By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kotaku's Rumor: Wii Pirce drop comming in October

Well it's time I guess.

Advance retail listings forwarded to Kotaku indicate that Nintendo is planning to issue its first price drop on the Wii, with a less expensive version of the console—currently priced at $249—coming the first week of October.

That listing comes from an early version of a Walmart ad that loosely dates, but does not price a "rollback" for Nintendo's console. While the ad is not official confirmation of a price drop, the timing makes sense, as the Wii is about to enter its fourth holiday shopping season at its original price.

Should Nintendo announce a price drop prior to October, it has a venue at which to do it. The company will be participating at the Kyoto Cross Media Experience 2009, a multimedia event that runs September 26th to October 4th, overlapping with the Tokyo Game Show.

http://kotaku.com/5357766/wii-price-drop-looks-to-hit-first-week-of-october

Now the question is ... How much??

Around the Network

Kyoto Cross? Is this a new thing for them?

I doubt it, though. We've gone over again and again why they have mostly everything to gain from pushing through the holiday season without a cut. Even if they lose potential sales, they'll gain in revenue, which many here hold is more important to them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

A less expensive version... releasing it without Wii Sports then? Or maybe Wii Sports bundle will be the entry-level bundle, and then at 250$ comes NSMBWii bundle? Though, this wouldn't really work for Japan.

Or maybe this is all false. It is just a rumour, after all. I personally wouldn't cut the price unless NSMBWii fails to push any hardware as a standalone product.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

I don't see the point in dropping the price before megaton NSMB Wii hits. Someone just had to start a Wii price drop rumor.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

It's pointless. The only game I see worth getting is the new Super Mario bros. I doubt there will be a hardware sales increase because of it since the Wii is at the top already.

Around the Network

Doesn't make any sense. October is the beginning of their big software push in all regions, and Iwata keeps stressing that software is what keeps sales up.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

axumblade said:
Interesting. I can't wait until then to see what happens. I'm still not sure if I completely believe it.

Just letting you know your sig is cool, but is has a minor typo. It says "Domed" instead of "Doomed". Not sure if you made it or someone else did. Again, just letting you know.

On topic, I'll just wait and see,

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Yeah, but there´s no real new software for the year´s end.

Cmon, people: we are excited for New Super Mario Bros Wii, sure...

But do you really belive "regular" people will buy it?

A 2d game for a home console?????????? in 2009?

Not a single chance.

So, new software wont move more units this chrismas, cause theres not any "new" software for the rest of 2009. A price drop could do the trick.

maykissthebride said:

Not a single chance.

So, new software wont move more units this chrismas, cause theres not any "new" software for the rest of 2009. A price drop could do the trick.

Umm... what?

Say that to the near-20 million people who bought NSMB for DS.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
maykissthebride said:

Not a single chance.

I do say that City Folk has shown us that there is a chance that NSMBWii will fizzle (not fizzle, but fail to light the console sales aflame, much as City Folk itself did), because users have different values for console games than for handheld games, but if this game does half of what the original NSMB did, it will be one of the top-selling games released in this year (though it won't get those sales all at once)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.