they weren't considered "good" games at the time. I'm talking about going into a game blind with no preconceived notions. Joy-gasm.  Obviously there were some stinkers as well.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

I get where you're coming from. It's "back in the innocent days" kinda nostalgia.

Around the Network

That was awesome..I remember pickin many good games,but many bad also.
Worst was Chaos Strike or what it was..
Best would be Silent Bomber.

Take my love, take my land..

SAME HERE

like 5 - 10 years ago, that used to be the deciding factor for me!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Yeah, I remember doing this as well. Good times.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I do miss looking at the back of the box to determine whether I buy the game or not. I think I still do that today. I never really look at reviews these days.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

Now, people focus more on what is wrong with a game rather than what it does well. Nothing is perfect, but unfortunately we reject many awesome games solely because they are not, or do not meet a certain "journalists" agenda.

Most games, you can judge accurately by what's on the box if you are old enough. I have read enough about gaming in the past 2 years that I can walk into a Gamestop right now and pick the winners from the stinkers.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."