By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles outsells Blue Dragon

TRios_Zen said:
themanwithnoname said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
kowenicki said:
lets face it... they all sold pretty badly.

For a JRPG BD did do crap sorta.

But for VC a game that had a really low budget + a low selling Genre of RPG... it did BETTER then any JRPG in general this gen, so please refrain from thorwin VC in with the bunch since its not quite the failure the rest semi were. (As far as Sales go.)

Lost Odyssey has something to say about that.

Furthermore, didn't sega create the "Canvas" engine for this game?  What's the rationale for calling it a low budget game?  Do we have proof of that?

As to the quality, VC is a damn good, and awfully fun game, I could not recommend it higher.  But damn, so was LO, I'd hate having missed one of these games.

Low budget probably comes from the advertising campaign, which was basically non-existent.  If you had to make a guess at which game was more costly between LO and VC, just based on the advertising campaign (which usually is related to the overall budget of the title) you would most likely guess LO.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
TRios_Zen said:
themanwithnoname said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
kowenicki said:

But for VC a game that had a really low budget + a low selling Genre of RPG... it did BETTER then any JRPG in general this gen, so please refrain from thorwin VC in with the bunch since its not quite the failure the rest semi were. (As far as Sales go.)

Furthermore, didn't sega create the "Canvas" engine for this game?  What's the rationale for calling it a low budget game?  Do we have proof of that?

As to the quality, VC is a damn good, and awfully fun game, I could not recommend it higher.  But damn, so was LO, I'd hate having missed one of these games.

Low budget probably comes from the advertising campaign, which was basically non-existent.  If you had to make a guess at which game was more costly between LO and VC, just based on the advertising campaign (which usually is related to the overall budget of the title) you would most likely guess LO.

Advertising cost money, no doubt, but that is hardly definitive proof, don't you think?  I don't want to de-rail the thread, so am totally willing to let this go.  VC is a damn fine game and deserving of sales. 

Just to stay on topic I'll say this, given the demographic generalizations of these two platforms and the PS3's dominance over the 360 in Japan, I'd be disappointed if a quality JRPG did NOT sell better on the PS3.  I think we could all agree that both LO and VC would sell better if they were multi-plat.

LOL! This thread is so pointless...are these games even in the same denomination genre?

TRios_Zen said:
Torillian said:
TRios_Zen said:
themanwithnoname said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
kowenicki said:

Advertising cost money, no doubt, but that is hardly definitive proof, don't you think?  I don't want to de-rail the thread, so am totally willing to let this go.  VC is a damn fine game and deserving of sales. 

Just to stay on topic I'll say this, given the demographic generalizations of these two platforms and the PS3's dominance over the 360 in Japan, I'd be disappointed if a quality JRPG did NOT sell better on the PS3.  I think we could all agree that both LO and VC would sell better if they were multi-plat.

yo Trios...let's play gears 2!

VC is much more deserving. I'm sure it's made its profit back by now, but it really should have sold more.

Around the Network

@zizzla

pointless?

not when no-one expected this to happen

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The TV show must of helped sales in Japan.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Heavenly Sigma said:
The TV show must of helped sales in Japan.

And the Blue Dragon anime helped Blue Dragon's sales as well.

@ Zizzla_Ratchet: This is a sales site, so I fail to see how a thread comparing the SALES of 2 (J)RPG's (don't want to start a genre discussion here) is pointless.

Ok, VC crowd, don't presume you now have "DA POWA!" and can use your pull to get another game going. Ok, if you can, please plug Guilty Gear 2: Overture.

themanwithnoname said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
kowenicki said:

Lost Odyssey isn't a SJRPG.