By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has any console maker came back from 3rd place to 1st or 2nd?

@ celine

However I think that Align function is useful for some comparision between console of different generation.

I think it's more useful, albeit the graphs don't take into account crucial factors like pricepoints. IMO the breakup of consoles into generations is pretty much artificial, at least in the past the classification was based on CPU architecture, 8-bit generation, 16-bit generation and so forth. The Playstation did compete with the Snes at a time, the Nintendo Wii IMO competes more with the Slimline PS2 than it does with the PS3.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ celine

However I think that Align function is useful for some comparision between console of different generation.

I think it's more useful, albeit the graphs don't take into account crucial factors like pricepoints. IMO the breakup of consoles into generations is pretty much artificial, at least in the past the classification was based on CPU architecture, 8-bit generation, 16-bit generation and so forth. The Playstation did compete with the Snes at a time, the Nintendo Wii IMO competes more with the Slimline PS2 than it does with the PS3.

Video games are an atificial concept in the first place. So are the economics that drive console gens. So is the concept of progress. So you aren't giving any real insight by that comment.

EDIT: I meant technological progress. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

this depends on how you define a comeback. There have been some that have overcome other consoles that launched first, there have been a few that have changed from 2nd to 3rd place and vice versa, but even those that changed places were always very close to each other. The PS3 overcoming the 360 wouldn't be something that has never happened before, but the PS3 coming back to outsell the Wii would be something that has never even come close to happening before.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

madskillz said:
A lot of speculation (PS3 will win) comes from two sources - Sony fanboys and analysts. And they are basing their beliefs on last-gen numbers. They are NOT looking at the parallels - they aren't looking at the fact that exclusives were key to the PS2's success.

Just look at this ... and I am just talking about the 360 vs. the PS3 - the Wii will win, but the 360 will close that gap ...

PS2 vs. Xbox

PS2 - first out of the gate
PS2 - won the hearts of developers
PS2 - won GTA exclusivity for two years
PS2 - had infamous disk read error
PS2 - ended up winning the last-gen war

Xbox - was last out of the stable
Xbox - was rather ackward
Xbox - had a much higher price point that dropped very, very fast
Xbox - was more reliable
Xbox - lost the fight due to the PS2's domination

Now, let's look at this fight - sans the Wii ...

Xbox 360 - first out of the gate
Xbox 360 - is definitely much, much easier to develop for
Xbox 360 - has the 3 rings of death and scratching controversy
Xbox 360 - locked up exclusives, and stole some PS3 exclusives - or bought them ...
Xbox 360 - has a software title that sold 2.6 million copies on the first couple days release

and the PS3

PS3 - last out of the stable
PS3 - much, much more reliable
PS3 - much higher price point
PS3 - very hard to develop, developers say - more than once, mind you ...
PS3 - is history repeating itself? Me thinks so ...

Anyone considering a PS3 should keep this analysis close to your heart ...

One thing that doesn't change between generations are strategies. The 360 may have some disadvantages, but still, it's running the PS2 playbook to a tie and winning ...

Actually, the Nintendo Wii was released a few days after the Playstation 3, therefore, the Playstation 3 was not the last out of the stable.

Nintendo = Sony

1. PS1>N64
2. PS2>GC
3. DS>PSP
4. Wii>PS3

Score is 2:2

Nintendo = Micorosft

1. XB>GC
2. Wii>360

Score is 1:1

Sony = Microsoft

1. PS2>XB
2. 360>PS3

Currently, everyone is tied...

Around the Network
a.l.e.x59 said:
Nintendo = Sony

1. PS1>N64
2. PS2>GC
3. DS>PSP
4. Wii>PS3

Score is 2:2

Nintendo = Micorosft

1. XB>GC
2. Wii>360

Sony = Microsoft

1. PS2>XB
2. 360>PS3

Currently, everyone is tied...

wow

a.l.e.x59 said:
madskillz said:
A lot of speculation (PS3 will win) comes from two sources - Sony fanboys and analysts. And they are basing their beliefs on last-gen numbers. They are NOT looking at the parallels - they aren't looking at the fact that exclusives were key to the PS2's success.

Just look at this ... and I am just talking about the 360 vs. the PS3 - the Wii will win, but the 360 will close that gap ...

PS2 vs. Xbox

PS2 - first out of the gate
PS2 - won the hearts of developers
PS2 - won GTA exclusivity for two years
PS2 - had infamous disk read error
PS2 - ended up winning the last-gen war

Xbox - was last out of the stable
Xbox - was rather ackward
Xbox - had a much higher price point that dropped very, very fast
Xbox - was more reliable
Xbox - lost the fight due to the PS2's domination

Now, let's look at this fight - sans the Wii ...

Xbox 360 - first out of the gate
Xbox 360 - is definitely much, much easier to develop for
Xbox 360 - has the 3 rings of death and scratching controversy
Xbox 360 - locked up exclusives, and stole some PS3 exclusives - or bought them ...
Xbox 360 - has a software title that sold 2.6 million copies on the first couple days release

and the PS3

PS3 - last out of the stable
PS3 - much, much more reliable
PS3 - much higher price point
PS3 - very hard to develop, developers say - more than once, mind you ...
PS3 - is history repeating itself? Me thinks so ...

Anyone considering a PS3 should keep this analysis close to your heart ...

One thing that doesn't change between generations are strategies. The 360 may have some disadvantages, but still, it's running the PS2 playbook to a tie and winning ...

Actually, the Nintendo Wii was released a few days after the Playstation 3, therefore, the Playstation 3 was not the last out of the stable.

Now, let's look at this fight - sans the Wii ... - apparently, you didn't see this statement. I am talking about a 360 vs. PS3 battle, not a 3-way fight. Thanks and have a great day.