By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sales Battle of the Day (9/19) - Guitar Hero 5 vs. The Beatles Rock Band

Thread Description: In this series of posts I will usually be picking two games that are related in some way and that I think will see similar sales. In the original post I will include a poll for people to vote in and also request people leave a comment with what game they voted for and why.  I'm calling these "Sales Battle of the Day" threads, but even if it is not the same day feel free to continue to comment in the thread. With the thread description out the way here is today's  Sales Battle of the Day…

Sales Battle of the Day

9/19

Guitar Hero 5       vs.     The Beatles Rock Band

Description: The two big music game releases of the year have just been released, so let’s look at which will sell more. This comparison will be a little different than previous editions of Sales Battle of the Day, because both games are new releases.   For that reason, I can’t make a chart saying how long it would take for one to outsell the other.  So here are the numbers for the games so far, as well as how previous entries in the franchise have done.

Title Sales
The Beetles:Rock Band
First Week Sales 706913

Guitar Hero 5
First Week Sales 581476
America's Second Week Sales 193296
Total 774772

Title First Week (millions) Total (millions) First Week % of Total
Guitar Hero World Tour 0.78 8.06 9.74
Guitar Hero 3 1.52 15.10 10.05
Rock Band 2 0.56 3.34 16.87
Rock Band  0.40 5.31 7.46

and just for fun, based on the franchises' Avg First Week percent of total sales, and the first weeks sales of the new releases, here are some forecasts.

Title Avg First Week % of Total Forecast for the new games based on Avg First Week % of Total (millions)
Guitar Hero
9.89 5.88
Rock Band 12.16 5.81

What Guitar Hero 5 has going…

For it - A stronger brand name worldwide.  Opened a week earlier so currently has the sales lead. Has a version on the PS2. Franchise typically has longer legs.

Against it - A smaller opening week than Beatles Rock Band.  Potential oversaturation of “…Hero” games, with already released games and upcoming releases of DJ Hero and Band Hero. A pretty big second week drop off.

What The Beatles Rock Band has going…

For it – THE BEATLES! A larger opening week than Guitar Hero 5. Released all versions simultaneously unlike previous versions, which has resulted in a big increase of sales of the Wii version.

Against it - A weaker brand name, especially in Europe/Others. Previous versions have always been outsold by Guitar Hero franchise.

Update:The follow up article has been posted, so the poll has been removed. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread!

Previous Sales Battle Threads

Call of Duty 4 vs. Grand Theft Auto 4 (9/16)

Wii Fit vs. Wii Play (9/13)

Around the Network

I didn't include them in the original post, but here are the numbers for the band centric versions of Guitar Hero.

Title First Week Total Total % of First Week
GH Metallica 0.5072 1.38 36.75
GH Aerosmith 0.5986 3.13 19.12
Title First Week Total Total % of First Week
GH Metallica 0.5072 1.38 36.75
GH Aerosmith 0.5986 3.13 19.12

So does that mean that The Beatles: Rock Band will be more frontloaded?

Really I'm just trying to come up with possible explanations to make it close, because if the first few votes are an idication, it will be a one sided poll.

So what are peoples opinions, which game will sell more and why?

Hmm...I haven't gotten many votes, or any comments, but I'm sure that there are at least a few people interested in this, with all the talk in the weekly sales figures. So what do people think? Obviously Rock Band had the better opening week, but does the fact that Rock Band and Band centric Guitar Hero games are more front loaded than main entry Guitar Hero franchises mean that Guitar Hero 5 can catch up?

I really think (hope) Beatles: Rock band will end up selling more. Guitar hero is really saturated by now, and DJ hero will probably take a big cut from GH 5 sales.

Although the biggest threat for the Beatles game is it's prize. In this economy people aren't willing to shed $250 for a game.

I'm just guessing they'll have very similar sells. Both in the 3 million area.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

I think it will be interesting to see how DJ hero and Band hero effect Guitar Hero 5 sales.

If both only sell 3 million though, the music/rhythm genre will definitely look to be on its way out. Anybody else have thoughts about the impact of DJ Hero, or have their own predictions for total sales?

Around the Network

Guitar Hero is now considered the lesser brand of the two in general I think. Rock Band will win this one.

definetely Rock Band FTW!

as people are really loving the game, remember one copy of rockband sold in most probably 1 less copy of GH sold

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@ Rath, I don't know about that, I think that Rock Band is better regarded by gamers, but the general audience is more familiar with the Guitar Hero franchise. I'm not sure that will be enough for Guitar Hero 5 to outsell Beatles Rock Band though.

@ darth, that is a good point, the two games are certainly direct competitors. I think that might explain the low Guitar Hero sales on Wii so far, this is the first time Rock Band released around the same time, so it is the first time they have been in direct competition on the system.

Rock Band has to win.
Activision is going too far with the GH franchise.

probably gh5 will win but i sure hope that RB beatles wins because guitar hero is so past its prime now and is so stagnant

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!