By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 10 Things I hate about you, gaming

Thing is Montana, most of those games you mention aren't as ground-shaking as the 98 crew, many are just more modern refined versions of games released long ago, he's not saying the games aren't good, he's saying that they don't reach the level of classic games that the '98 games are.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Thing is Montana, most of those games you mention aren't as ground-shaking as the 98 crew, many are just more modern refined versions of games released long ago, he's not saying the games aren't good, he's saying that they don't reach the level of classic games that the '98 games are.

Nostalgia then. Of course those games broke bounds, they were released in the period of a major turning point in gaming (3D, cinematics, analog control, etc.). However, and I quote him:

"Has there been a game released this generation that is better, or more epoch-defining, than a single one of those games released in that one year?"

And the answer is most certainly yes. I'm sorry for him if he wants to live in 1998, but let's face it. By your criteria, most of the games that were released in 1998 were just refined versions of past games too. Where's the line anyways? Are the first games in their genres so ground breaking and amazing just because they were the first to do something? Resident Evil 2 certainly wasn't the first game of its kind, nor was Ocarina of Time. I don't play "epoch-defining," I play fun. There's plenty of that to be had these days.

I preorder sometimes because it knocks 15% off the price and if I have to turn around and sell the game, it only really costs me another 5-15% of the purchase price. Its actually a better deal than a rental and I can keep it if I like it.

I would replace #10 with this. Stop obsessing over exclusives people!!! I doubt that there is a single exclusive for my PS3 that would be any less fun if it was shared with the Xbox 360 gamers. Personally I think that anyone who obsesses over them is either ignorant or a fanboy and either way isn't worth listening to. If I bought every single game from Capcom ahead of other publishers because I believed they were somehow better, I would be a very sad gamer.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Meh. I consider FFXII ground-shaking. One of the first games ever where you get to build a complex AI. I consider Rock Band ground breaking, a full fledge band game. Besides which, honestly im having as much fun now as I did in 1998.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Very good read, all 10 points are very sound, Monti does have a point with 10 since games like OoT and MGS were just the 2D series going 3D and doing it well. But I also agree 1998 was probably the best year for games. Generally when there's a big leap in how games work, major game innovation soon follow, and 1998 was just that year. It can be taken as nostalgia glasses but I'm thinking he means he'd love to have game innovation every year with something new that will help produce more awesome games, like OoT did to inspire so many action games.

Other then getting a little huffy-puffy over the minor details of 10 the whole article makes so much sense. Why whine about GS selling a million used copies of your game? You sold 1.5 million, oh you barely broke even? Tough shit 1.5 million for an average game every other generation would have been a resounding success at a lower price point. If you don't like how much it cost to develop a game and how hard it is to break even it's not the consumers or the store selling your games fault, period.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Well well, that was a really interesting read. Good article.

This is invisible text!

11. I still feel like alot of people see me as a geeky nerd just because I play games. Seriously, I'm not!

12. Gaming takes up so much time, I don't have the time to finish games like GTA IV or...pretty much any big game nowdays. This also means you feel like you are missing out on some great gaming experiences. Damn you meagre 24-hour day/night cycle!

i disagreed with most of his points.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Those games were milestones, because they were the first major 3D titles on a console.

The jump from 2D to 3D was crazy. Look today we talk about the jump from SD to HD in console gaming and people get really excited about it. Now imagine the excitement for the jump from 2D to 3D must have caused.

This gen we came from this:

To This

Sure it looks better. But the jump is not huge comapred to 1998.

They came from this:

to this

Of course you remember the first games you played in 3D. You were blown away and you loved them to death.

I agree most of those games are really great, I feel the same. But they were great at that time and it is simply not fair to say things were better back in the days. 

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

lol i wonder what will happen when the eight-generation consoles come out...

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!