By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nigeria's federal govt demands Sony apology over PS3 Slim Advert

Nigeria's federal govt demands Sony apology over PS3 Slim Nigerian Prince joke

Tuesday, 08 Sep 2009 15:58
PS3 Slim ad

Nigeria's Federal Government has demanded an apology from Sony over the PS3 Slim's latest US advertisement.

The ad in question features the "Director of Rumour Confirmation" responding to a consumer asking about the $299 PS3 price-cut rumours, to which the Director responds:

"Bernie you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, otherwise I would be a Nigerian Millionaire by now."

The US campaign for the PS3 Slim was seen as a return to form for Sony Computer Entertainment, showing that they can not only make fun of themselves, but also understand internet memes.

The Nigerian Prince joke is in reference to email scams, where the sender claims to be a Nigerian government official or a member of its royal family and requests assistance to transfer millions of dollars out of Nigeria, often titled "Urgent, Private."

Nigeria's government has taken offence to the reference, asking for an unconditional apology from Sony Corp., seeing the ad as an attempt to undermine Nigeria's global business, the Nation Blog reports.

Prof. Dora Akunyili, information and communication minister, released this statement:

"It is on record that Sony Corporation has operated in Nigeria since independence and has enjoyed tremendous patronage from Nigerians at home and abroad.

"Over these years, there is no established record that the company has recorded any major fraud by Nigerians.

"While Nigeria accepts that there are few criminal-minded people within her population like any other country including Japan, the home country of Sony Corporation, the Federal Government has put in place institutions to rid the country of fraudulent practices."

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/formats/playstation3/nigeria-s-federal-govt-demands-sony-apology-over-ps3-slim-nigerian-prince-joke-$1325557.htm

Around the Network

LOL, that funny, I got one of those emails, but I never saw the advert

hahahahaha,
sorry what? hahahahaha
thats like feeling insulted by calling a gringo, gringo.

...it's true though...

I got one of those emails and I saw the commercial. I didn't believe that Sony was making fun of the Nigerian government at all and I think that the Nigerian officials are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Around the Network

I think they already changed all of those commercials to saying "You can't believe everything on the internet that is how World War 1 started".

LOL, this is hilarious. I love those Nigerian scams. The recent one I got was an old woman dying of cancer asking for my account no. and sort code to give me her "monies" before she dies, lol.

I'm Nigerian and the first time I saw the ad, It felt kinda weird. But it doesn't bother me anymore because I actually like the commercial

I see nothing but Sony making statement towards the email spam and that is all. Funny ad.

After being emailed by a good dozen or so nigerian princes, I gotta say- they've become a famous and sony has every right to joke on them :p