By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Surge protector voids PS3 warranty?!

footbag said:
Sony has always had terrible customer service. For years they have survived on the perception that they make better quality products then their competitors. Problem is their competitors now have better quality, customer service and perceived value.

ur joking right? better quality as in the highest failure rate of all time? better customer support as in arguing with an indian dude for an hour and getting multiple bricked 360s? percieved value as in having to buy all kinds of add ons for rediculous money(HDD, hd dvd, wifi)to get what the competitor has for slightly more?

ps3 is expensive and out of many people's price range, that doesnt = less percieved value.

Around the Network

When I sent in my DSLite to get fixed they asked me how long I'd had it. I said "a little over a year". The guy said "Well why won't we just say a little less than a year?" (the warranty lasts for a year). That was nice.

@DKII

Was that Nintendo or some other company that would fix it or was you talking to them over the phone?

Apostrovich said:
Huh.....that is officially the first report of a PS3 failing I have ever heard, actually. I read on Wikipedia that the failure rate was less than 1 percent, maybe this is the one percent. I've had mine plugged into a power strip that my Wii, tv, vcr, dvr, and PS2 are all also plugged into. Been that way for a year, no problems at all.
My first one actually failed.  I took good care of it, but one day it just...would not turn on.  The replacement works fine, but I haven't really used it at all (got the replacement a while ago)

^Are you talking about the PS3 or Power Surge?

Around the Network

So what I got from all of this was that most likely this is not Sony policy but rather some douchebag who works at this Sony Call Center and happened to have a stick shoved sideways up his arse.

To Each Man, Responsibility
W29 said:
Goddbless said:
The early intercooler's were a problem because the part that connected to the power cord was plastic, while the newer ones are metal. The plastic would melt and cause shorts if not fully connected.

Also surge protectors shouldn't be used with the 360 either. Well that's according to a few reps from MS. They claim the power brick contains a surge protector.

Exactly so the new Nyko Intercooler EX's are the best since they have that metal piece on them now. I will tell you this, the new Intercooler cools the 360 off good. My discs are warm but cool.

Yeah, it was just the early version of the Nyko that voided the warranty.  I still think there are better ones on the market.  I use this one.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/797/797819p1.html

Unfortunately, two days after I got it...my XBOX RRODed.  However, I've had it back for several months now and it runs really cool.  In fact, it runs MUCH quieter because the XBOX fan never has to get going full speed.  I'm positive that my RROD was completely unrelated to heat issues and the intercoller.  Bad luck, I suppose.

"Human equality is a contingent fact of history. Equality is not true by definition; it is neither an ethical principle (though equal treatment may be) nor a statement about norms of social action. It just worked out that way. A hundred different and plausible scenarios for human history would have yielded other results (and moral dilemmas of enormous magnitude). They didn't happen." - Stephen Jay Gould

Systems I currently own (in order of preference): PS2, SNES, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Genesis, Nintendo DS, PSX, XBOX, Wii, PS3,  Atari 5200, Turbo-Grafx 16, NES, Gameboy, Game Gear, 32X.

Sqrl said:
So what I got from all of this was that most likely this is not Sony policy but rather some douchebag who works at this Sony Call Center and happened to have a stick shoved sideways up his arse.

Hard to say. I believe sony is known for having people try this kind of crap though... or rather their costumer service is. Whether it's company, you get commishon on voided warrantys or they just hire a lot of idiots who can say. 

FTR: I remember calling Sony about getting my PS2 repaired after it died with the disk read error. I remember seeing a post on a forum about Sony doing it for free. The Sony rep, an American woman, told me it would cost $125 to repair the unit, but they would waive the fee.

I can really see them denying a free repair because of a surge protector - but now reversing course just trying to publicly save face.

bullshit!!! i've got a $2500 hdtv plugged into a surge protector and they had no issue helping me... sometimes you guys are so full of shit the pot's running over... this is stoopid.