By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Is Preparing New Hardware! But It's Not For The Home!

I play games for the titles, 3D grahics won't bring me to an arcade hall unless it's virtual reality ofcourse (very doubtful for that price).

Around the Network
sega4life said:
Seinfeld said:
Seece said:
Seinfeld said:
Sounds awesome, but it won't resurrect the arcade industry at all.

No? I would be there like a shot!

Sure it would bring in a crowd, but how long would that last?

ya.. I remember that guy from the late 30's talking about that how that image tube would never catch on..

Sega, that's a completely irrelavent arguement.  'That guy from the late 30's' was talking about a technology that didn't exist, not improving on a currently non-mainstream technology.  I agree with Seinfeld that this won't resurrect the industry at all.  Arcades are going out the window..they're being replaced by PC Cafe's, which coincidentally normally have arcade units in them.  Go to any PC Cafe around here and no one is playing any of the arcade games.

I don't doubt that this would pique a couple people's interest, but only the 'hardcore' arcade fans would actually play or use it in the long run, and they're the people that have been all along and are starting to get tired with where arcades are currently at. I don't know a single person who would get excited over this and run to an arcade.  I'd go once just to see it, and probably never again.

This is horrible for Sega...I think they're going to lose their ass if it truly is 3d arcade technology.  Sega can't afford another misstep, and I have a feeling the R&D on this will be more than they can make up in the amount of time they hope to.

^^They've been constantly developing arcade technology, since the early 80s, why is this any different? How is new hardware 'horrible' for Sega?

I don't see there being any resurgence in the arcade industry, whether they can make 3d that can't be done at home or not.

The fact is that people have incredibly compelling content in their homes now, and I can't see 3d images making anybody get up off of the couch from their current gen games just to play something in 3d, and that will likely cost them over a dollar per play.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

I was right about this guy only posting threads about SEGA hardware.

It's clearly an arcade machine.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
I don't see there being any resurgence in the arcade industry, whether they can make 3d that can't be done at home or not.

The fact is that people have incredibly compelling content in their homes now, and I can't see 3d images making anybody get up off of the couch from their current gen games just to play something in 3d, and that will likely cost them over a dollar per play.

U speak the truth. Sega made a bad business analysis Im afraid. But maybe it dont cost them that much money, this arcade 3D machine.

Btw, any of u ppl wish 3-D tech for ur home consoles?

At $1.00 Plus per game play (for decent games), I don't see anything bringing back the arcade. When I was a kid you could play any game in the arcade for .25 you could take $10 bucks and play for a long time. Now that same $10 might get you 30 minutes if your lucky. So kids now days think why bother and just go buy a game for their console of choice.

I like the idea of Sega coming back. I just don't see this as a wise choice unless they can keep the price per game at a Quarter. My local Arcade is a baron waste land. It doesn't even have a custodian in it to make sure the games are running and to give back change. Sad really :( I had so much fun there growing up.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

More details!

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=54962&page=8

POSTED BY SONIC (FORMER SEGA OF AMERICA EMPLOYEE)
It's most definitely arcade I know that. Keep digging around Texan you might just find what it is. Though I will say I believe it is an evolution of arcade designs that will deliver more power.