By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Surge protector voids PS3 warranty?!

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/sony-denies-sur.html

No, it is not real.

Around the Network

of course sony will deny it. It is stupid for them to not honor the warranty for a surge protector. I give a 70/30 chance of happening. See, nintendo didn't even ask me any of these types of questions when I had my Wii issue a little while back. All they had me do was ensure that it was coming from the Wii and not the tv/cables.

Saiyar said:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/sony-denies-sur.html

No, it is not real.

but JMan said that 3 other people checked it out and it isn't real. Why would those people lie to make Sony look better? Something's just not right here...

read my post!!!!! it depends on how Sony wants to interpret things. Some employee probably thought that the more warranties they deny (and the the more money for Sony) the better he is doing on the job. A loose interpretation of Power Supply Device allows for a surge protector to be included, although i wouldn't include such a thing myself.

I have heard of other companies denying warranties because of surge protectors, so this isn't all that far fetched.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Well then I can say the Intercooler for the 360 is fine then?

Cause it was only one Microsoft rep that said "Don't use the Intercooler!" so how should I believe it and there are a few of people I know that have had the Intercooler on the 360 since launch and had no problems.

Around the Network

Another thing the Xbox 360 Power Brick or PSU puts out 203 watts, the Xbox 360 uses 180 watts of the power, the Intercooler takes 4 watts to run. Thats enough to provide both devices power. So where is everyone getting that the Intercooler robs power from the 360? The white Intercoolers does, because they had massive shortages and couldn't connect to the PSU plug right. So now that Nyko released the EX version its lockable and the plug cannot move at all.

I'm adding on to what I was discussing earlier about the intercooler:

Elite 360 Hitachi
Idle (dashboard) 135Watt
Audio CD 135Watt
DVD Movie 98Watt
In Game Typical 158Watt
In Game Peak 165Watt
Source: http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/inside_the_xbox_360_elite_part_3.htm

Okay I just checked on the back of the Nyko Intercooler EX and it says the input needs 12V===0.4A

Ok here is a chart to convert amps into watts:
amps = unit for current
watts = unit for power
volts = unit of voltage

power= voltage * current

The early intercooler's were a problem because the part that connected to the power cord was plastic, while the newer ones are metal. The plastic would melt and cause shorts if not fully connected.

Also surge protectors shouldn't be used with the 360 either. Well that's according to a few reps from MS. They claim the power brick contains a surge protector.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

footbag said:
Sony has always had terrible customer service. For years they have survived on the perception that they make better quality products then their competitors. Problem is their competitors now have better quality, customer service and perceived value.

I hope you aren't refering to their competitors in the gaming world...because that's just laughable.

Goddbless said:
The early intercooler's were a problem because the part that connected to the power cord was plastic, while the newer ones are metal. The plastic would melt and cause shorts if not fully connected.

Also surge protectors shouldn't be used with the 360 either. Well that's according to a few reps from MS. They claim the power brick contains a surge protector.

Exactly so the new Nyko Intercooler EX's are the best since they have that metal piece on them now. I will tell you this, the new Intercooler cools the 360 off good. My discs are warm but cool.