By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will DS lose its momentum?!

DS will lose its momentum when the DS Advance comes out :) DS family (should nintendo keep it) will easily beat the Gameboy out (200m+ sales) if they keep it for the next 10 years with the various revisions.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

gamingdevil said: From what i've seen on *every* site the release date is set to April 22nd. PLEASE don't tell me it got pushed back! Not even 3 days! I'm MAD about this game!!
It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong before. ^_^ My memory is rather flaky, I admit. Sometimes I remember things exceptionally, well, sometimes I'm slightly off, and sometimes it's non-existant. ^,^;;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

In two years. In Japan. The DS is just starting in Europe and NA, Pokebomb should put it in full swing. PSP am cry.

It won't slow down any time soon. I don't see it happening this year. With the pokemon games and the next DQ for Japan, then you include the linkage with the ever popular wii... It will become the best selling game system ever, and much quicker than the ps2. The next 5 years will be owned by DSWii.

No time soon. I think the real potential of the DS is only starting to come to the front - big companies are just starting to support it properly, and the Wii will help keep the sales strong (DS demos downloaded on the Wii = sweet!). Going to see more and more innovative games, big franchises (etc) all hit in the next 2-3 years. the only reason the GBA is dying off, is that the DS has replaced it - and the same will happen again. When the market becomes saturated, Nintendo will release the DSII / DSAdvance - and it will be madness all over again. Unless they try the "3rd-tier" approach again (i.e. a direct PSP competitor).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

the average gamer won't check the news or whatever for this type of thing, they will only look at what is available...and I say that it will start to lose momentum around the time that new games fail to come out or come out much less often. So, perhaps a year mabey 7-9 months from now, we should start to see lower DS sales. This raises the question....will Nintendo still support GBA with software, and everything else or is it going to give the portable game industry over to Sony alltogether?

dallas said: the average gamer won't check the news or whatever for this type of thing, they will only look at what is available...and I say that it will start to lose momentum around the time that new games fail to come out or come out much less often. So, perhaps a year mabey 7-9 months from now, we should start to see lower DS sales. This raises the question....will Nintendo still support GBA with software, and everything else or is it going to give the portable game industry over to Sony alltogether?
With all due respect, that doesn't even make sense. The DS is akin to the ps2. Once it took off and got a huge lead over the competition it got all of the exclusives and kept getting great games which are a direct correlation to hardware sales. GBA has started to sink because of the DS and slowly the games are dwindling. The DS is increasing its lead and market share by leaps and bounds every month. More and more publishers are shifting a lot of their resources to the DS. There is absolutely no way the PSP has a chance to take the portable market.

The DS will begin to slow down when Sony decides to lower the PSPs price tag. If Sony where to lower the us price to 149.99 the PSP would start to break even with the the DS. I think the end of this year we will see the market shift back to a more normal look with home launching on PS3 along with huge First party exclusives and MGS we will see the PS3 start to make its way back into its position. AAnd if the PSP light comes out the psp will begin to outpace ds world wide due to na and europe, but it will never catch the ds in japan. Edit: 149. 99 US only applys to the curent PSP model, If a updated PSP were released I would imagine 179 would be more realistic.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

The price of the PSP would help it sell some more, but not detract from the DS. The GC was always cheaper than the ps2, yet, the ps2 had all of the games. That is why the ps2 sold. The same goes for the DS. Plus, Nintendo is not stupid. If the PSP was to drop the price from $229 to $149, which I think is too much of a drop for Sony, the DS would probably go from $129 to $99 and still be flying off of shelves.

I've discovered the reason why DS sells so well in Japan. Look at this entry in the Japan Charts: 37 1000 Healthy DS Recipes Nintendo 15 7,000 351,500 Apparently, the Japanese are eating the DS now!? So, since there are 1000 recipes, Japan can sell 351M DS's to satisfy the appetite of the Japanese.