By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 10 Things I hate about you, gaming

#5 what's the difference for the game developper or publisher between used games sales and piracy?
-> the general public has access to used games just by going to a shop AND are obviously willing to pay for them (meaning someone does a profit on their back too). => real loss of revenues.

#7 Errr time think is fun though (Max Payne) and did help the game to feel special.

#9 It's not so much of a "we should get this for free" as a "we should get more for that price".

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

Number 8 is just bullshit.

If he believes that the 360 and PS3 are so similar, then he should also believe that the N64 and PS1 are also similar. Hardly something to hate about THIS gen.

Plus there is a bigger difference between the PS3 and 360 than between the N64 and PS1. 360 has a better online service (at a cost), PS3 can play Blu Ray Discs.

Hephaestos said:
#5 what's the difference for the game developper or publisher between used games sales and piracy?
-> the general public has access to used games just by going to a shop AND are obviously willing to pay for them (meaning someone does a profit on their back too). => real loss of revenues.

Okay. I create a widget and start selling it for $1000 apiece. Only, my widget is just about as good as Company B's wiget. Company B is selling their widgets for $500 apiece. Before we know it, the few people who bought my $1000 widgets are turning around and reselling them used for, say, $450 apiece. Before we know it, people are buying the $450 used ones instead of my $1000 new ones.

Now, I may be losing money to the secondary market, but that's not "real loss of revenues" in any sense of the word. It's me pricing my product at too high of a price point, and the secondary market compensating to make sales competitive.

The only reason why a game developer/publisher would ever lose money on used game sales is if they're pricing their games too high in the first place.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

RolStoppable said:
tombi123 said:
Number 8 is just bullshit.

If he believes that the 360 and PS3 are so similar, then he should also believe that the N64 and PS1 are also similar. Hardly something to hate about THIS gen.

Plus there is a bigger difference between the PS3 and 360 than between the N64 and PS1. 360 has a better online service (at a cost), PS3 can play Blu Ray Discs.

Good one.

Cheers.

Well this turned out a lot better than I thought.
I basically thought all of that a long time ago.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Very good read, all 10 points are very sound, Monti does have a point with 10 since games like OoT and MGS were just the 2D series going 3D and doing it well. But I also agree 1998 was probably the best year for games. Generally when there's a big leap in how games work, major game innovation soon follow, and 1998 was just that year. It can be taken as nostalgia glasses but I'm thinking he means he'd love to have game innovation every year with something new that will help produce more awesome games, like OoT did to inspire so many action games.

Other then getting a little huffy-puffy over the minor details of 10 the whole article makes so much sense. Why whine about GS selling a million used copies of your game? You sold 1.5 million, oh you barely broke even? Tough shit 1.5 million for an average game every other generation would have been a resounding success at a lower price point. If you don't like how much it cost to develop a game and how hard it is to break even it's not the consumers or the store selling your games fault, period.

agreed.

also, the high cost of development might scare some devs away from innovation, and make them focus on following the "old faithful" genres.

Obviously some buck the trend (i.e. Braid, Flower etc) but the financial risk is becoming high. running the risk of making and investing in something new and untested vs. something tried, trusted and familiar  is a tough nut indeed

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Garcian Smith said:
Hephaestos said:

Okay. I create a widget and start selling it for $1000 apiece. Only, my widget is just about as good as Company B's wiget. Company B is selling their widgets for $500 apiece. Before we know it, the few people who bought my $1000 widgets are turning around and reselling them used for, say, $450 apiece. Before we know it, people are buying the $450 used ones instead of my $1000 new ones.

Now, I may be losing money to the secondary market, but that's not "real loss of revenues" in any sense of the word. It's me pricing my product at too high of a price point, and the secondary market compensating to make sales competitive.

The only reason why a game developer/publisher would ever lose money on used game sales is if they're pricing their games too high in the first place.

I would also mention that other markets has customers selling their products used.  Why should the gaming industry think they are special.  Yes, it is a loss of revenue, but it is also a user's right to do so.

That is one reason why I hate DRM.  Takes our right away to sell used product.

Garcian Smith said:

Okay. I seriously didn't get what part Company B played in this mess.

This is invisible text!

I liked 1-9. 10 was just whiny.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

As I buyer of used games, I loved the publisher being taken to task for not being able to make a profit despite selling 1.5 Million copies.

Also, I thought the last point could have been made stronger had it been noted that the games we eagerly await today are often sequels/decendents of those games.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV