By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray Showing Impressive Gains

At the DisplaySearch conference held yesterday, attendees were treated to the latest information regarding the format war. Warner announced that '300' has sold over 250,000 copies on Blu-ray since it was released in July, twice as many as has sold on HD DVD. Sony also announced that the PS3 would soon be receiving a firmware upgrade to boost its Blu-ray interactivity functions.

On the whole, HD players have increased their market share, now at 5%, since August when it was only 1.3% of total DVD player sales. Additionally, HD players accounted for 27% of the revenue in the DVD player market. This trend is expected to continue through the upcoming holiday season.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=580

Around the Network
GranTurismo said:

At the DisplaySearch conference held yesterday, attendees were treated to the latest information regarding the format war. Warner announced that '300' has sold over 250,000 copies on Blu-ray since it was released in July, twice as many as has sold on HD DVD. Sony also announced that the PS3 would soon be receiving a firmware upgrade to boost its Blu-ray interactivity functions.

On the whole, HD players have increased their market share, now at 5%, since August when it was only 1.3% of total DVD player sales. Additionally, HD players accounted for 27% of the revenue in the DVD player market. This trend is expected to continue through the upcoming holiday season.

That is very impressive and shows that people are starting to make the move to HD.  Although I bet hardly anyone buys a DVD player now seeing as most houses have 3 or 4 of them in it.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Well, it's a fairly good start. Though I have to wonder if that 5% number includes PS3s. If it does, they have a long way to go. I guess the real metric to look at, and the one they didn't list, is what % of discs sold are HD.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Well I just buyed an old DVD player ... so... :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Well I just buyed an old DVD player ... so... :P

Sorry, I don't usually do this, but the proper word is"bought"...

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network
davygee said:
GranTurismo said:

That is very impressive and shows that people are starting to make the move to HD. Although I bet hardly anyone buys a DVD player now seeing as most houses have 3 or 4 of them in it.

I think that close to 80% of all new TV's bought last month were HDTV's. HDM uptake is getting better and will probably hit mass market in 2-3 years.

Awsome!!!

If blu-ray dominates sony dominates :D

mM
GranTurismo said:

So 1 in every 20 Movie players sold in September was a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player? Also is it surprising that a handful of $500 machines cause a massive spike in revenue when you can (easily) find a DVD player in the $15 range?

When every PS3 is included in these numbers this becomes a fairly sad announcement ...

HappySqurriel said:
GranTurismo said:

So 1 in every 20 Movie players sold in September was a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player? Also is it surprising that a handful of $500 machines cause a massive spike in revenue when you can (easily) find a DVD player in the $15 range?

When every PS3 is included in these numbers this becomes a fairly sad announcement ...

I'm also trying to figure out how GT managed to read this as gains for Blu-Ray specifically, and not HD players in general. The only Blu-Ray specific information was on a single movie, which is rather meaningless if you're discussing the entire market.

Its growing ,next year this time it wont be 5% but 30% .