By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Project Natal: Bigger and Badder Than We Thought

Orca_Azure said:
I wish there was more info on the price

I think M$ is going to look at the Wii Fit model and launch it for $99 as a standalone with a game, and $379 as part of a beefer 360 sku.  I also think we are going to see a new 360 model next year...nothing radical like the PS3 Fat to PS3 Slim, but an internal re-design.  We KNOW that work M$ is working a new chipset 45NM...maybe 32 NM, which will drastically cut cost.  I'm sure there are people watching Xbox suppliers for when we will see it.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
thabigdon24 said:
But this would probably add 50-75 bucks to the whole thing....don't know if that is a good idea.

The 360 is already so cheap, and by the end of 2010, it will be even more. So 50-75 wouldn't add that much to the cost of the 360 then. And besides, your getting an XBOX 360 with NATAL. What better deal is there than that?

Crashdown77 said:
Lord N said:
crumas2 said:

Who would want to play using a different control interface? What about no feedback. This is too funny, and the weakest argument of them all. Now everybody watch what happens in this next process:

1. I explain how silly the "no feedback/new control interface" argument is... the Wii uses a radically new control interface, and is selling more games and consoles this gen than the competitors. And moving your arm around to play tennis, bowling, Zelda, etc. seems to work well, provides no "feedback", and millions upon millions of consumers have bought into it.

1) The Wiimote was available from the beginning, meaning that every Wii owner has one. This obviously isn't the case with the 360. Millions upon millions upon millions of 360 owners won't have one. This means that devs aren't going to put a lot of effort into it because it would be to risky to make software for something that only a small fraction of the user base will have.

2) Nintendo made sure that software was there from jump to take advantage of the Wiimote and Nunchuk. To be more specific, software that appeals to every demographic. Microsoft hasn't even managed to do this with a standard controller. Their software appeals exclusively to core and hardcore gamers, and every game that they've made that was supposed to have more appeal like Lips, Scene It, Banjo & Kazooie, Kameo, and Viva Pinata has failed miserably to do so.

Bottom line, no add-on that was released mid-generation has ever had any real impact, and my first paragraph pretty much explains why.

In regards to bolded, have you not heard of the Wii Balance Board? Seriously, why is Nintendo completely ignored when it suits a fanboys purposes? Also, I remember after E3 and people brought up how Natal could do head tracking with Forza, and all the Sony fans were like "Stoopid!" "You can't seez the tv'ses!", now that it's in GT5 it's just another great feature! Hooray!

The Wii Balance Board was released as an accessory to a specific game. It's not like Nintendo had a run-of-the-mill controller and then released the Balance Board as a new controller for other games. This is what Microsoft is doing, and why it won't work.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Cueil said:
Darth Tigris said:
Crashdown77 said:
Lord N said:
crumas2 said:

Who would want to play using a different control interface? What about no feedback. This is too funny, and the weakest argument of them all. Now everybody watch what happens in this next process:

1. I explain how silly the "no feedback/new control interface" argument is... the Wii uses a radically new control interface, and is selling more games and consoles this gen than the competitors. And moving your arm around to play tennis, bowling, Zelda, etc. seems to work well, provides no "feedback", and millions upon millions of consumers have bought into it.

1) The Wiimote was available from the beginning, meaning that every Wii owner has one. This obviously isn't the case with the 360. Millions upon millions upon millions of 360 owners won't have one. This means that devs aren't going to put a lot of effort into it because it would be to risky to make software for something that only a small fraction of the user base will have.

2) Nintendo made sure that software was there from jump to take advantage of the Wiimote and Nunchuk. To be more specific, software that appeals to every demographic. Microsoft hasn't even managed to do this with a standard controller. Their software appeals exclusively to core and hardcore gamers, and every game that they've made that was supposed to have more appeal like Lips, Scene It, Banjo & Kazooie, Kameo, and Viva Pinata has failed miserably to do so.

Bottom line, no add-on that was released mid-generation has ever had any real impact, and my first paragraph pretty much explains why.

In regards to bolded, have you not heard of the Wii Balance Board? Seriously, why is Nintendo completely ignored when it suits a fanboys purposes? Also, I remember after E3 and people brought up how Natal could do head tracking with Forza, and all the Sony fans were like "Stoopid!" "You can't seez the tv'ses!", now that it's in GT5 it's just another great feature! Hooray!

Welcome to VGChartz forums.

I have a better example... Dual Shock Controllers... Sony launched them and then put them in every system from that point on and look at it now

Look at what?

Sony is still in third place.

Besides, Dual Shock Controllers aren't that drastic of a change. The controller interface is basically the same as it was before.

mrstickball said:
The argument should change to 'No company has ever launched a mid-gen add-on that was effective.....If it wasn't packaged with every system sold'.

That's NATAL's key.

Totally irrelevant. There will still be 40+ million 360 owners who won't have it.

Around the Network
Lord N said:
mrstickball said:
The argument should change to 'No company has ever launched a mid-gen add-on that was effective.....If it wasn't packaged with every system sold'.

That's NATAL's key.

Totally irrelevant. There will still be 40+ million 360 owners who won't have it.

No it's not irrelevant... Microsoft wants those 30-40 million Wii owners who don't have a 360 to buy the 360.  So in effect Microsoft will be selling to those people and to others who want 360s and on top of that others like myself who would like it will buy the add on for our current 360s and those who have 360s in the house may purchase it for their own use... like a wife who wants a fitness game or whatever would buy it for her husbands 360...  If Microsoft does this right they'll have a strong 50 percent plus base with the Natal by the end of the 360's life cycle... but then we don't know how this will turn out in the end... hopefully the economy will be turning into the right direction by then and we'll start acting like the capitalistic society that we really are

Cueil said:
Lord N said:
mrstickball said:

That's NATAL's key.

No it's not irrelevant... Microsoft wants those 30-40 million Wii owners who don't have a 360 to buy the 360.  So in effect Microsoft will be selling to those people and to others who want 360s and on top of that others like myself who would like it will buy the add on for our current 360s and those who have 360s in the house may purchase it for their own use... like a wife who wants a fitness game or whatever would buy it for her husbands 360...  If Microsoft does this right they'll have a strong 50 percent plus base with the Natal by the end of the 360's life cycle... but then we don't know how this will turn out in the end... hopefully the economy will be turning into the right direction by then and we'll start acting like the capitalistic society that we really are

By the time Natal is released, the Wii user base will be nearing 60 million, and as I said before, most gamers don't buy more than one system.

A 50% Natal user base? Are you crazy? There will be 40 million 360's sold at the release of Natal, so you're saying that MSFT is going to sell 80 million 360's? Yeah right. I'm sorry, but the 360 doesn't have anywhere near that kind of appeal.

Wii is a brand name now. A lot of people now about it, heard of it, etc. People will continue to buy whats popular over what isnt. Natal may provide a 'superior' experience, but it wont steal 'casuals' from the Wii.

Looking at the current landscape, If Natal can help drive LTD sales of the 360 past 50 million; it will have been wildly successful. M$ looks to have bigger plans for the technology, with Xbox as the first instantiation of it.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

okay look everyone. The natal is going to be huge for microsoft. It will take about a year to come out. Stop saying there wont be any games for it. I heard they are going to put Fable 3 for it, and in the future halo, call of duty, and left 4 dead. it may seem slow at first, but give it time. It will prove itself worthy.