By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Whore Showdown Round 4: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune vs Gears of War

ithis said:
Uncharted, because every human or alien grunt looks and moves the same in Gears. I didn't play it, but that's what strikes me in OP movie. Although I think it's more epic looking than Uncharted, and I like epic.

Epic had to make the MP balanced...so control the same....During Campaign..they do not...

Around the Network
Zizzla_Rachet said:
inverted3reality said:
Nah, gears 2 is unreal engine. Suffers from really bad pop in, poor texture quality, the "plastic" effect, and the narrow hallway effect. Though it does appear to look more dramatic due to smoke and mirrors, the engine is no where near as good technology wise. Uncharted is known as Texturezilla for a reason.

Funny how I feel the same way about Uncharted...

What is Narrow HallWay?

Smoke and Mirrors?...Now your just being rediculous....

Unreal Engine...For me has it's up's and down....For the game industry it has been a huge win....Sadly...PS3 has yet to see good game with UE 3.5

Batman AA has EU 3 (.5?) but a malestorm of other Middleware..which was for the best...I think Bink or ScaleForm eliminated the texture Pops of UE and I hope Epic was watching....

Some things in that game have very good textures...to an extent I agree....But Disagree which games looks better over all...

I'm pretty sure Batman AA was running on UE 3.5...although, I didn't find the graphics too impressive in that game (the gameplay was a thing of beauty though)!

stewroids said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
inverted3reality said:
Nah, gears 2 is unreal engine. Suffers from really bad pop in, poor texture quality, the "plastic" effect, and the narrow hallway effect. Though it does appear to look more dramatic due to smoke and mirrors, the engine is no where near as good technology wise. Uncharted is known as Texturezilla for a reason.

Funny how I feel the same way about Uncharted...

What is Narrow HallWay?

Smoke and Mirrors?...Now your just being rediculous....

Unreal Engine...For me has it's up's and down....For the game industry it has been a huge win....Sadly...PS3 has yet to see good game with UE 3.5

Batman AA has EU 3 (.5?) but a malestorm of other Middleware..which was for the best...I think Bink or ScaleForm eliminated the texture Pops of UE and I hope Epic was watching....

Some things in that game have very good textures...to an extent I agree....But Disagree which games looks better over all...

I'm pretty sure Batman AA was running on UE 3.5...although, I didn't find the graphics too impressive in that game (the gameplay was a thing of beauty though)!

I was not sure...and still am not...but it most likely is...I noticed no pop in the demo...which is think Bink or sacerom are responsible...Uncharted is a good looking game..and were compared Among thives...you would practically gape while watching...I still give Gears as which looks better based polygon count alone...

Uncharted, without a shadow of a doubt.

Uncharted.

Around the Network

....=.= uncharted of course.

Uncharted

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

uncharted

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Zizzla_Rachet said:

but I also must take away from Uncharted for Polygon count per second...Gears of War is pushing way more polygons than Drake's Fourtune is..

Actually, Uncharted's characters have more polygons that Gears's.

Gears of War, Xbox 360, 2006
Wretch - 10,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Boomer - 11,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Marcus - 15,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, PS3, 2007
Main characters - ~20,000-30,000 polygons
Drake - ~30,000 polygons
Pirates - ~12,000-15,000 polygons

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

Uncharted.

Gears looks amazing, but in the end, despite how far Epic pushed it (which was pretty far) Uncharted's engine, tuned and designed for a single platform vs multi-platform, just delivers a little more in every area graphically IMHO - better character models, better animations, environments, etc.

But it's close, which is a testament to Epic with an open, multi-platform engine (albeit one they know inside out as its developers) vs a totally console specific engine that is known inside out by its developers.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...