By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Sales = 250K WW this week, BIGGEST Comeback ever?!

Hopefully it can keep up.

Around the Network

it's nice to see i was dead on in my prediction for the sales. it still remains to be seen whether my baseline prediction will come true, but i feel better and better about it (200k/wk).

i think what we're seeing is the market has been wanting ps3's for a long time, but due to price they were holding back and buying competitor's consoles.

now that the price is not an issue, these people are making their presence know. additionally, the 360 saw a drop last week...which is consistent with my theory. we will see a bump due to odst, but it will be small and brief.

i think the xbox is going to officially go with the position of "we are so far ahead it doesn't matter how badly we're outsold."

art is the excrement of culture

the console is destined to pick up pace and sell great numbers, thanks to the redesign.

koffieboon said:
darthdevidem01 said:

this includes PS3 probably being able to outsell Wii in Japan (for this years sales only).

You are aware that PS3 is still 100k behind Wii in Japan for the year even after this week? I'm not saying it can't happen, but probably implies a big chance of it happening.

That predictions of mine is strictly based on the FF13 PS3 boost.....with the bundle announced, it seems more likley!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Nintendogamer: ODST won't make almost any effect on X360 sales, maybe X360 will hit 150k but now I think it's the most it can do. PS3 will be something like this 200-220.

Around the Network

PS3 haz no gaemes

Do you want japanese voices in FF13 and Versus 13? Write to these guys and tell them: support@square-enix-usa.com

Your threads make you earn tons of money. You know how to promote yourself!!!!!

And in the next ranking PS3 would be on par in the Wii and in the next it may drop below. The marketleader is getting a price drop.

darthdevidem01 said:
koffieboon said:
darthdevidem01 said:

this includes PS3 probably being able to outsell Wii in Japan (for this years sales only).

You are aware that PS3 is still 100k behind Wii in Japan for the year even after this week? I'm not saying it can't happen, but probably implies a big chance of it happening.

That predictions of mine is strictly based on the FF13 PS3 boost.....with the bundle announced, it seems more likley!

I'm sure it will sell some extra consoles, but it will only be able to overtake the Wii if it is close enough. Is there anything else released on PS3 to keep it close to Wii when it has a price cut, Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros?

Xoj, what exactly were the Wii numbers when the 360 couldn't reach it? I'm sure they were much higher than they are now.. AS was said in another thread, Wii has done 1 Million EVERY 3 weeks, as an average for it's entire lifespan, the same as Sony has been able to do for the last 3 weeks. It's not that great when you consider that fact.

You also have to consider the fact that this was a $100 price cut on one of the most expensive consoles in history going into the holidays.

Also just to make sure I make my point:

http://au.cube.ign.com/articles/463/463155p1.html

US, January 14, 2004 - Nintendo's vice president of corporate affairs recently returned from time off with her newborn daughter and updated us on GameCube sales in the US, some developments for 2004 and more. She also used her powerful Jedi mind tricks to make us believe she was giving us new information on the future when in fact she was merely dodging our questions. Following that interview:

IGNcube: So tell us, why is everyone at Nintendo so happy?

Perrin Kaplan: Well, number-one we did incredibly well in 2003 on both of our hardware systems. In fact, we basically won 2003 and moved ourselves to the number two spot and Microsoft's Xbox to number three.

IGNcube: And this is in the US or is this worldwide?

Perrin: In the US.

IGNcube: That's excellent news. Congratulations. So let's go over this from the beginning. How were December GameCube sales?

Perrin: Year-on-year we were up 68.5% [in December] based on units sold. We sold about 1.1 million GameCubes in December. We did a little under half a million in December of last year by comparison. For the whole year we were up 35%. Our competitors were both in the negative.

IGNcube: Wow, that's fantastic news.

Perrin: It's really good.

IGNcube: How about GameCube life-to-date sales in the US?

Perrin: We're at 6.8 million GameCubes sold in the US life-to-date and we sold about 3.17 million of those this year.

IGNcube: Excellent. That's in the US though. What about global sales?

Perrin: On global sales, I don't know if you saw but Iwata made a comment to Reuters that our global holiday sales were up 70% year-on-year.

koffieboon said:
darthdevidem01 said:
koffieboon said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I'm sure it will sell some extra consoles, but it will only be able to overtake the Wii if it is close enough. Is there anything else released on PS3 to keep it close to Wii when it has a price cut, Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros?

Tekken 6........and I can't think of anything else that strikes out atm.

@keep_the_change

thanks

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey