By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN editor: No worthwhile Wii games have released since 2007.

Kantor said:

You argued with me when I was a newcomer. I remember, thanks to that "first post" thread. It wasn't my first post, but my fifth or something.

You really owned me

Meh, I hardly "owned" anyone. All I did was waste both of our time. What good did it do us? It's better for us all to just shrug, acknowledge our difference of opinion, and walk away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an honest debate, but we all know that there are times when nothing's going to change for either side, so why waste time?

Around the Network

My main gripes with the Wii are (1.) the fact that until WM+, there was very little actual motion control and most games were just waggle, (2.) the god awful outdated graphics. I didn't buy my 52" LCD HDTV to play games (or watch movies) in SD and (3.) Nintendo should have included a classic controller with EVERY Wii. The omission of this caused countless games where useless or broken motion controls were simply tacked on to a game and contributed nothing. Including the classic controller would have given developers the option to include more traditional control schemes where appropriate. Not every game needs motion control.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
dougsdad0629 said:
Quote of the article for me.

"What I don't think they accounted for is the fact that the audience they're catering to won't always be there. If you're a casual gamer, you're just that. Your interest in gaming could be as ephemeral as your interest in a new television show. Sony and Microsoft know that their core audience will be there in five years. Nintendo just can't say the same thing."

This quote is stupid.

At least half the core gamers of the PS2 went to the XBOX360 and a bit of those + casuals went to the wii.

It proves that you can't trust or rely on any segment of gamers. Sony can testify on that point. Nintendo learnt it too with the N-64 and more so with the GC. That's why they're doing the wii!

On topic: The value of a game is subjectif. The editor of the article isn't too objectif. I hope this doesn't come through when doing his job. But i fear it will, seeing the 'wii-dislike - sometimes hate' on the net.

A bit of an exaggeration, IMO.  I believe there's a very large portion of the PS2 audience that was waiting for the PS3 price to drop to a more traditional price point ($299).

The point here is the Wii haters need to sell there Wii's and be done with it. If Nintendo is pissing you off that badly then just get rid of the damn thing. Problem solved.

And how dare anyone complain about the Wii and praise the god damn Game Cube so much. That takes alot of balls. That thing sold what 15 million units?

Face it the "hardcore" bailed on Nintendo in the PS1 generation, PS1 100m > N64 35m. And they really bailed on Nintendo in the Game Cube generation. These "hardcore" dropped Nintendo like a bad habit and now there bitching and complaining like a 12 year old girl with a skinned knee. Well too bad. You dropped Nintendo for the PS1 and PS2 so you cant complain if there ganna change and try to get involved in a new market.

I also find it funny that people are talking about casuals not sticking around for long. Like the hardcore didn't do the same thing to Nintendo.

Just for the record i dont agree with him in any way. He needs to sell it so i dont gatta be bothered with his shitty opinions anymore. The Wii has plenty of great games, And ya know what so does the 360 and PS 3. Im not a fanboy at all.

i can see were you are coming from but i still luv my wii and go on it everyday with my gf,family and friends. all nintendo has tried to do is to move videogames towards the masses and get everybody involved. by doing this they might of taken there eye off the core nintendo players only slightly but id rather be on my wii having fun than in a dark room alone with my ps3.

Around the Network
Kage848 said:

The point here is the Wii haters need to sell there Wii's and be done with it. If Nintendo is pissing you off that badly then just get rid of the damn thing. Problem solved.

And how dare anyone complain about the Wii and praise the god damn Game Cube so much. That takes alot of balls. That thing sold what 15 million units?

Face it the "hardcore" bailed on Nintendo in the PS1 generation, PS1 100m > N64 35m. And they really bailed on Nintendo in the Game Cube generation. These "hardcore" dropped Nintendo like a bad habit and now there bitching and complaining like a 12 year old girl with a skinned knee. Well too bad. You dropped Nintendo for the PS1 and PS2 so you cant complain if there ganna change and try to get involved in a new market.

I also find it funny that people are talking about casuals not sticking around for long. Like the hardcore didn't do the same thing to Nintendo.

Just for the record i dont agree with him in any way. He needs to sell it so i dont gatta be bothered with his shitty opinions anymore. The Wii has plenty of great games, And ya know what so does the 360 and PS 3. Im not a fanboy at all.

The Gamecube is the only Nintendo console I liked less than my Wii.  BTW, I loved my N64.  That console for pure fun factor rates higher than the PS1, 2 or 3 on my all time list.  The reason I haven't gotten rid of my Wii is that my 5 yr. old (occasionally) enjoys it and it's the only videogames we play together.

dougsdad0629 said:
(3.) Nintendo should have included a classic controller with EVERY Wii. The omission of this caused countless games where useless or broken motion controls were simply tacked on to a game and contributed nothing. Including the classic controller would have given developers the option to include more traditional control schemes where appropriate. Not every game needs motion control.

Allow me to present an example of what I was just talking about. There are two responses here. The first is to flame this guy for his opinion. This can be done in a variety of ways, such as:

-Shouting down his opinion.

-Pointing out that what he cares about is not what others care about.

-Citing sales data to show he's a minority this generation.

-Stating that he should have known all along that a Wii is SD rather than HD.

-Naming Wii games that contradict his allegations.

-Etc.

None of these are going to get me anywhere, though. If I make point one, we'll be crapping up the forums for a page or two, risking a ban (which unfortunately will never arrive), and generally squandering what is otherwise a fine day. Point two will result in either an ad hominem response or, more likely, a paragraph about how he's talking about his own opinion, so it's totally valid, and STFU. Option three is meaningless; if I'm lucky, I'll get the always-fun Britney Spears and/or car analogy. With four, I'll get a "my kid wanted it" or "I just bought it for the (unfulfilled) promise of Mario/Zelda/Metroid." (Edit: Nailed it!) Five is just begging for a List Warz. God I hate List Warz.

And so on and so forth. Note that all of these options will drag on for one, maybe two hours. If both sides are really tenacious, this squabble would result in the thread being bumped all weekend, long after everyone else ceased to check this thread, let alone care. And in the end, I'd still prefer the Wii to the other systems, and this guy would continue to post the same talking points in other threads, regardless of whether said opinions are on-topic or not.

As such, I'll limit myself to pointing out that there is nothing the Classic Controller can do that the Wiimote+Nunchuk can't also do, so this plea is pretty meaningless. It'd have saved me fifteen bucks though, so I guess I'd be down with that.

Mr Khan said:

I just like when these people try and carefully establish their credentials as one-time Nintendo fans so that they can post their bullshit with a straight face. It makes it look like the former Nintendo fans are more vehemently anti-Wii than the old corps of Nintendo haters (i.e., Nintendo haters who originated from some time prior to Wii's release)

This is kind of how i feel too along with the person who asked where were all Nintendo's hardcore fans last gen?  Nintendo clearly had to do something different this generation and anyone who is a long time fan of Nintendo has to concede this point.

I really think part of the problem this generation, unlike previous generations, is that not all gaming experiences can be had on a single box which seems to be confusing for a certain number of people.  The PS1 and PS2 were so dominant in sales that they got the vast majority of major software releases and they could be realistically viewed as one stop gaming shops (for everything except Nintendo first party).  You could buy a PS and love it because it provided you with pretty much every kind of game you could want. 

Fast forward to this generation where the same can't be said for any of the consoles and people who have grown up only needing a single system to satsify their gaming needs are a little at sea in today's era of divided software supremacy.  If you buy a single system this generation you are going to be missing out on some great games, buy two systems this generation and you are still going to miss out on a fair number of great games.  Some people have to make a decision on which single console to purchase this generation, like myself, but at least i can acknowledge that i am missing out on some great other games. Yet there are people who want to convince you that one system is software dominant this generation and that it deserves your undivided devotion, that the 360 or the PS3 or the Wii doesn't need to be part of your gaming equation.  These, i feel, are the people who are indulging in self-deception.

Great post hsrob.

noname2200 said:
dougsdad0629 said:
(3.) Nintendo should have included a classic controller with EVERY Wii. The omission of this caused countless games where useless or broken motion controls were simply tacked on to a game and contributed nothing. Including the classic controller would have given developers the option to include more traditional control schemes where appropriate. Not every game needs motion control.

Allow me to present an example of what I was just talking about. There are two responses here. The first is to flame this guy for his opinion. This can be done in a variety of ways, such as:

-Shouting down his opinion.

-Pointing out that what he cares about is not what others care about.

-Citing sales data to show he's a minority this generation.

-Stating that he should have known all along that a Wii is SD rather than HD.

-Naming Wii games that contradict his allegations.

-Etc.

None of these are going to get me anywhere, though. If I make point one, we'll be crapping up the forums for a page or two, risking a ban (which unfortunately will never arrive), and generally squandering what is otherwise a fine day. Point two will result in either an ad hominem response or, more likely, a paragraph about how he's talking about his own opinion, so it's totally valid, and STFU. Option three is meaningless; if I'm lucky, I'll get the always-fun Britney Spears and/or car analogy. With four, I'll get a "my kid wanted it" or "I just bought it for the (unfulfilled) promise of Mario/Zelda/Metroid." (Edit: Nailed it!) Five is just begging for a List Warz. God I hate List Warz.

And so on and so forth. Note that all of these options will drag on for one, maybe two hours. If both sides are really tenacious, this squabble would result in the thread being bumped all weekend, long after everyone else ceased to check this thread, let alone care. And in the end, I'd still prefer the Wii to the other systems, and this guy would continue to post the same talking points in other threads, regardless of whether said opinions are on-topic or not.

As such, I'll limit myself to pointing out that there is nothing the Classic Controller can do that the Wiimote+Nunchuk can't also do, so this plea is pretty meaningless. It'd have saved me fifteen bucks though, so I guess I'd be down with that.

How about more buttons or a dual analog option for people to have as an alternative?  I'm talking about choices here.  It would have allowed developers to give players choices of control schemes either because the motion controls were poorly implemented or just because the player wanted a more traditional interface.  Take Red Steel for example.  Very poor controls.  However, if people had had an option to use dual analog controls for movement and a button press for sword fighting, the game would have been more fun for some people.  Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and Metroid had great FPS controls and probably didn't need the option of other control schemes, but more options are always good.  I'm sure people can think of other examples.