By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many of you got 3D game' motion sickness?

How many of you got 3D game' motion sickness?

Some said it's caused by low frames rate, some said it's because of the viwing distance and angle

I got this problem on certain games only(usually FPS, but Beautiful Katamari, Mario 64 and APE Escape 2 makes me dizzy too,  but i can play ACE Combat, Dynasty Warriors and APE Escape 3 for hours without any problem),

i wonder what is the root cause of the problem and is there a solution?

Around the Network

i get slight motion sickness playing fps. But that is due to me not playing fps, or hardly.

I get slightly dizzy when watching crysis videos, but thats pretty much the only game, and not that much either

The reason is this:

The eye detects movement, or the lack of it.

The ear also is capable of detecting movement. Deep within the recesses of your ear there is a liquid used by the brain to detect movement. Whenever there is movement, that liquid sloshes around in your ear, letting your brain know that "hey, I'm moving!"

The problem is when you play games like FPSs: While your eyes are telling your brain "wow, I'm jumping around and ducking rockets", your ear is telling your brain, "what movement? You're standing still!"

Confusion in your brain ensues, promising a very nauseating time.

The same phenomenon happens with ships (albeit in reverse). You get seasick because the liquid in your ear is sloshing around, but your eyes, fixated on the horizon, do not detect movement.

If you get seasick, chances are you will get "FPS-sick".

And no, although a slight percentage of the global population does, I don't suffer from this. 

I think a lot of motion sickness is caused by a mismatch between the viewing angle of the display and the field of view of the game. The first thing I always recommend to anyone experiencing motion sickness is to sit farther away from their display.

Around the Network

I have never had this happen to me until i saw the Mario galaxy videos where he is running around the planets, i felt very sick and almost threw up. I also find it interesting that the motion sickness and the dizzy feel affects the Japanese consumers more then the NA or European consumers. This has a large impact on the sales of FPS games in japan.

I've never gotten it in any kind of sort. Totally immune. Doesn't matter what game it is.

I DON'T get it. 

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I have it, but also only from fps like Galaki. I loved Goldeneye, it didn't cause any motion sickness at all. The worst experience I had was with Duke Nukem 64. That game made me wanna throw up when playing longer than 10 minutes. It got worse when Duke got shrunk!

Have you tried taking Dramamine before you played?

GranTurismo said:
I have never had this happen to me until i saw the Mario galaxy videos where he is running around the planets, i felt very sick and almost threw up.
Weird. The same thing happened to me, when I was watching some Galaxy videos I felt some sickness (not to the extent of throwing up). But after that experience I hope it doesn't repeat itself when I'm playing Galaxy in my living room.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"