By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendomination at an end?

Except you never defined what "Nintendomination" meant until the second page. So no one knows what you were talking about.

And please stop talking down to everyone else.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

fkusumot wins the thread with the best post I've seen in ages here ;)

Not to steal away his thunder, as it was still an excellent post, but I should point out that the BINGO board is from here.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Chadius said:
Except you never defined what "Nintendomination" meant until the second page. So no one knows what you were talking about.

Actually I made clear the definition in less then thirty minutes, and yes that would be on the first page not the second page. Not to talk down to you or anything, but yeah your wrong. How is under thirty minutes not timely. I thought the first post was pretty concise about the subject, and you might notice I have been one of the few posters to entertain critical discussion in this thread rather that hate on others or other hardware. I might have just given some posters enough room to hang themselves with, but they most certainly tied the cord with their own expectations.

Dodece said:
Chadius said:

Actually I made clear the definition in less then thirty minutes, and yes that would be on the first page not the second page. Not to talk down to you or anything, but yeah your wrong. How is under thirty minutes not timely. I thought the first post was pretty concise about the subject, and you might notice I have been one of the few posters to entertain critical discussion in this thread rather that hate on others or other hardware. I might have just given some posters enough room to hang themselves with, but they most certainly tied the cord with their own expectations.

And you may have just tied the cord yourself with your assumption.  The fact is that we don't know whats going to happen, everything here is people's predictions and the like so I think it is a bit premature to definitively say anyone is or should hang on their words.

@Sqrl

When I say people hung themselves I refer to the people who exploded in this thread. In other words it was a question about sales, and people took it to mean which console is going to win. That was not the question I asked, but since certain posters carry a large chip on their shoulder. Well thats what they contorted the question to mean.

Lets say I told you that Vanilla ice cream outsells chocolate ice cream by six cones to one, and has done so for six months. Then I tell you that over the past few weeks that changed. I tell you that people right now are buying one vanilla for one chocolate. In other words every other customer is now buying chocolate rather then every seventh. Then I ask you what you think explains that, and do you think it will go back to the way it was.

Instead of considering the question many posters just went off on a tangent about which console was going to win. When the question was never about who is going to win, but what the margins are. Would we see the kind of margins we saw for the last eight months again. Why did they do this I am not sure, but I think they decided what the question was before they even considered it. They thought oh this is that question, and didn't even bother to consider the question. That was quite obvious with the speed with which posts streamed onto the page.

They hung themselves by turning the thread into a vicious war when there was nothing to fight about. A few posters did make valid posts, but sadly the thread got bogged down in personal attacks, and base propaganda. I have no idea how half of the stuff that ended up in this thread is even remotely relevant to the topic. Which is once again margins of sales.

I am not sure how most people apparently use the word dominate. I usually think of it in the terms of competition and sports. You do not say a team dominated their opponent if they beat them by a small or common margin. You usually reserve the term for teams that lay down a magnificent beating on their opponents. For instance if a football team beats another team by say over forty points. You will here the commentator say something like they dominated the field of play, or they just dominated the other guy.

Whatever the result the reality is that people said a lot of mean spirited things, and picked fights. Many of them said things that might come back to haunt them. Seeing as so many of them were willing to take ban bets, or worse said things were facts. Facts are different from opinions, predictions, or analysis. When you say something is a fact you are held to it. Basically people can call you on it later down the line. All they need to say is that you said it was a fact. Then who is the fool or gets lynched.

Am I reaching anyone out there.

Around the Network

I predict that nongames are the games of the future. They are the games for the nongamers (and some gamers). Halo 3 can sell 5 million in just a couple weeks, but it will never outsell Brain Age or Nintendogs. I predict Wii Fit will spike hardware sales way more than Halo 3 did, and have much longer legs. Everybody who wants Halo 3 already got it. You're not gonna find some kid in April of 2008 going "Oh shit a Halo 3 came out? I better go buy a 360." But for years, word of mouth and amazing marketing and Oprah and Dr. Phil and local news will be advertising Wii Fit, and people will be going "Oh shit a game that makes me exercise but isn't that newfangled dancing DDR revolution thing all the kids love? I better go buy a Wii. Oh wow, it comes with a sports exercise game too? NEATO!" It's gonna be Wii Sports all over again. Nintendo will Nintendominate this Christmas with the DS, Wii Sports, and Mario Galaxy. I also predict that Mario & Sonic will do much better than anybody can imagine. All the hardcores are going "meh, minigames," but anybody who was in the thick of the SNES/Genesis console wars (THE REAL DEAL, people got killed), they absolutely need to own this game. Then Nintendo will Nintendominate 2008 with Wii Fit, Mario Kart, and Brawl. (Kart and Melee were the 2 best selling games on the Cube, and Wii're dying for their sequels.)

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

@Dodece,

I think a lot of people followed the logical progression with their argument. Talking about recent trends logically leads to how that fits into the long term trends etc... I don't see how that is really that big of a deal as it all still relates to the topic, just maybe not as directly as you would hope for. But in my experience if a thread hits page 5 and people are even remotely on topic..well I call that a success =P

As far as the folks who went overboard...well thats pretty much any thread that discusses the sales of one console next to those of another.

Dodece said:
@Sqrl

When I say people hung themselves I refer to the people who exploded in this thread. In other words it was a question about sales, and people took it to mean which console is going to win. That was not the question I asked, but since certain posters carry a large chip on their shoulder. Well thats what they contorted the question to mean.

Lets say I told you that Vanilla ice cream outsells chocolate ice cream by six cones to one, and has done so for six months. Then I tell you that over the past few weeks that changed. I tell you that people right now are buying one vanilla for one chocolate. In other words every other customer is now buying chocolate rather then every seventh. Then I ask you what you think explains that, and do you think it will go back to the way it was.

Instead of considering the question many posters just went off on a tangent about which console was going to win. When the question was never about who is going to win, but what the margins are. Would we see the kind of margins we saw for the last eight months again. Why did they do this I am not sure, but I think they decided what the question was before they even considered it. They thought oh this is that question, and didn't even bother to consider the question. That was quite obvious with the speed with which posts streamed onto the page.

They hung themselves by turning the thread into a vicious war when there was nothing to fight about. A few posters did make valid posts, but sadly the thread got bogged down in personal attacks, and base propaganda. I have no idea how half of the stuff that ended up in this thread is even remotely relevant to the topic. Which is once again margins of sales.

I am not sure how most people apparently use the word dominate. I usually think of it in the terms of competition and sports. You do not say a team dominated their opponent if they beat them by a small or common margin. You usually reserve the term for teams that lay down a magnificent beating on their opponents. For instance if a football team beats another team by say over forty points. You will here the commentator say something like they dominated the field of play, or they just dominated the other guy.

Whatever the result the reality is that people said a lot of mean spirited things, and picked fights. Many of them said things that might come back to haunt them. Seeing as so many of them were willing to take ban bets, or worse said things were facts. Facts are different from opinions, predictions, or analysis. When you say something is a fact you are held to it. Basically people can call you on it later down the line. All they need to say is that you said it was a fact. Then who is the fool or gets lynched.

Am I reaching anyone out there.

You make some good points here, and I'm sure that that was the discussion you intended to spark, but I think much of the blame for the unusually strong gravitation of flamers to your thread can be laid firmly at the feet of the OP -- specifically, your use of the term "Nintendomination". 

That term Nintendomination does not sound as if it is part of a serious discussion but rather sounds like something that would be used in a fanboy shouting match.  Therefore, I'm not at all surprised that fanboys came to this thread and started shouting matches.  Go ahead and test my theory:  next time, try "Nintendo's domination of the market" or somesuch. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

This thread is better than Day's of Our Lives. I will follow John Lucas's lead and reply so I can have it in my history.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Just a question... How many Wii owner really care about Wii Fit? I know I don't. But I think that is interesting, Wii Fit is going to move a lot of consoles because its going to be bought by no gamers.