By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Lost Planet confirmed for PS3, but does anyone care?

Capcom has disliked Sony for awhile, as far as I can tell. When the Dreamcast was released they put a lot of support behind it and moved RE to the GC, but reality forced them back into Sony's camp. That doesn't seem to be happening this time.

Edit:  As a comparison, in 2000 Capcom released about 20 games on the Dreamcast, about 10 on the PS1, and two on the PS2.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
jman8 said:
A mediocre and unoriginal game selling well on PS3? Who does Capcom think we are, Xbox owners?

(Please don't start a killing spree on me ;)

No, it was funny.. I think even Xbots would chuckle to themselves on that one.  But then again alot of people do get defensive.

Point is, they are putting Lost Planet out on the PS3 and it will make them more money, its just too bad it didnt come out a few months ago- they could have really cleaned up.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

this is cool... but who outside of japan gave a crap about monster hunter? i've never heard of it...

vizunary said:
this is cool... but who outside of japan gave a crap about monster hunter? i've never heard of it...

Unless you want to see the PS3 turn into the 360 (i.e. no market in Japan), you probably could care about such things. Play it down all you want, Monster Hunter 3 is a huge blow to the PS3's Japanese market.

Whoa that guys a bit of a Fanboy. It's to be expected and ports arn't the end of the world.

The PS3 is selling how the Wii was supposed to sell, so companies are going to take the same "Wait and See" approach. It's most likely why Sony was forced to cut the price of the PS3 again.

Once the pricecut moves a sufficent amount of 80 gigs they'll get back to focusing big games on it.

I say 80 gigs, because anyone who cared about what was cut out of the 20 gig likely would have the extra hundski to spend on the 80 gig over the 40.

Around the Network

@Diomedes1976

You made my point for me thank you. Exactly the PS3 is going to get ports rather then the big exclusive titles. The militant Sony fans need to come to terms with this. Their is ample financial incentive for companies to not develop exclusive titles for the platform. Some on these forums are attacking Capcom for doing smart business, and behave as if Capcom owes them something.

I cannot believe that both you, and I can see the silver lining. Yes Sony lost a major exclusive title. However it is not the end of the world if your hope as a gamer is to get many titles, and still maintain support. The PS3 is still going to get support its just not going to be that dedicated support it had.

Frankly these militants need to be happy that they are getting something. Rather then nothing at all even if it is scraps. Sony needs to maintain developer support for their platform. Thankfully the market has the 360 in the mix. That makes porting more profitable. The developers can make a high end game for the 360, and then port it to the PS3 for additional profits. That helps to defer the expenses, and reduces the costs for games for the PS3.

Wow...

Diomedes1976 said:
Capcom can go to hell ,they havent released a single PS3 game and are stil nitpicking that the console doesnt sell as expected .Go to hell Capcom ,the console is selling better that the 360 last year worldwide so shut the mouth .

Lost Planet is a good game ,and with the free online play and all the DLC in one BR it should be a competent package .If it is sold at a reduced price I could even buy it myself .But this isnt the kind of game we were expecting to counter the loss of MH3 .

All in all if Dark Void and SF4 are heading for the PS3 (even as multiplattform ) I think it would be a acceptable change .We lose MH3 and get instead Dark Void ,Streetfighter 4 ,Bionic Commando and Lost Planet .Four games ,three of them new ,instead of one .

Dodece :I know you like the current situation but you are calculating it like a madman.You see ,most of the games are being announced for the PS3 .The Wii ,on the other hand ,cant say the same .Prototype ?Pandora the Box ?Battlefield Bad Company ?Army of Two ?Fallout 3 ?Dark Void ?Bionic Commando?Etc etc .The day the new games are announced for 360 and Wii exclusively then you speak ,like it or now but even with the PS3 selling less its still a safer bet to develop a game for 360-PS3-PC and spend something in the PS3 version that to develop a totally new (and screwed ) Wii version from scratch because the machine cant handle the game .

Every month you seem to get a little more bitter and delusional ...

You (probably) shouldn't do a direct comparison of the systems with aligned launches on a worldwide basis to make any conclusions. The PS3 has 3 regions it can sell in (remember most third parties are regional) as compared to two for the XBox 360, the XBox 360 lived in 'the shadow' of the PS3 (and was bashed for being too expensive by Sony fans) until E3 2006, the XBox 360 was supply limited through a large portion of 2006 whereas the PS3 has been readily available since soon after launch, the PS3 has had a 1 Million unit boost from their launch in Europe, and the PS3 is much later to market meaning it has to catch up.

The Wii has also had way more games announced since the platforms launched ... The PS3 had over 200 games announced as of January 1st 2007 when most people where asking what was going to be available for the Wii; since then there have been more games released on the Wii in 2007 and its 2008 release list almost matches the PS3's in size. Being that the Wii is going to start 2008 with 2 to 2.5 times the userbase of the PS3, and has development costs that are 1/4 to 1/2 that of PS3 games, I think it is going to see a large number of announcements in 2008.

Finally, you can't assume that developers will choose to release a game to the PC, XBox 360 and PS3; the PS3 has a very different architecture, different APIs (XBox 360 and Windows XP/Vista have most games developed in DirectX), and has a much smaller userbase and is selling far slower in the regions where PC games sell well. On top of that the PC gaming market is both growing and shrinking, small budget "casual" games with graphics similar to Wii games have been steadily growing for about a decade whilst big budget "Hard-core" games with high end graphics have been steadily shrinking for about a decade; the general consensus is that people don't see the value in spending $500 for a graphics card to play the same games anymore.

Edit: The MMO market on PCs is also growing but I doubt that will help the XBox 360 or PS3 being that the console is not well suited to a MMO game and would likely have a far inferior version.

HappySquirrel said:
You (probably) shouldn't do a direct comparison of the systems with aligned launches on a worldwide basis to make any conclusions. The PS3 has 3 regions it can sell in (remember most third parties are regional) as compared to two for the XBox 360, the XBox 360 lived in 'the shadow' of the PS3 (and was bashed for being too expensive by Sony fans) until E3 2006, the XBox 360 was supply limited through a large portion of 2006 whereas the PS3 has been readily available since soon after launch, the PS3 has had a 1 Million unit boost from their launch in Europe, and the PS3 is much later to market meaning it has to catch up.

It's true that the PS3 and 360 have had very different early lives, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the PS3 has had a big sales advantage due to a much smaller period of shortage. All I have to go on are imprecise memories but I recall that the 360 was out of "shortage" status by March at the latest, which I would not characterize as "a large portion" of the year. PS3 was in shortage status until January IIRC. Also, Europe didn't get the PS3 AT ALL until the following March, which is one hell of a shortage compared to the 360 launching only ten days later there compared to the US. (18 days later in Japan, but who cares?)

Finally, you can't assume that developers will choose to release a game to the PC, XBox 360 and PS3; the PS3 has a very different architecture, different APIs (XBox 360 and Windows XP/Vista have most games developed in DirectX), and has a much smaller userbase and is selling far slower in the regions where PC games sell well.

I honestly have no idea if this is true, but I do want to know. Evidence plz?

On top of that the PC gaming market is both growing and shrinking, small budget "casual" games with graphics similar to Wii games have been steadily growing for about a decade whilst big budget "Hard-core" games with high end graphics have been steadily shrinking for about a decade; the general consensus is that people don't see the value in spending $500 for a graphics card to play the same games anymore.

Really? I thought that the graphics were much more simplistic than that in the exploding casual genre for PC. As for the graphics card argument, I think it's true that graphics are hitting diminishing returns on PC much harder than on consoles, but the "$500" remark is not as true; unless you INSIST on being able to play the absolutely newest, most graphically demanding game in existence (currently Crysis AFAIK) and at the highest possible settings, a $150 card can do wonders nowadays. And that is partially because having psychotically demanding games seems to be a kind of badge of honor among certain developers.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:

Finally, you can't assume that developers will choose to release a game to the PC, XBox 360 and PS3; the PS3 has a very different architecture, different APIs (XBox 360 and Windows XP/Vista have most games developed in DirectX), and has a much smaller userbase and is selling far slower in the regions where PC games sell well.

I honestly have no idea if this is true, but I do want to know. Evidence plz?

I will restate it for you ... PC games do not sell in Japan