By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog Says Uncharted 2 "Impossible" On The Xbox 360

CGI-Quality said:
ymeaga1n said:
CGI-Quality said:
krimoz911 said:
The usual PR statements, nothing we haven't heard before

It isn't exactly "PR talk" though. The code is specific to the PS3, with lack of load times, several other areas specified to the SPUs and such. Although it'll start flame wars, they are probably right, the way the game is currently built couldn't be replicated on another system. The game could be on the 360 I'm sure, it just wouldn't be the game they have on the PS3. This shouldn't upset anyone though, it's just how each system is designed. Contrary to what some believe, the PS3 and 360 ARE NOT exactly the same.

Still, I think a thread like this shouln't exist, nothing but wars will happen here.

Exactly...in that sense is it just PR. Obviously it can't be made on x360, because like you said the code is specific to ps3 and sony owns the engine, so why mention it for any other reason except PR?

I mean, that could be it bro. I just hate that these things exist, it really doesn't do anything for anyone. It just ends up be bragging rights for one side and bitterness from the other. This isn't what gamers should be celebrating IMO, just be happy that we can play all of these awesome games no matter what system they're on.

See what I'm saying...

I see what you're saying. I don't discriminate against games because they are on other systems. I'm a Sony fan, and I thought Uncharted was decent, 3.75/5, not amazing.

But I'm guessing it's because that's what exclusives are for. Something the system offers that the others can't.

can't wait for Track Season 2009/2010, guna beast out!

Travis Touchdown ERECTION CONFIRMED!

Around the Network

"
Again, quite the assertion. Yet as impressive as both of these details are, they seem to beg the rather obvious question: Does this game represent the pinnacle of the PS3’s potential? While Balestra's trumpeting of the PS3's power and his game's use of that power is understandable and clearly evidenced, it also sounds like he is saying that his developers have pushed the PS3 to its absolute limits, which I sincerely hope isn’t the case considering we’re only three years into the PS3’s "10-year life cycle."

I mean, sure, Uncharted 2 has ridiculous amounts of potential, and I can’t to get my hands on it, but if it's maxing out the PS3 in the ways Balestra says it is, then where does Naughty Dog go from here? Where do other developers go from here, for that matter? I guess the hope would be that developers will be able to find more efficient ways to use 100 percent of the PS3's various components, which sounds a bit strange considering Sony has long since touted the PS3 as having virtually limitless potential."

i could care less about the system vs system talk but this is the part that caught me

why would Sony let him spout that off b/c now if the game is not a great seller then its a bit hit, and they leave themselves nothing left

why not say the first time we made the game it was 30% now i cant put my finger on it but i can say the percent we hit now is leaps and bounds above that

It's not like they tried, guys! Christopher Balestra tried putting the finished disc in his 360, and the 360 wouldn't even recognise the disc!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

mesoteto said:
"
Again, quite the assertion. Yet as impressive as both of these details are, they seem to beg the rather obvious question: Does this game represent the pinnacle of the PS3’s potential? While Balestra's trumpeting of the PS3's power and his game's use of that power is understandable and clearly evidenced, it also sounds like he is saying that his developers have pushed the PS3 to its absolute limits, which I sincerely hope isn’t the case considering we’re only three years into the PS3’s "10-year life cycle."

You've just made a mental leap here that I don't believe was implied.  The rest of your post is kind of void because of this.

Rather disapointed with ND here. The game looks great, they are clearly very talented developers, but there's no point to these kinds of comments.

Sony should look to the price, features of its HW plus its advertising rather than push 1st/2nd party developers to keep going on about 'only possible on PS3'.

I'm sure they filled the disk, they may even be using most of the available memory, etc. but there's no need to bring in 360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
dbot said:
CGI-Quality said:

I think you are playing with fire CGI.  The implication of the article is that the 360 is not technically powerful enough to run a game like Uncharted, not that the code is specific to the PS3.  

Anyway, this thread has been done a million times and it always ends the same.  Please someone take pity on us PS3 owners and close this thread.

I honestly don't mean to. I was trying to explain it in the least biased way I could. I don't personally believe that the 360 is as weak as some of these guys like to implicate. However, I can see where the issue of code can come into play, if the game is designed specifically for one set of specs, to do on another system would take some re-working. Hell, PS3 ports are COMPLETE examples of such scenarios.

Nevertheless, I wish these kind of statements didn't become headline news, they're asking for trouble.

I agree with what you are saying, but there really is no justification for ND's statements.  They have a potentially great game, they shouldn't focus on what systems it can't run on.  These statements will only upset non-PS3 owners and make our lives difficult on these forums.  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

well at least if not possible I got to say that PS3 exclusives look better than 360 exclusives, thanks to blu-ray. :P

F.U. Fun University.

Words Of Wisdom said:
mesoteto said:
"

You've just made a mental leap here that I don't believe was implied.  The rest of your post is kind of void because of this.

(wow i was quoting from the OP)

and i think he was making the connections from this

"Balestra goes on to say that the first game only used about 30 percent of the PS3’s SPU [Synergistic Processing Units] power, whereas the new game uses 100 percent. As a result, Balestra says, "The quality of the depth of field we have, you can't do that on the Xbox.""

I don't think there's gonna be a game that looks better on 360 than KZ2 , heavy rain , MGS4 or uncharted 2.

F.U. Fun University.

mesoteto said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
mesoteto said:
"

(wow i was quoting from the OP)

and i think he was making the connections from this

"Balestra goes on to say that the first game only used about 30 percent of the PS3’s SPU [Synergistic Processing Units] power, whereas the new game uses 100 percent. As a result, Balestra says, "The quality of the depth of field we have, you can't do that on the Xbox.""

Doh, I totally missed the quotes.  Sorry.