By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will DS lose its momentum?!

I was thinking, DS is selling top America/Europe and Japan for over a year now... Im cool with it really but isn't it about time for Sony and Microsoft to do something about it?! Latest update on the mainpage shows an increase of DS sales by 2 million and increase of PSP sales by 0.5 million. My guess is that DS is going to slow down in Aug/sep 07 in Europe and America. Then to pick up speed during the holidays to regain momentum till March 08. PSP is WAY too far away to counter DS's sales but Wii and X360 and (possi) PS3 (lol, teasing the fanboys) are going to take over the top of the charts... I'm not saying that DS is going to sell bad, cause that thing is HOT! Boy does it sell abnormally good. U know, if a system would sell 40k a week in Japan, thats GOOD! But since DS arrived below 100k seems really crappy, thats because DS sometimes tops 500k, after a blistering 2.5 years after launch. DS & Japan are love for another 2 years or so, and with DQ9 sceduled for late 07 that little system is going to fry PSP... Not even the remake of FF: VII can stop it, and 900k sales for Monster hunter portable II weren't even enough to decrown the DS's top place in weekly charts. What will be DS's total salepoint?! I'd say around 100 million, depending on how it will keep momentum in America and/or Europe. With PSP slackin behind with 40-55k (Depending on how Sony will keep pushing the system and 3th parties to keep supporting the system)... StarcraftManiac.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

The DS has the advantage of being inexpensive and being able to sell multiple systems to single households so (in theory) it could become the new best selling console of all time ...

DFC thinks DS can beat PS2 in worldwide sales (ie around 120 million). For that to happen, look at like this: Worldwide end of year LTD: 2007 - 56 million?? 2008 - 75 million 2009 - 90 million 2010 - 102 million 2011 - 112 million 2012 - 120 million

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

HappySqurriel said: The DS has the advantage of being inexpensive and being able to sell multiple systems to single households so (in theory) it could become the new best selling console of all time ...
That theory seems to be true in my house! We now have 3 DS's (1 DS Phat and 2 DS Lites) and the amazing is that the one belongs to me (18 years old) the second to my niece (9 years old) and the 3rd one belongs to my dad (50 years old!!) I can see that 120m mark being true!

Here's a question though. Why is the DS starting to pick up sales like they did in Japan over a year ago? Don't forget the *FIRST* DS Poke`Bomb hits North America next month. You might as well call that the DS's verison of "Halo 3". :)

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Here's a question though. Why is the DS starting to pick up sales like they did in Japan over a year ago? Don't forget the *FIRST* DS Poke`Bomb hits North America next month. You might as well call that the DS's verison of "Halo 3". :)
I have the Japanese version on Pokemon Diamond and i can't stop playing it! I think it will be the best Pokemon game in terms of sales (after Pokemon R/B/Y)

vanguardian1 said: Here's a question though. Why is the DS starting to pick up sales like they did in Japan over a year ago? Don't forget the *FIRST* DS Poke`Bomb hits North America next month. You might as well call that the DS's verison of "Halo 3". :)
Word of mouth and a dying GameBoy? Nintendodogs is leading the attack in EU, I don't know about USA. Nintendo is making 2.5 million DS a month so around 60 million after 2007 sounds like a deal. EDIT: Ohh forgot the main question, no slowdown in Japan for at least 10 million more :) so somewhere in early 2008? USA Pokemon is hitting so somewhere around early 2008 also.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I don't think it will until long after DS2 is released

robjoh said: vanguardian1 said: Here's a question though. Why is the DS starting to pick up sales like they did in Japan over a year ago? Don't forget the *FIRST* DS Poke`Bomb hits North America next month. You might as well call that the DS's verison of "Halo 3". :) Word of mouth and a dying GameBoy? Nintendodogs is leading the attack in EU, I don't know about USA. Nintendo is making 2.5 million DS a month so around 60 million after 2007 sounds like a deal. EDIT: Ohh forgot the main question, no slowdown in Japan for at least 10 million more :) so somewhere in early 2008? USA Pokemon is hitting so somewhere around early 2008 also.
The Pokemon DS games are due out April 25th here in North America. :) The gameboy advance isn't dead yet here in NA yet, it outsold PS3 last month. ^o^

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said: robjoh said: vanguardian1 said: Here's a question though. Why is the DS starting to pick up sales like they did in Japan over a year ago? Don't forget the *FIRST* DS Poke`Bomb hits North America next month. You might as well call that the DS's verison of "Halo 3". :) Word of mouth and a dying GameBoy? Nintendodogs is leading the attack in EU, I don't know about USA. Nintendo is making 2.5 million DS a month so around 60 million after 2007 sounds like a deal. EDIT: Ohh forgot the main question, no slowdown in Japan for at least 10 million more :) so somewhere in early 2008? USA Pokemon is hitting so somewhere around early 2008 also. The Pokemon DS games are due out April 25th here in North America. :) The gameboy advance isn't dead yet here in NA yet, it outsold PS3 last month. ^o^
From what i've seen on *every* site the release date is set to April 22nd. PLEASE don't tell me it got pushed back! Not even 3 days! I'm MAD about this game!!