By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS owners, should I buy a DS?

I´m thinking about buying a Nintendo DS. I´m a huge Nintendofan but I´ve always loved playing games on the big screen. I bought a Game Boy Advance a few years back and I was really annoyed and disappointed with the lightning of the portables screen. It seemed to me that it was near impossible to get a lightning that was optimal for playing games so I sold it quickly.

DS owners, I wanted to ask you for your advice. Do you feel the light on the screen is optimal for playing games or is it a issue? How does the lightning compare to the one on Game Boy Advance if you had one?

Finally should I go with a DS or a DSi if I decide to buy one? I know the DSi has a bigger screen and more power, I just don´t know if I feel the extra money is worth it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just bought a white DSi yesterday with a Mario Kart DS to go along with it. Wonderful game, wonderful console!

Around the Network

YES!

I find that the lighting only becomes an issue in direct sunlight - but the same can be said of PC or TV screens. Also personally I'm a fan of the DSL due to the ability to play the fantastic library of Advance games.

Yes I have also thought about the fact that DS plays all Game Boy Advance games. There are quite a few there that I would like to play. But I don´t know if it´s just me that experienced bad lightning with the GBA. I remember that it was to light to play outside in sunshine (of course) but that I felt that the lightning was bad indoors as well. I hope that the DS is better. I do think I will have to get a DS though. I have thought about it for ages and there are just too many great games to be missed.

Indoors the screens are just fine with the DSL. Seems it's decided for you since you want to play the GBA library as well, by all means pick the Lite then.

Direct sunlight kills any screen dead.

You can adjust the brightness. The brighter, the better you can see in the light.
But that will also kill the battery fast.

There's no reason you should be playing your DS under the sun anyways, you should be playing volleyball and taking a dip in the cold water that doesn't have dead fish floating about.

Around the Network

You should definitely get a DS it's a great system. Just do me a favour and think twice about getting a DS Lite. GBA games are cool and I also miss the feature since I got my DSi but DSiWare really has a lot of great games to offer already and you may be interested in one of the future DSi-only titles.

There are pros and cons for both systems but we don't know about the DSi only games yet and you may want to wait for the first bunch of DSi titles to be announced before you get your DS Lite. Also check out DSi Ware games like Mario vs Donkey Kong, Flipnote Studio and Dr. Mario. There's more than just the bigger screens to the DSi but most people forget about that.

What a question, go buy Da Dsi !!!
If the system has been sold 109 millions, it means a lot of things.

Louie said:
You should definitely get a DS it's a great system. Just do me a favour and think twice about getting a DS Lite. GBA games are cool and I also miss the feature since I got my DSi but DSiWare really has a lot of great games to offer already and you may be interested in one of the future DSi-only titles.

There are pros and cons for both systems but we don't know about the DSi only games yet and you may want to wait for the first bunch of DSi titles to be announced before you get your DS Lite. Also check out DSi Ware games like Mario vs Donkey Kong, Flipnote Studio and Dr. Mario. There's more than just the bigger screens to the DSi but most people forget about that.

Thanks for your advice. Yes I think I´m almost decided about getting a DS. Question is will it be DS or DSi? You made a good case for DSi. I guess I just will wait a bit more till I´ll make my choise. I don´t have the money just now anyway with school starting and all. Literature is not cheap

Galaki said:
Direct sunlight kills any screen dead.

You can adjust the brightness. The brighter, the better you can see in the light.
But that will also kill the battery fast.

There's no reason you should be playing your DS under the sun anyways, you should be playing volleyball and taking a dip in the cold water that doesn't have dead fish floating about.

Good to know, thanks. It´s nice that the lightning is adjustable. I don´t remember that this feature was the case with GBA, that could have solved my problems then.

ZuZayLi said:
What a question, go buy Da Dsi !!!
If the system has been sold 109 millions, it means a lot of things.

Yes I´m sure. I´m just late to the party ha ha.