By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom responds to my 'Mario and his Content' forum post

theRepublic said:
RolStoppable said:
I figured out why Malstrom likes almost all of the old games better.

New games not only have to be better, but they also have to surpass the memories of the old games.

It makes perfect sense.

Yeah, nostalgia can be difficult to overcome.

Exactly, that's why reading anything out side of his Blue Ocean Strategy coreltation bloggin he ends up being just a classic fanatical fanboy. Except that he lives in nostalgia world instead of current consoles.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
liquidninja said:

@theRepublic

Can you tell me what you think his theory is?

I think you might be confused as to what he's really saying.

I'm just tired of him relating his content theory to actual sales.

He is obviously ignorant of the sales of the Zelda franschise, and I suspect the same of the Maio franchise.  As an engineer, it really bothers me that he is using that incorrect data to make a point.  Especially, since the correct data shows the exact opposite of his point for Zelda, and shows serious holes in the theory for Mario.  If you are going to claim you have a theory for why certain games are seeing declining or increasing sales you had better know the sales data.

I emailed him to point out that Zelda error two days ago.  I have recieved no response through email, and I have seen no change to the article.  You might think that two days is not a lot of time, but he managed to post his response to his blog after my first email within 12 hours.  You would think he would have time to change one sentence in two days when it only took him twelve hours to argue around my email without directly addressing the criticism.

I think content may be a great reason for popularity, or maybe even quality (although that is more subjective), but linking it to a perceived decline in the Mario (and Zelda) franchise, when the sales for those games show otherwise, is just wrong.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

you guys do care alot about this guy's feelings.

i'll ask again.... WHO THE HELL IS HE?!? and why is he important? (comeon too much forum posts on this same kid its making me think he is nintendo fan's god or something )

noname2200 said:
theRepublic said:
liquidninja said:
Actually, I think he said that new content will make a game sell forever. In other word superior content make a game a classic.
So his theory isn't all that vague.

Ah, I forgot he said that.

In the same piece he also said, "I am not linking content to pure sales."

How does it make sense to say that content is not linked to sales, but content makes a game sell forever?  This theory just seems disorganized to me.

Perhaps he's referring to not just how a game performs in its own generation, but whether it continues to do so as time goes on?

You may have something there.  In my reply I just gave to liquidninja, I said that content may be a great reason for popularity, and I think that may go hand-in-hand with this idea.  A game filled with great content, may have a sustaining popularity/lasting impression that keeps it in the mind of those who play it for a long time.  Hence the nostalgia for games like SMB, SMB3, and SM64.

It just really, really bothers me when he tries to make sales generalizations about these franchises when the data doesn't support him.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
liquidninja said:

@theRepublic

He is obviously ignorant of the sales of the Zelda franschise, and I suspect the same of the Maio franchise.  As an engineer, it really bothers me that he is using that incorrect data to make a point.  Especially, since the correct data shows the exact opposite of his point for Zelda, and shows serious holes in the theory for Mario.  If you are going to claim you have a theory for why certain games are seeing declining or increasing sales you had better know the sales data.

I emailed him to point out that Zelda error two days ago.  I have recieved no response through email, and I have seen no change to the article.  You might think that two days is not a lot of time, but he managed to post his response to his blog after my first email within 12 hours.  You would think he would have time to change one sentence in two days when it only took him twelve hours to argue around my email without directly addressing the criticism.

I think content may be a great reason for popularity, or maybe even quality (although that is more subjective), but linking it to a perceived decline in the Mario (and Zelda) franchise, when the sales for those games show otherwise, is just wrong.

Sales are a part of the theory. He wants to know what makes a game sale forever (as in become a classic).

Again, he did say that he wasn't linking content to pure sales. In his Mario and his Content post the only time he even mentions sales data is with NSMB to state why it sold 20 million. Most of the time he's talking about popularity and fan reactions. He never used sales data to prove his theory. If anything he's using popularity and fan reactions to support his theory.

Around the Network

"The first Star Trek movie, not a very strong showing, was emulating 2001: Space Odyssey."

What? Stanley Kubrick would be rolling in his fucking grave if he heard that.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

liquidninja said:
theRepublic said:
liquidninja said:

@theRepublic

Sales are a part of the theory. He wants to know what makes a game sale forever (as in become a classic).

Again, he did say that he wasn't linking content to pure sales. In his Mario and his Content post the only time he even mentions sales data is with NSMB to state why it sold 20 million. Most of the time he's talking about popularity and fan reactions. He never used sales data to prove his theory. If anything he's using popularity and fan reactions to support his theory.

You're telling me this guy who writes about video game business is suddenly not writing about business?  News to me.

Now Playing

@theRepublic

Not all business is sales statistics you know.

I think what he's doing is trying to figure out is how to make a classic game. I can't remember exactly but I think he said something along the lines of "[What would you rather make a game that sells fast or a game that sells forever?]". If Nintendo had the choice I think they'd want all their Mario games to be classic.

Malstrom? Never heard of him. I don't understand why you guys pay attention to analysts such as Malstrom and Patcher. I laugh in their face.

He was talking about success. There is critical success and commercial success. We all know that Malstrom hates the critics, so which could it be?

Now Playing