By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I miss just looking at the back of the box to decide which game to buy.

I agree. I miss those days, but on the other hand I'm buying so many games now because of reviews/forums I would never had played otherwise.

Around the Network

NICE THREAD

I do miss it, but the last game I bought blind was Mission Impossible on PS. MAN WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY. Back then I said 'never again' and now I'm proud of my AAA/AA library.

That said...Sometimes when a review points out the negatives in game then I can't help noticing them THE WHOLE TIME and it kind of ruins things for me. A prime example would be Fable. Also, if a game get's say 7/10 then it's hard to 'allow myself' to enjoy it fully.

Another take on this: I think good reviews and hype can actually increase the bliss of enjoying a AAA game. 2 examples
1) MGS on PS. Man what an experience. After reading the OPM (PSM back then) review I poured my soul into that game. I never bought it, but probably rented it 15-20 times. Finished it probably 10 times.
2) Halo. No one had an Xbox back then here in South Africa. Of course I knew all about Halo. Then one guy came back from England with an Xbox WITHOUT HALO. I nearly killed him. Then a few months later I borrowed Halo from some other guy who showed up and borrowed the previous guy's Xbox. It was in the middle of my final school exams but I felt a flying f#ck. Played it solidly for 3 days and never played Xbox again for another 5years. Without the hype I wouldn' t have gone to such extreme lengths.

*nostalgia overload*

Not really Its because of melee thzt I have so many nintendo games

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

But back in the day your game experience was kind of small. Even if you picked up a bad game you probably would have enjoyed it; I am sure some people have played games that they liked but are in fact very horrible.

Lostplanet22 said:
But back in the day your game experience was kind of small. Even if you picked up a bad game you probably would have enjoyed it; I am sure some people have played games that they liked but are in fact very horrible.

Very true, when I was younger any game I played was cool. In fact to this day there aren't to many games I've played that I have hated, unless they had terrible glitches.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network

Didn't anybody ever tell you, don't judge a book by its cover?

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Gah Double Post

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Yes, I used to love it. Back at the start of the PS2 era, when I was about 12-14, before I started using the internet, those were the days. I'd always go into town whenever I had £30-40 scraped up to go and find a game....I picked out some real winners with no info at all - Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, WRC 2, Sly Raccoon, Burnout 2, Timesplitters 2...awesome. There were some bad'uns as well, such as Rally Fusion and Midnight Club 2, but still.

What suprises me now is how little I actually rely on reviews...I just get a feel for a game based on some previews, gage the hype a bit, and It's either on my 'I fancy it' radar or not. Only if a good looking game gets a tidalwave of negativity do I change my mind (GT5:PSP maybe?). Katamari Forever, Guitar Hero 5, Professor Layton 2, Uncharted 2, I've bought all of these recently (well, preordered UC2) without so much as giving a single damn about their reviews. Sometimes, you just know.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

I understand. I feel nostalgic for that approach. I played many great games back in my Amiga days that I doubt I'd ever have played in today's internet culture. It's also probably true that I was more easily pleased and excitable back then, however.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

No i just get games i want.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB