By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega talk more about Conduit/MadWorld + Wii plans

Nobody can prove whether the Conduit was or wasn't profitable because they either don't have or aren't privy to the specific information regarding that particular project.

Of course the same could be said for most HD games in all but the most extreme cases when sales were significantly below the initial production run (ie. Bionic Commando).

Mostly it boils down to preferential, biased guesstimations used in support of which console they own/like best, presented in a pseudo objective way.

It's trickier to gauge costs with the Conduit, because much of the R&D that went into that game (the engine) will be used in future projects by HVS, meaning subsequent titles should cost less to develop (see Gears of War 2).

The only "failure" would be if Sega dropped HVS, indicating a clear underperformance. Since that hasn't happened and we will presumably be seeing more titles on the Wii by HVS, that should be considered enough of a success for HVS and Sega, just not for the Wii fans who tried to convince other gamers how much of a field changer the Conduit would be for the Wii.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:

Barozi said:

Sales and common sense

Common sense says the guy that knows the budget, revenue, and over-all profit of the game is a better source of information than you. You could argue against it, but it would really just make you look like a troll.

Exactly. That's why I won't do it because I know I'm right and I don't have to proof anything to anyone of you.

Xxain said:
Wii_Master said:
Before = Sega vs Nintendo

Now = Sega = Support Nintendo

The gaming industry has changed...I wished Sony never released a PS then probably MS wouldn't have come in and so Sega would have stayed....

*eyeroll* *facepalm*

Yes my plan has worked lol I knew someone would quote my post and say facepalm thats why i wrote it like that....lol it so easy to predict what people will say when you post something..watch as soon as i ost this i am going to get attacked...

GTA Sucks. Halo Sucks. LBP Sucks. Metal Gear Solid Sucks. Legend of Zelda Sucks. (jk)

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
║║║║║║║ WOULD LIKE TO PLAY!!
╚══╝╚╩╝         

greenmedic88 said:
Nobody can prove whether the Conduit was or wasn't profitable because they either don't have or aren't privy to the specific information regarding that particular project.

Of course the same could be said for most HD games in all but the most extreme cases when sales were significantly below the initial production run (ie. Bionic Commando).

Mostly it boils down to preferential, biased guesstimations used in support of which console they own/like best, presented in a pseudo objective way.

It's trickier to gauge costs with the Conduit, because much of the R&D that went into that game (the engine) will be used in future projects by HVS, meaning subsequent titles should cost less to develop (see Gears of War 2).

The only "failure" would be if Sega dropped HVS, indicating a clear underperformance. Since that hasn't happened and we will presumably be seeing more titles on the Wii by HVS, that should be considered enough of a success for HVS and Sega, just not for the Wii fans who tried to convince other gamers how much of a field changer the Conduit would be for the Wii.

My best guess would be it has made Sega money, but HVS is still uncertain. They certainly seem to be making enough games for the system, but that could just be how they want to roll. Or they could not have the budget to fund a game for the PS360. Its a bit of a fuzzy picture.

I would find it hard to believe Sega isn't making cash on this one though. HVS funded the vast majority of the development. They had an idea for a game they wanted to make, so they likely traded funding for creative control and ownership of the IP. If a publisher let a company keep an IP then there is obviously some kind of weird deal involved that saves the publisher a lot of cash. Publishers like owning IPs. Even the bad ones. So covering publishing costs, and probably some minor funding would be pretty easy. That is an assumption of course, but its based on HVS seeming to be extremely protective of their game, and willing to spend their own cash to not compromise their vision of the final product.

@Barozi
Whatever makes you happy.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:

@Barozi

Oh yes it does

Around the Network

What makes you Happy? Bazori? Is it the so called fact of yours that Conduit isn't profitable......

I think Conduit is profitable cause its simple...They said Mad World wasn't a Sucess while Conduit was which mean Conduit was and Mad World wasn't easy...

Also Thanks Sega...

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
╚══╝╚╩╝         

How come I havn't been attacked yet???

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
╚══╝╚╩╝         

Wii_Master said:
Xxain said:
Wii_Master said:
Before = Sega vs Nintendo

Now = Sega = Support Nintendo

The gaming industry has changed...I wished Sony never released a PS then probably MS wouldn't have come in and so Sega would have stayed....

*eyeroll* *facepalm*

Yes my plan has worked lol I knew someone would quote my post and say facepalm thats why i wrote it like that....lol it so easy to predict what people will say when you post something..watch as soon as i ost this i am going to get attacked...

GTA Sucks. Halo Sucks. LBP Sucks. Metal Gear Solid Sucks. Legend of Zelda Sucks. (jk)

*Eyeroll* *facepalm*

Wii_Master said:
How come I havn't been attacked yet???

your not worth it...thats why

Gnizmo said:
greenmedic88 said:

My best guess would be it has made Sega money, but HVS is still uncertain. They certainly seem to be making enough games for the system, but that could just be how they want to roll. Or they could not have the budget to fund a game for the PS360. Its a bit of a fuzzy picture.

I would find it hard to believe Sega isn't making cash on this one though. HVS funded the vast majority of the development. They had an idea for a game they wanted to make, so they likely traded funding for creative control and ownership of the IP. If a publisher let a company keep an IP then there is obviously some kind of weird deal involved that saves the publisher a lot of cash. Publishers like owning IPs. Even the bad ones. So covering publishing costs, and probably some minor funding would be pretty easy. That is an assumption of course, but its based on HVS seeming to be extremely protective of their game, and willing to spend their own cash to not compromise their vision of the final product.

@Barozi

I'm pretty certain that HVS is fully invested in the Wii platform now. Even if they wanted to move to another platform, it would be a token effort at best.

I think HVS is well aware of this, and would just as soon not compete with the Halos, the Modern Warfares, the Gears of War, the Uncharteds, etc.

Seeing as how all Sega did was pick up the publishing rights (along with marketing, distro, etc.), unless they gave HVS an incredible deal on revenue percentages, I have a hard time seeing them not coming out in the black on the Conduit.

It was good for Sega to get the chance to pick up a new IP with some solid Wii R&D as well as lock down any potential future new hit IPs, even if there is an element of risk involved (as with everything) with a relative unknown.

HVS has struck me as a relatively small fish in the development world, aspiring to be a big fish in the larger pool of the Wii user base that is free of any of the serious competition they would be up against had they developed for the Xbox or PS3.