By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What the hell is up with infamous

wholikeswood said:
mrstickball said:

perpride - Just a few references since others wanted to throw 'em in there.

I guess on my end, the real comparison would be Infamous vs. other new AAA sandbox IPs like Saints Row, Crackdown and Prototype.

For comparison:

Assassin's Creed: 7.96m

Saints Row: 1.98m
Crackdown: 1.51m
Prototype: 1.41m
Infamous: 0.85m
Godfather 2: 0.83m

Given the trends, Infamous would be in the lower tier of that, between 1.1-1.3m. We can argue comparables, but if Infamous is lower than most other new AAA sandbox titles, what is it?

How good of you to lump together these multiplats into one figure - makes for such a fair table!

Assassin's Creed 360: 4.52m
Assassin's Creed PS3: 3.44m
Prototype 360: 0.85m
inFamous: 0.84m
Prototype PS3: 0.56m
Godfather 2 360: 0.47m
Godfather 2 PS3: 0.36m

Now when I look at that, I see Prototype 360 and inFamous neck-and-neck, with both likely to end up approximately on par with Crackdown. Seems like fairly "mid-tier" sales to me.

I think the reasonable methodology lies somewhere between the two of you.  It may be wrong to lump the two platforms together, but at the same time history has led us to the assumption that on these two consoles exclusives are normally capable of more than multiplatform games (with some exceptions).

That said, I doubt either inFamous or Prototype (360) will reach Crackdown levels.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Gotta admit it did pretty crap but that really doesn't matter, if people deprive them-selves of great exclusives or games in general its there fault, there the ones missing out.

Really though i can see Valkyria Passing it some day.

starcraft said:
wholikeswood said:

How good of you to lump together these multiplats into one figure - makes for such a fair table!

Now when I look at that, I see Prototype 360 and inFamous neck-and-neck, with both likely to end up approximately on par with Crackdown. Seems like fairly "mid-tier" sales to me.

I think the reasonable methodology lies somewhere between the two of you.  It may be wrong to lump the two platforms together, but at the same time history has led us to the assumption that on these two consoles exclusives are normally capable of more than multiplatform games (with some exceptions).

That said, I doubt either inFamous or Prototype (360) will reach Crackdown levels.

I believe it is wrong to parse out titles by platform, when it's the same game. It relies on the false assumption that exclusivity does nothing for the sales of a game. Had InFamous been multi-plat, one can only assume it would of done better, as almost every multi-plat has behaved that way: Lower sales on any given one console, but more overall.

Look at the comparables among exclusive sandbox titles - Crackdown and Saints Row. If you want to argue parsed out sales by platform, then you have to go back to comparables, which would be new, exclusive sandbox IPs. Of which, it skews the comparison further against InFamous. Look at Saints Row 1 and 2 for a valid comparative argument: SR1 was exclusive to the 360, and sold just at 2 million copies. Saints Row 2 was multi-plat, and has sold better, but the X360 version has taken a sizable hit in terms of sales. With such data available, why and how would you argue parsed sales?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
starcraft said:
wholikeswood said:

I believe it is wrong to parse out titles by platform, when it's the same game. It relies on the false assumption that exclusivity does nothing for the sales of a game. Had InFamous been multi-plat, one can only assume it would of done better, as almost every multi-plat has behaved that way: Lower sales on any given one console, but more overall.

Look at the comparables among exclusive sandbox titles - Crackdown and Saints Row. If you want to argue parsed out sales by platform, then you have to go back to comparables, which would be new, exclusive sandbox IPs. Of which, it skews the comparison further against InFamous. Look at Saints Row 1 and 2 for a valid comparative argument: SR1 was exclusive to the 360, and sold just at 2 million copies. Saints Row 2 was multi-plat, and has sold better, but the X360 version has taken a sizable hit in terms of sales. With such data available, why and how would you argue parsed sales?

I would argue parsed sales because, although I don't think either method is perfect, comparing one game to one game (e.g. inFamous to Prototype PS3) seems somewhat fairer since it's not guaranteed that the multiplat will always "take a hit" and even when it does it's not guaranteed to be a "sizeable" one, whereas with one game vs two platforms (e.g. inFamous vs. Prototype combined) then 99 times out of 100 it will always end up in favour of the multiplat. I guess I prefer a fighting chance to a duel that's already decided before they're released.

I'm happy actually, so long as we have both tables there. Just to see the two sides of the coin. Hope that's a compromise.

Right, having both tables is helpful to get a global view of how sandbox IPs are performing per platform. However, I also look at the fact that the exclusives on the list are quite a bit higher than the median on multi-plats. Having it is good, but I don't think that makes it right

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:
Look at these prediction on this link.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=69130&page=1

snyperdud 1.5 to 1.75 mil
makingmusic476 1.5 to 2.5 mil
Bullet100000 1.5 to 2 mil
Euphoria14 1.2 mil
rafichamp 1.3 mil
Magic Monkey 2 mil
Dr.KennethNoisewater 1.5 to 2 mil
Tbone 1.5 mil
Dgc1808 1.2 to 1.8 mil
outlawauron 1.6 mil
BHR-3 2.8 mil
Max King of the Wild 1.25 mil
Lostplanet22 1 mil
chris1_16 2 mil
Vagabund 1.3 mil
kowenicki 1 to 1.3 mil
Gearbox 1.7 mil
Carl2291 2 mil
Snake612 1 mil
Thechalkblock 1.2 mil
Kantor 2 mil
madman25 850k
dddddddddd123 2 mil
perpride 2 mil
NoCtiS_NoX 2.5 mil
txrattlesnake 1 mil
SnakeEyez 1 mil
tedsteriscool 1.5 mil
infamous8 2.5 mil
Zlejedi 2 mil
VivaLaWiida 1.2 mil
nen-suer 3 mil
Lafiel 1 mil
vitoaf27 1.7 mil
Adobo 2 to 2.5 mil
PS3beats360 3 mil
GameAnalyser 2 mil
cleaner475 1.5 to 1.75 mil
Squilliam 1.85 mil
Thechalkblock 750k to 1 mil
jonop 2 mil
forevercloud3000 1.5 to 2.1 mil

Too lazy to do the average but I think its alot more then the 1.3 average someone claim earlier.

"Let's make infamous sales predictions" "Predict lifetime sales of ps3 excluives" and "Predict infamous first week sales" are where I got my numbers from... and yes they are only 1.3... don't be a silly rtoll/.

I'm too drunk for this now... I'll respond to people later to day... It's 1pm here ands i woke drunk... damn...

Geez, nitpicking central.

fuck responding to people... they are just trolls being ridiculous and people already told them how it is. (and no surprise they are still thick headed and think they are right... and no surprise its the 360 fans)

InFamous will easily make it to atleast 1.2 million.

1.8 mill LTD