By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In defense of IGN.

starcraft said:

I couldn't ...

Edit:  The thread is question can be found here.

To be blunt once I realised that your probably in your teens at least the impression I get. I understood where you are coming from. I'm going to respect your opinion and definition of why IGN chose it's choice. Now that's your perspective. My perspective however is different. I am 33 years old and gaming in the arcade before during the original Atari days. Yes I was that young. I owned machines like Intellivision, Gemini, Atari and regularly played on the Coleco and Vectrix. I have been electronic gaming for a loooong time. The idea of hitting "needing" the pinacle of classic experince gamplay ended with the N64. While I owned PS1, GC, PS2 I really don't play them a whole lot. For me I have been there done that. I am also a heavy PC Gamer I have my online and it's better than the restrictive Live setup. To be honest the idea of the end pinaccle bores me. It's not to say I won't enjoy games on the newer systems, but my interest of what's important doesn't put 360 at the top. I'm burnt out of classic gaming. I want more oppertunity of control and conrol immersion. I'm tired of repatitive button tap combos(yes Wii suffers from these too). I'm tired of endless mobs of combat. I like to lean back relax and enjoy or have fun. No more psuedo art from most designers who's art is no more than a saturday morning cartoon.

Nintendo has learned something. It's called communication. While they are still working at it. IGN is still falling into the sinkhole of ignorance. Instead just a few words in a title and direction here and there and that would be enough. How about "The Eilite Gamers Top 25 Consoles". As George Carlin says Language is power. If you control the language you have the power. Just don't expect anyone to learn a new language.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
jonnhytesta said:
CrazyHorse said:

I don't think too many people are upset that IGN placed the 360 above the PS3 but more that it was ranked higher than the PS1. Personally I would rank the PS3 higher than the 360 as I prefer the games it offers (hence why I own a PS3 and not a 360) but I accept that many others disagree and I really can't complain that IGN went with that school of thought. Ranking the 360 above the PS1 though seems a little strange, maybe in 5 years when the 360 has a larger games library but at the minute I don't think it even comes close to the PS1. All that said, these lists are nothing more than a way to generate traffic as they are completely subjective and no one is going to completely agree with it.

i agree.

ps1=best rpg library ever

360=worst rpg library ever.

You don't own an Xbox 360 do you?

It has easily (and I do mean easily) the best RPG library since the PS2.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
jonnhytesta said:
CrazyHorse said:

I don't think too many people are upset that IGN placed the 360 above the PS3 but more that it was ranked higher than the PS1. Personally I would rank the PS3 higher than the 360 as I prefer the games it offers (hence why I own a PS3 and not a 360) but I accept that many others disagree and I really can't complain that IGN went with that school of thought. Ranking the 360 above the PS1 though seems a little strange, maybe in 5 years when the 360 has a larger games library but at the minute I don't think it even comes close to the PS1. All that said, these lists are nothing more than a way to generate traffic as they are completely subjective and no one is going to completely agree with it.

i agree.

If we are talking about home consoles, that's not much of an achievement, it only had to beat the Xbox and GameCube. If we include handhelds, it's inaccurate, because the DS launched before the 360. As did the PSP.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

starcraft said:
jonnhytesta said:
CrazyHorse said:

i agree.

blasphemy! ps1 rpg library>>>ps2 as well. The 360 has no right to be ahead of ps1. I guess u said "since the ps2"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

i agreed with thier list completely

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
Kantor said:
starcraft said:
jonnhytesta said:
CrazyHorse said:

i agree.

If we are talking about home consoles, that's not much of an achievement, it only had to beat the Xbox and GameCube. If we include handhelds, it's inaccurate, because the DS launched before the 360. As did the PSP.

It is also better than the Wii's library and the PS3's...

I am not for a moment discrediting the PS1 and PS2's libraries of RPG's, but I will point out that unless you haven't been interested in playing any newly released RPG's but Persona for the last four years, the Xbox 360 has been your place to be.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Stricly for gaming, the 360 has a larger breadth of AA and AAA content than the PS1, yes, but it doesn't have the nostalgia factor, nor does it have FFVII.

In fact, XBLA alone probably has a competitive library to the PS1(don't you dare quote me out of context, you basterds, read on), if you didn't count the Squaresoft or Konami games. Lucky for us, we count them.

That said, yes, the PS1 is a better console than the 360. It invented many new genres, and introduced the compact disc to gaming. It was also a better built console, despite having design issues of its on, and I rank it as one of the best home consoles of all time.

Plus, the 360 has BC, and the PS1 has nothing to be BC with.

My list:

1. SNES
2. PS2
3. Nintendo DS
4. PS1
5. Xbox 360
6. PS3
7. N64
8. Gamecube
9. NES
10. Wii

Notice how consoles with BC have an edge?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kantor said:
Dinomax said:
God who cares what they think, the whole point of there site is to get views, would they get anything if they just gave you all the things you wanted too see?

No there going to make dumb articles and countdowns which you all will click on multiple times and link to on forums then argue over all this time while IGN sit back and laugh at you because you bought it hook line and sinker.

I know, and I expect that crap from Destructoid, IGN AU, GameDaily, people like that. But IGN is above this, seriously. They don't need controversy hits from shitty articles.

And if we're going to believe IGN, I suppose MGS Rising is 360 exclusive, Resistance 2 is better than Killzone 2, and GTA4 is perfect.

But IGN have being doing this for YEARS.

They were never above anyone they were exactly on the same level, which is why they hired jessica chobot to lick PSP's, rub gears of war all over her ass for a contest then have her go off ""I'M A GAMER GIRL!""

Or Matt Cassa whatever his last name is, """Sure Halo Ds exists, just give me two years later to actually prove I was right....then I'll  hired a bunch of programmers to remodel goldeneye DS to look like Halo SEE I WASNT LIEING!""

Or ""Kid Icarus will be shown....if it isnt then thats Nintendo's fault, not me for saying it will be there.""

Or ""LOL WE ACTUALLY SPENT MONEY TO MAKE A FAKE APRIL FOOLS ZELDA!""

Or ""GTA 4 is oscar worthy story.....yet a game based on a oscar winning film wont get this mention...""

IGN, like most other game sites ARE shit.  There not journalists (non of them have even a writers degree)  there just advertisement disguised as game reviewers.  You want non baised game news or reviews, just listen to yourself.

pastro243 said:
slowmo said:
pastro243 said:
There is a lot of fail in this thread.
Anyway, why should we pay attention to what IGN says when after all everyone has their own list?

There is a lot of fail in this post.

How about you use your debating skills rather than insulting other users input on a subject snidely.

Debate on what? subjective views on consoles? The fail in this thread comes from trying to fight because of a subjective list made by IGN, fail from the beggining, we all know debating about this leads to nowhere.

There is plenty to debate about the list, unfortunately people seem to have agendas to cause arguments over the subject because it's an easy target.  If you had written your viewpoint originally as you replied to me just now I wouldn't have mentioned anything as your opinion that the subject is nothing but argumentative material is far more constructive that lazily typing fail messages.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Stricly for gaming, the 360 has a larger breadth of AA and AAA content than the PS1, yes, but it doesn't have the nostalgia factor, nor does it have FFVII.

In fact, XBLA alone probably has a competitive library to the PS1(don't you dare quote me out of context, you basterds, read on), if you didn't count the Squaresoft or Konami games. Lucky for us, we count them.

That said, yes, the PS1 is a better console than the 360. It invented many new genres, and introduced the compact disc to gaming. It was also a better built console, despite having design issues of its on, and I rank it as one of the best home consoles of all time.

Plus, the 360 has BC, and the PS1 has nothing to be BC with.

My list:

1. SNES
2. PS2
3. Nintendo DS
4. PS1
5. Xbox 360
6. PS3
7. N64
8. Gamecube
9. NES
10. Wii

Notice how consoles with BC have an edge?

N64 below the PS3 when it had Mario 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda Ocarina Of Time, etc, etc??? 

Ever heard of the Mega CD Zen? 

This is why lists are such good fun when taken in the right context as bein light hearted as everyone weighs the postitives and negatives differently.  The DS definately deserves a huge mention though as when I bought my DS at launch people laughed at me for getting such a underpowered console compared to the PSP, goes to show though what a great games catalogue can do for a console.  One question though Zen, why is the Gamecube ahead of the Wii in your list?