By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has saved its home console market, but can it save its franchises?

Bowser was portrayed like a complete idiot in Paper Mario, too... In my opinion the only thing wrong with Paper Mario TTYD was the huge amount of backtracking.

As for the topic in general, some of Nintendo's franchises missed the mark last generation, but they were still some of the best games around.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Onimusha12 said:

Starfox: I agree with you wholeheatedly

Donkey Kong: I agree

F-Zero: F-Zero GX for Gamecube is considered the pinnacle of the series. F-Zero fans and hardcore gamers a like consider this one of the Gamecube's best titles. You are first person I've heard call it disappointing. Now the recent portable versions of the series based on the anime' are another story.

Geist: Was definitely a hit or miss title, it is either loved or loathed. That said unless their is a Geist 2 in the works, I wouldn't call it a franchise.

Mario Kart: Double Dash was considered a disappointment by most. The main problem with the Mario Kart series is the CPU assistance. In the last few titles its been better to hang around in second place until the last possible moment because of the "rubber band" AI.

Paper Mario: I have never relly gotten into the franchise so I can't speak to who its been handled.

Legend of Zelda: Zelda needs a serious overhaul. Like the Mario titles the basic premise of Zelda games have been pretty much the same. The difference is that Mario titles usually have significantly different gameplay elements added to each sequel to shake things up. Zelda's gameplay has been the same since The Ocarina of Time. That wouldn't be so bad if the story would compensate but the story has been generally the same as well. Either Nintendo has to step up the story and character development to Fire Emblem levels or dramatically change how the gameplays.

Metroid: The Metroid Prime titles are the best selling Metroid titles. The reason it took so long for a Metroid sequel is that despite its critical acclaim, Super Metroid didn't sell all to well. In fact the reason it took so long for Super Metroid to be created was because Metroid II didn't sell exceptionally well nor did the original. I don't know whats in store for the franchise but I'm betting on either a 2D title from Intelligent Systems or a Third Person title for Wii.

I agree with almost everything you say here. Metroid Prime IS the best selling Metroid game, though the older ones sold better in Japan. I also think that if they release another Zelda game on the OoT formula, it will be quite stale. Bring on either something completely new, or a twist the size of Majora's Mask (woo!). I actually found Twilight Princess to be more innovative in terms of actual gameplay than WW. The puzzles in WW were laughable and almost all the items were from OoT.  The whole Ocean bit and style were neat, but didn't really affect the core gameplay.

Aren't some of the "gimmicky" DK titles supposed to be pretty good, though? Maybe Barrel Blast sucked, but it was from a second, maybe third string development team.

couchmonkey said:
Bowser was portrayed like a complete idiot in Paper Mario, too... In my opinion the only thing wrong with Paper Mario TTYD was the huge amount of backtracking.

As for the topic in general, some of Nintendo's franchises missed the mark last generation, but they were still some of the best games around.

Bowser has been an idiot in all the Mario RPGs.

I really do think this thread is taking overly critical fans that come with any popular franchise too seriously. The last Zelda, Metroid and Paper Mario were amazing. You can argue Mario Sunshine wasn't as well received as Mario 64 but it was well recieved, no Nintendo franchise has hit the kind of lackluster bumps that franchises like Sonic have.

Not to mention other franchises that weren't commented on like:
Pokemon: selling better then ever
Mario party: not the greatest game or franchises but again selling better then ever.
Super Smash Bros.: always amazing and soon I believe the new one will rock new records for the series.
plus as you mentioned Mario Galaxy is already getting plenty of hype, and New Super Mario Bros. was another huge and loved Mario game.

So I think the whole Nintendo franchises needing to be saved, is quite a bit extreme. the company that needs franchise saving is Sega.

Non Sequor said:

I think you're searching for things to complain about in TYD.

Sorry but Bowser is most entertaining as a comically inept villain and Princess Peach's dialogue is always faulty. You're complaining that the characters were too like the ones in the N64 game even though they did a lot more to differentiate the characters in TYD. In the N64 version you had characters that could hit spiked enemies and characters that could hit flying enemies and other than that their attacks were mostly interchangeable. In TYD, they actually have different damage types which are useful against different types of enemies.

TYD is one of the best looking games I've ever played. The character and environment designs were just so vivid. The paper effects for scene transitions and such were absolutely brilliant. And on top of that, the combat system was absolutely brilliant.

Bowser is the ruler of his own kingdom.  In the original Super Mario Bros. games, he had entire worlds under his control.   In the various games, he typically runs the gamut of a complete idiot and a pretty smart villain that actually has plans.  In the original Paper Mario, his biggest failings were arrogance and being surrounded by incompetent minions.  In Super Mario RPG, it was the same way.  He even saw value in working with his arch-nemesis Mario to save the world.  In TYD, he's just an idiot.  Bad dichotomy there.

As for attacks and what not, I wasn't talking about that at all.  Anywhere.  In reference to characters, I was talking about originality.  Ms. Mowz was original.  Goombella was not.  Vivian was original.  Koops was not.

The story also was weak by comparison.  In the original you had to rescue the stars to gain the power to face Bowser.  In TYD you had to collect star pieces to open a door for a purpose you didn't even know until the very end.  You spend most of the game doing stuff for reasons very hard to justify.

TYD was a great game, but it fell short in certain areas when compared to the first one.

Around the Network

Why is it always about Nintendo? Square has had trouble establishing a second franchise to compliment Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest is not big in the West. Capcom really needs to make new games. They've been living off Megaman and Resident Evil for so long now. Maybe Capcom and Square-Enix can team up and develop a parasite eve RPG, like the first game. Something with a different hook than resident evil.

This list could continue and would include Namco, konami, EA, Ubisoft, Activision and a lot of other developers.

What I am saying is that it is hard to keep a franchise fresh and exciting. Sometimes developers and publishers try new things that may not be a hit with fans. Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is an example of this. But should they stop and keep making the same game? No. They also need to take risk and establish new franchises as well. Or Maybe they could take a page out of EA's book and buy developers.

"We are EA. You are Unique. We will add your uniqueness to our own. Prepare to be assimilated. "

Species 8675: BioWare/Pandemic ---Assimilated
Species 8945: Ubisoft---------------not worth Assimilating

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

So far i've found the Wii versions of Ninty's franchise's to be better than the GCN version, TP was better on the Wii and was superior to WW in gameplay, Metroid Prime three was the perfect blend of FPS and FPA and more enjoyable than MP 1 and 2, Galaxy is expected to be far better than sunshine, Super Paper mario was different than paper mario, but very fun, its harder to compare them because of the change in gameplay is greater, strikers had online which made it better than the original, Mario Kart and smash on the Wii will have online as well, probably making them better, likely animal crossing Wii will also.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

patjuan32 said:
Why is it always about Nintendo? Square has had trouble establishing a second franchise to compliment Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest is not big in the West. Capcom really needs to make new games. They've been living off Megaman and Resident Evil for so long now. Maybe Capcom and Square-Enix can team up and develop a parasite eve RPG, like the first game. Something with a different hook than resident evil.

This list could continue and would include Namco, konami, EA, Ubisoft, Activision and a lot of other developers.

What I am saying is that it is hard to keep a franchise fresh and exciting. Sometimes developers and publishers try new things that may not be a hit with fans. Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is an example of this. But should they stop and keep making the same game? No. They also need to take risk and establish new franchises as well. Or Maybe they could take a page out of EA's book and buy developers.

"We are EA. You are Unique. We will add your uniqueness to our own. Prepare to be assimilated. "

Species 8675: BioWare/Pandemic ---Assimilated
Species 8945: Ubisoft---------------not worth Assimilating

I do think there need to be more threads about how Square has taken most of their franchises for a ride in the shit factory.

I have to agree ... IMO the best Nintendo games where made in the period of the SNES/N64 ... before that , the now franchises where new games , and had thei own share of flaws , and later came the GC era ... and no comment on that one ( though I liked the GC as a design choice :P ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

RolStoppable said:

Donkey Kong: The Konga games and Jungle Beat were developed by Namco and were good games for what they were. Barrel Blast was developed by Paon Corporations, a young development studio which also made King of Swing for GBA and Jungle Climber for DS. In the case of the Donkey Kong franchise you can blame Nintendo for not giving it into the right hands or making the games themselves.

DK Jungle Beat made by Namco? That's made by Nintendo itself as far as I know.