By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Folding@Home Network Three Times Faster Than World's Fastest Supercomputer

Roadrunner, officially the world's fastest supercomputer, is used in nuclear weapons research. It can sustain just over 1 petaflop of performance, but is still slower than the Folding@Home network of computers. This network includes PCs, Macs, Linux Systems, and more recently (and importantly) the PlayStation 3.

The Folding@Home network of computers, which is used for functions such as Folding@Home, boasts more than 4.3 petaflop of computing power - the equivalent of more than 4,300 trillion calculations per second. PlayStation 3 users managed to achieve 1 petaflop of protein folding just 7 months after the application was release, pushing the Folding@home program to be recognized by the Guinness World Records folks as the most powerful distributed computer network in the world.

Link

Damn thats fast

Around the Network

Isn't it called "Life with Playstation" now?

I blame this...

Blood_Tears said:
Isn't it called "Life with Playstation" now?

Kind of, Folding@home is part of Life with Playstation (which offers news and stuff like that around the world)

It will cure cancer!

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

"4,300 trillion calculations per second"

That's a lot of calculations.

amazing

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

T3h C3lL

Do you want japanese voices in FF13 and Versus 13? Write to these guys and tell them: support@square-enix-usa.com

I am so privileged two have a C3LL. And I don't even have two jobs!

What exactly has Stanford achieved so far with the Folding? It's a great idea, and I'm folding now and then with my PS 3, but I am wondering.