By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has any console maker came back from 3rd place to 1st or 2nd?

Unfortunatley for the PS3 it is facing the same problems that the Gamecube faced, and will probably have the same end result the Gamecube had.

The gamecube came out with a decent lineup of games, but not games (besides Smash) that you go out and buy a system for. Throughout the Gamecubes history there was a lack of really strong games. The PS3 has no super strong AAA titles holding it afloat this holiday. Name one exclusive game that has the potential to sell millions of systems that comes out before 08. It doesnt exist. The Gamecube brought out great games over its lifetime, as I am sure the PS3 will, but it ended up third even though it had those great games, just as the PS3 will. That is my prediction, and judging from the way the PS3 is performing today, with the meaningless price cuts and no incredibly game until 08, it has probably already lost its footing and will continue to release a few good games that may enable it to limp on.

If it doesn't catch up this Christmas it won't catch up at all. The outlook is bleak.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Around the Network

No love? I Love you too Blade.

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

leo-j said:
Mark my words:

" PS3 will end up winning this console war"

I want to be the vgchartz patchter!!

In the sense that both you and Pachter are a total joke?

Did YOU watch all of that video?

Pachter on 2007 sales:

"It's possible" GT will outsell Halo 3 this year?

Something that's multiplatform "really has a chance" to outsell Halo 3 this year?

There's a chance HARRY POTTER will outsell Halo 3 on global sales this year (do book sales count)?

I don't know who Shane Satterfield is, but he's the one who gets it right: A price cut isn't going to help the PS3 at this point. What they need is games, and a killer ap (MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII, etc.).

Same with N'Gai Croal: the current console prices are still too high, considering most people bought the Xbox at $199 to $149.

Pachter is just a douche (Wii HD with Blu-ray out after one more year, maybe Pachter is leo-j, just another clueless Sony fanboy) who doesn't know what he's talking about but occassionaly still gets some things right by accident.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

THe book did sell 12 million day one, lol

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

HappySqurriel said:
Steve 3.2 said:
While it was briefly mentioned, NEC and Sega kicked off the fourth console generation early (in 1987 and 1988 respectively). Both consoles reached the US in 1989. Nintendo would not release the SNES until 1990 in Japan and 1991 in the US. And while the SNES quickly took the sales lead in Japan, it took years for Nintendo to catch up to the Genesis. So Nintendo has gone from third to first before.

And @ madskillz - The one thing the 360 does not have is the same sales curve. I don't think the system will reach the 22M the PS2 did after it's 2nd full holiday on store shelves. So while MS may have borrowed the PS2's play book, they didn't know that the industry isn't playing the same game this time around.

Can the PS3 go from last to first? It probably won't happen. It's going to be the Wii in front with the PS3 and 360 fighting for second place over the long haul.

The console war has far less to do with sales and far more to do with momentium. From day 1 the SNES sold more than the Genesis and it became obvious that it would eventually outsell it.

As for Final Fantasy ... Square choose to release Final Fantasy games to the Wonderswan Color rather than to the Gameboy Advance because (at the time) they had a very poor relationship with Nintendo and wanted to see the Gameboy Advance fail; eventually, after the wonderswan failed, Square ported those Final Fantasy games to the GBA.

Individual games (and a small set of games) really do not have that much of an impact on sales to actually determine the outcome of the console war. The XBox 360 had Bioshock and Halo 3 (along with the superior versions of Madden football, NHL hockey and NBA basketball) in a little over one month, both games are contenders for game of the year, and sales spiked yet the system's rate of sales will not be dramatically impacted by this; certainly 500,000 systems may have been sold because of these factors, but in order to maintain sales like this Microsoft would have to continue having a game of the year contender every month and the best version of most multiplatform games which probably won't happen.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo (along with the other big 2008 releases) will probably boost sales by 2 to 3 million for the PS3 but being that it is already 8 Million units behind and is losing ground every day these games will not make the difference.

HappySquirrel I couldn't agree with you more. The only word that I caught in that whole good and excellent post was momentum. And currently the PS3 doesn't have it. Especially in Japan, now one can prove those numbers. No console can keep brining out countless AAA games a month. But if its previous games or features on the console are awesome than the console will still have the momentum. If we look at the Wii its selling and its momentum is extremely high. In Japan I don't know what happened, its just fell from 80k to 20k. Thats not good, showing that Nintendo is now lacking in software. The Xbox 360 in Japan is doing way better than the original, considering it still has more momentum than the original Xbox. The Xbox brand in Japan is making a name and is fixing what otherwise left a bad taste in for the Japanese from last generation.

Again momentum is the key to when a console war and if you have countless pieces of software coming out then the console will live on and on. But if you bombed the first year and can't build up then there is a problem. I don't think the PS3 can rebound back to second or first. Due to the PS3 left an really awful taste to consumers at the begining. So good luck PS3 with your 2008 lineup. It will do something and gain some momentum, but then Sony has to worry about after 2008 whats next? What can they do to keep the momentum on top. Look at the PSP, it had a extreme lack of momentum compared to the DS. DS just had countless software being bought out every single week or month, whereas the PSP would get good software every so month. PSP just didn't have enough momentum to carry itself and we can see that, the sales are explaining that. But momentum is what the PS3, PSP and the Xbox 360 needs in Japan to keep it afloat. And its just not doing anything. And how many times are people saying just wait till 2008 or wait till 40GB version of the PS3 to come out. I mean I do have some faith that it might help Sony but not gain enough momentum though. We will see, action speaks louder than words!

Around the Network

Yes, the Nintendo 64 initially greatly outsold the Playstation in Japan.

It's not possible to make an accurate or meaningful comparison with distant past situations, this for various reasons. For one game consoles in the past were developed to be very cheap, thus not allowing the technology to drop much in cost in course of time, secondly launch games were more on par with later games, like Sonic The Hedgehog is still my favourite for the Sega Mega Drive and Super Mario World is still my favourite for the Snes, for comparison the PS3's hardware offers a lot of headroom for developers thus Killzone 2 and other future games will be technically far more impressive than PS3 launch games. Creating Epic games, like God of War can take up to 3 years of development time!

Then there are other additional factors to take into account, current consoles can be better expanded with upgrades, are multi-functional and the software features can be expanded through later firmware updates. Secondary product popularity also effects game console sales in the case of the PS3, like HDTV penetration and Blu-Ray movie player adoption.

So, there are so many new factors to take into account as compared to Mega Drive vs Snes wars.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
Yes, the Nintendo 64 initially greatly outsold the Playstation in Japan.

It's not possible to make a accurate comparison with past situations for various reasons. For one game consoles were developed to be very cheap, not allowing the technology to drop that much in cost in course of time, secondly launch games were more on par with later games Sonic The Hedgehog is still my favourite for the Sega Mega Drive and Super Mario World is my favourite for the Snes, for comparison the PS3's hardware offers a lot of headroom for developers thus Killzone 2 and other future games will be technically far more impressive than PS3 launch games.

Then there are other additional factors, current consoles can better expanded with upgrades and the software features expanded through firmware updates. Seconday product popularity also effects game console sales in the case of the PS3, like HDTV penetration and Blu-Ray movie player adoption.

So, there are so many new factors to take into account as compared to Mega Drive vs Snes wars.

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=N64&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS&reg2=Japan&cons3=SAT&reg3=Japan

The little blue line never crosses the little red line ... The Playstation had an 18 month lead to build steam before the N64 was released

@ HappySqurriel

OK, but if you align launches the N64 outsold the console within the same timespan of availability initially and outsold the Playstation during launch, Nintendo sold more units than the original Playstation would ever sell within one week in Japan.

When Sony launched the Playstation Nintendo was still dominating the market.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ RolStoppable

Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't a launch game, it came out nearly 3 years after the Genesis launched and you should finally admit that the DKC games were technically vastly superior to Super Mario World.

OK I stand corrected, but the console was released much later here in Europe. Sonic the Hedgehog I believe was the primary reason why the Mega Drive sold well over here.

With regard to DKC games... IMO mainly pre-rendered graphics vs ordinary handdrawn cartoony-like graphics.

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ HappySqurriel

OK, but if you align launches the N64 outsold the console within the same timespan of availability initially and outsold the Playstation during launch, Nintendo sold more units than the original Playstation would ever sell within one week in Japan.

When Sony launched the Playstation Nintendo was still dominating the market.

How does that have anything to do with this thread? The N64 never caught up to the PS1. This thread is about 3rd place consoles that actually managed to be number 1 at the end of the generation.