By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does the XBox 360 online service have a monthly fee?

Because they can, and people do pay.

On the PC Live failed because no wanted to pay when they could get another service similar if not better than live and it was free to join and play.

Around the Network

Because they want more money.

4 ≈ One

i'm glad sony doesnt ask money, i play my online games on the ps3. and i do have my xbox360 for the exclusive singleplayer games. (i'm not into shooters)

ivo said:
i'm glad sony doesnt ask money, i play my online games on the ps3. and i do have my xbox360 for the exclusive singleplayer games. (i'm not into shooters)

Ressistance

Ressitance 2

Socom

KillZone 2

Uncharted 1

Uncharted 2

MAG

Quantum

And I think they are a few more I don't remember...

I'm not into shooters ethier...otherwise I would have to get a PS3 NOW!

Wait....What?

Actually what is amazing is that Microsoft can enforce the use of a paying service for its users without getting into any legal problems.

Imagine if tomorrow suddenly to connect to internet with your PC running windows you had to go through Microsoft servers and had to pay for it...
There would be a billion lawsuit sitting at Microsoft's door...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Zizzla_Rachet said:
ivo said:

Ressistance

Ressitance 2

Socom

KillZone 2

Uncharted 1

Uncharted 2

MAG

Quantum

And I think they are a few more I don't remember...

I'm not into shooters ethier...otherwise I would have to get a PS3 NOW!

Wait....What?

I think all he's saying is that he plays most multi-player games, exclusive or not, on the PS3 because the online service is free. He buys X-Box exclusives, like Fable II, on the 360 because he wouldn't be able to play them anywhere else.

And to be perfectly fair, Uncharted may have aspects of a shooter but they definitely play more like an action-adventure game than anything else.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
Because they can, and people do pay.

On the PC Live failed because no wanted to pay when they could get another service similar if not better than live and it was free to join and play.

PC is an open plateform, XBOX isn't so that is normal that Live failed for the PC world.

Nothing is free ! Cost associated to online services and development are always taken back from another source of revenues.

Note: XBL Gold access is the price of a beer a month... it is cheap...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Netflix, Last.fm
also, bandwidth isn't free, Microsoft charges the users while Sony charges developers/content providers for data transfers on PSN.

NightDragon83 said:

Funny thing about M$ charging for XBL is that Sony wishes they could do that with PSN because that'll help stem their losses from the PS3 hardware, but the fanboys would throw a shit fit if Sony charged a premium for online gaming.

Remember, basic XBL is free, including having access to tons of Arcade games, videos, and DLC that PSN either doesn't have, or you have to wait longer for it.  And I always LOL at the Sony fanboys who use the fact that XBL Gold costs $50 a year (at most, and it isn't mandatory for basic access like I said) and that PSN is "free" to justify the fact that they spent $100-$200 more for their PS3 than 360 owners did for their console.

Let's just look at the basics here. I have had my PS3 for 2 1/2 years and so for MP I would have had to pay around £90 for gold. If you add that on to the £270 for a Pro at that time, it comes to £360. If you then add in the fact that I would have had to upgrade my HDD, I think I would have paid more

I don't really get how they can justify it. Ignoring NetFlix, most of your money from gold is used to pay Microsoft, for what exactly? My main problem is that when I buy a game, I expect to be able to access all the content on that disc, but with Xbox I have to pay again for what I have already paid for

Munkeh111 said:
NightDragon83 said:

Funny thing about M$ charging for XBL is that Sony wishes they could do that with PSN because that'll help stem their losses from the PS3 hardware, but the fanboys would throw a shit fit if Sony charged a premium for online gaming.

Remember, basic XBL is free, including having access to tons of Arcade games, videos, and DLC that PSN either doesn't have, or you have to wait longer for it.  And I always LOL at the Sony fanboys who use the fact that XBL Gold costs $50 a year (at most, and it isn't mandatory for basic access like I said) and that PSN is "free" to justify the fact that they spent $100-$200 more for their PS3 than 360 owners did for their console.

Let's just look at the basics here. I have had my PS3 for 2 1/2 years and so for MP I would have had to pay around £90 for gold. If you add that on to the £270 for a Pro at that time, it comes to £360. If you then add in the fact that I would have had to upgrade my HDD, I think I would have paid more

I don't really get how they can justify it. Ignoring NetFlix, most of your money from gold is used to pay Microsoft, for what exactly? My main problem is that when I buy a game, I expect to be able to access all the content on that disc, but with Xbox I have to pay again for what I have already paid for

This is a storm in a glass of water...

XBL Gold is cheap...and it is the best most populated online console system.... I don't see where is the problem.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.