By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Holiday Grudge Match Uncharted 2 vs Left For Dead 2 Who Will Sell More!?

tombi123 said:
Seece said:

tombi123 said:
Remember Uncharted released when the PS3's install base was about 7.5M.

This doesn't matter, people continued to pick up Uncharted all the way up to its userbase of 23+ million today.
Releasing on a smaller install base effects sales, especially sub 10M install bases.

Not really, like I said people have still been buying Uncharted since its debut.

I am going to say Uncharted 2. Reasons:

1/ It looks better than the first and has online multiplayer.
Uncharted was already a quality game anyway, being a little bit better isn't going to get someone to buy U2 that wouldn't have bought U1 ...   

The online multiplayer will turn all those rentals into sales. Plus, U2 is garenteed a meta score of 90+%. 

Guarenteed? No ... Nothing is Guarenteed and it got a lower score than L4D, do I think L4D will do any better because it'll (likely) score better than the first ... no, like I said Uncharted was quality in the first place. It's not like Killzone 1 > Killzone 2.          

2/ much more hyped than the first.
Hype does not translate into sales. Mass marketing does, hype doesn't ...

It does have an effect though. I dont just mean on internet forums, I mean in stores as well (it will also have a bigger advertisement campaign).

I still don't believe hype (except for the big BIG games) does anything, just take LBP and K2 for example. the whole but they were new Ips doesn't cut it.

3/ Left4Dead only released last year.
.. so?

will people want another one so soon?

True enough, we shall have to wait and see!

4/ I feel the hype is lower for L4D2 than the original.
Per orders are already ahead of what L4D's were

well der... how many people pre order a new IP? You should also realise that the pre orders in NA (L4D's strongest market, Uncharted's second strongest) are higher for Uncharted 2 than for L4D.

Uncharted is out in around 6 weeks and it's pre orders are at 59k, L4D is out in 10 weeks, and its at 58K. As the release dates get closer more people will pre order in anticipation and awareness for the game. So lets say they both get another 10k added onto pre orders up until their releases (they're progresing at the same rate but obviously as release dates get closer they'll get larger) when Uncharted Hits stores, L4D will still have another 4 weeks to garner Pre orders.

So those numbers don't really matter.

5/ L4D will have stiff competition from Halo and (Infinity Ward) CoD.
Like last year when it was up against COD (which still did 5 mill+ on 360 alone, and Gears 2)

yeah but this call of duty will be bigger, and Halo is bigger than Gears, which isn't an FPS...

gears was out the same day (I think) as L4D, Halo launchs 2 months earlier. WaW was tracking ahead of COD4 all last year.

Lifetime:

Uncharted 2 - 3.5M
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2M

Around the Network

I say Left Four Dead 2.

What a lot of people have already have said Uncharted was released a year before and was heavily bundled.

There are some things against L4d as well. Like some people have said it is going up against Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3: ODST.

I really do not see it releasing a year after it's predecessor to be that bad. Look at games like CoD and Madden. They have yearly releases, yet do great numbers yearly.

L4D2 will sell more. L4D wasn't bundled either people.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Seece said:
tombi123 said:
Seece said:

tombi123 said:

This doesn't matter, people continued to pick up Uncharted all the way up to its userbase of 23+ million today.
Releasing on a smaller install base effects sales, especially sub 10M install bases.

Not really, like I said people have still been buying Uncharted since its debut.
Yes really. The effect wares off as the user base gets bigger. Its the (main) reason why MGS2 outsold MGS4.

Uncharted was already a quality game anyway, being a little bit better isn't going to get someone to buy U2 that wouldn't have bought U1 ...   

The online multiplayer will turn all those rentals into sales. Plus, U2 is garenteed a meta score of 90+%. 

Guarenteed? No ... Nothing is Guarenteed and it got a lower score than L4D, do I think L4D will do any better because it'll (likely) score better than the first ... no, like I said Uncharted was quality in the first place. It's not like Killzone 1 > Killzone 2.          

After all the awards U2 won at E3, I would say that it is 99% certain that U2 will get a 90+% meta score. L4D will get reviewed harshly if it feels like an expansion pack. I cant see it getting 90+%. You haven't commented on the U2 multiplayer...

It does have an effect though. I dont just mean on internet forums, I mean in stores as well (it will also have a bigger advertisement campaign).

I still don't believe hype (except for the big BIG games) does anything, just take LBP and K2 for example. the whole but they were new Ips doesn't cut it.

.. so?

well der... how many people pre order a new IP? You should also realise that the pre orders in NA (L4D's strongest market, Uncharted's second strongest) are higher for Uncharted 2 than for L4D.

Uncharted is out in around 6 weeks and it's pre orders are at 59k, L4D is out in 10 weeks, and its at 58K. As the release dates get closer more people will pre order in anticipation and awareness for the game. So lets say they both get another 10k added onto pre orders up until their releases (they're progresing at the same rate but obviously as release dates get closer they'll get larger) when Uncharted Hits stores, L4D will still have another 4 weeks to garner Pre orders.

Well L4D almost doubled Uncharted's sales in NA. You would hope the pre orders reflect that. Also L4D only sold 400K in Europe, where as Uncharted sold 1.45M.

Like last year when it was up against COD (which still did 5 mill+ on 360 alone, and Gears 2)

yeah but this call of duty will be bigger, and Halo is bigger than Gears, which isn't an FPS...

gears was out the same day (I think) as L4D, Halo launchs 2 months earlier. WaW was tracking ahead of COD4 all last year.

WaW was tracking ahead of CoD4 because CoD3 was rubbish. CoD4 had massive legs which meant WaW had a massive launch. MW2's launch is going to be a lot bigger than WaW's.

Lifetime:

Uncharted 2 - 3.5M
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2M

tombi123 said:
Seece said:
tombi123 said:
Seece said:

tombi123 said:

Yes really. The effect wares off as the user base gets bigger. Its the (main) reason why MGS2 outsold MGS4.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

After all the awards U2 won at E3, I would say that it is 99% certain that U2 will get a 90+% meta score. L4D will get reviewed harshly if it feels like an expansion pack. I cant see it getting 90+%. You haven't commented on the U2 multiplayer...
Yes it will most likely hit 90%, if you do your reasearch on L4D2 then you wouldn't be saying it might feels like an expansion pack, it's correcting everything it did wrong the first time around, and contry to what peopel believe this would have been to big for DLC.

.. so?

Well L4D almost doubled Uncharted's sales in NA. You would hope the pre orders reflect that. Also L4D only sold 400K in Europe, where as Uncharted sold 1.45M.
And they will in time, Europe is L4Ds weak point, NA will be much stronger though.

WaW was tracking ahead of CoD4 because CoD3 was rubbish. CoD4 had massive legs which meant WaW had a massive launch. MW2's launch is going to be a lot bigger than WaW's.
no idea what COD3 has got to do with 4 but whatever, COD5 will get a massive launch, but like I said before, it'll have great legs just like the first.

Lifetime:

Uncharted 2 - 3.5M
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2M

Around the Network

Enough with these damn colors, so annoying.

Anyway, Left4dead will destroy Uncharted in NA and Uncharted will win everywhere else.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

ps3 sales vs xbox 360 sales, I think uncharted 2 will win. Not sure what would happen if you included pc sales as well.

Either way...I'm kinda pumped for L4D2, and can't wait for uncharted 2.

psrock said:
Enough with these damn colors, so annoying.
No it's pretty

Anyway, Left4dead will destroy Uncharted in NA and Uncharted will win everywhere else.
I also think L4D will reign supreme in NA and U2 will dominate Others

If you are including PC sales L4D easily.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

I have run out of colours. But yeah, we will have to agree to disagree. Next time you quote me, write your responce the normal way :P The colours are difficult to read.