By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

@ZenfoldorVGI:

Comparing FPS game to racing game is a bit unfair. It is easier to make good looking racing game.

Around the Network

@Zenfoldor
The pic you used from the internet is actually from a Crysis config mod.

Barozi said:
shio said:
Barozi said:
ROFLMAO !!!

MMORPGs = hardcore.

Once again your credibility goes down the toilet shio.

Say that to the millions of MMORPG players that each lost thousands of hours in just 1 game. In pure design, MMORPGs are the closest to "harcore", because in order to compete with the best you are forced to lose hundreds of hours just to get in a position where such thing is possible, regardless of the skill. You have a need to band with a guild or other groups of dozens and, with a strategy already in hand, to coordinate with them in order to achieve the objectives.

Halo 3? Just shoot the bastards. Great strategy there!! And skill?! You're playing with a damn gamepad?! Just let the auto-aim do the work, there's no need to aim it yourself.

I ask to everyone: Why run with 1 leg behind my back, when I can just run with both legs?

Oh I already asked a couple of them and they agree with me.

I've lost 1000 hours in Pokemon games for Gameboy and they're surely not hardcore.

Again, in pure design, MMORPGs are the closest to hardcore as you can get. It's basically a secon life, a virtual life where you socialize and compete with other people. You are always forced to lose hundreds of hours just contest the top regardless of skill, something no other game from another genre has done.

Just play EVE Online, a game that truly embodies what MMORPGs are. In EVE Online, it's free-for-all, there's betrayal inside corporations that could even lead to the complete destruction of a corporation of thousands of people (which happened).
You can be scammed, and you can scam others, with no punishment. Those who are have parted their possessions are are being punished by their own stupidity.

If you believe so much that MMORPGs aren't one of the most hardcore sub-genres, then tell me what genres are and why, just so you can listen to yourself.

Reasonable said:

However, what we need to see on consoles, IMHO, is more of the mod/editing community that exists on PC.

Good post.

That said, while many gamers would like to see a mod community for consoles, it is absolutely moot when it comes to the future of gaming, and the migration of developers.

The best thing about PC gaming is the mod community.

However, they've never been a dealbreaker. Just an extra, and not enough people care enough about them to affect anything about the future.

I think you understand that, and yes, your post is very accurate.

As a PC heavy gamer, you put it a lot more gently than I usually do.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Barozi said:
@Zenfoldor

I posted a new one directly screencapped from my rig.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
@ZenfoldorVGI:

Comparing FPS game to racing game is a bit unfair. It is easier to make good looking racing game.

Are there a lot of PC racing games that look better than Gran Turismo 5 will, then?

I think you've just stated a commonly held misconception.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
shio said:

lawl? the current generation of consoles can barely handle HDR lighting, how are they even close to eachother?

There's a pretty difference between GT4 and Crysis. You must be blind for not seeing it.

Assuming we both meant GT5...

I must be blind then.

(Crysis Very High)

Unlike your shots, mine aren't even cherrypicked. They come up on the first pages with a good search.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a graphical difference between PC and console. It's rather significant. I'm just saying that the difference is embellished, hardly generational, and unimportant.

Using graphics as a crutch to prop up a poor PC gaming argument isn't gonna work for much longer anyway, so I can just wait you out.

Zen, don't be silly.  Whatever game you quote on console could be delivered with additional graphical capabilities and resolution on a PC of sufficient strengh.

This is silly.  You can't just limit PC tech to games.  PCs are used for all sorts of high end graphics and simulators and technically they are, looking to currently available graphical cards, memory levels, etc. far more powerful than HD consoles.

They real point is that fewer and fewer games are likely to aim for the full potential of a PC version vs the lower cost but probably higher selling console version.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Barozi said:
@Zenfoldor

Yeah I mean the pic below that.

Reasonable said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
shio said:

lawl? the current generation of consoles can barely handle HDR lighting, how are they even close to eachother?

There's a pretty difference between GT4 and Crysis. You must be blind for not seeing it.

Zen, don't be silly.  Whatever game you quote on console could be delivered with additional graphical capabilities and resolution on a PC of sufficient strengh.

This is silly.  You can't just limit PC tech to games.  PCs are used for all sorts of high end graphics and simulators and technically they are, looking to currently available graphical cards, memory levels, etc. far more powerful than HD consoles.

They real point is that fewer and fewer games are likely to aim for the full potential of a PC version vs the lower cost but probably higher selling console version.

I agree. screenshot comparisons are very silly, and I've said many times, that the PC is capable of generaing better graphics than the consoles. However, the difference is embellished constantly, and yes, I am talking about available games, not theory.

While us graphic entheusiasts see a vast difference between small lighting differences and textures, really, this is a very small difference, compared to the leap in graphics from previous generations, but we spend so much of our time obsessing about it, we completely forget that we are obsessing about small insignificant differences.

However, this all comes down to the PC gamer and their inherant need for absolute elitism. "Of COURSE PC is a better platform." When you build and obsess over something for years, it pisses you off when someone gets the same thing from a 20 minute trip to walmart for 199, but that's the reality we're faced with, isn't it?

I mean, isn't it? A $199 20 minute trip to walmart gives us an easier HD experience, with access to well produced high end AAA exclusive titles that PC gamers would kill for. Isn't that why we need to justify our rigs, rather than accept console gaming as a viable or /GASP equal alternative?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Barozi said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Barozi said:
@Zenfoldor

Yeah I mean the pic below that.

lol, damn screenshots. You get the idea.

NO NO, NO NO NO.