Rocksteady Studios
Action 1077 mb n/a
Action
Release: 08/25/09 n/a n/a Release: 08/25/09
ESRB: Teen
Low Low ESRB: Teen

Head2Head – Batman Arkham Asylum
Length: 00:05:10

Lens of Truth takes Batman Head2Head inside Arkham Asylum.

The Lens of Truth is very excited to be able to put Batman to the test with a Head2Head in his new game, Batman: Arkham Asylum. We have to say, Batman surely put up a good fight on both systems, but  we are happy to say we believe Batman does better on one console. So watch the video and see for yourself.

Watching the video proves that Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the most nicely ported games for the current consoles. Overall, the gameplay seems the same and, for the most part, if you only had one console you shouldn’t feel left out. However the Devil (or Joker) is in the details and when you nitpick this game across the platforms, it’s a close one but we believe there’s a dominant console here. This was a tough one. The biggest problem was that Batman: AA didn’t run perfectly on either system. When one system seemed to be winning, the other system countered with its own advantage. For example, while the Xbox 360 had occlusion shadows (SSAO), the PlayStation 3 had more defined self-shadows on the guards in their interrogation cutscenes.

Another issue came from the cameras as pointed out towards the end of the video. Although it seemed like both systems were rendering at the same size, the Xbox 360’s camera was zoomed in, in comparison to the PlayStation 3. This means that on the PlayStation 3, you could see your surroundings better, which helps out when you’re being attacked by multiple bad guys. A zoomed in camera may not be a big issue until you’re in close quarters and not sure where to go because you can’t see as much.

Some issues just couldn’t be explained. As seen in the video, when you zoom in on the glass in PlayStation 3, the camera generates some odd artifacting. The Xbox 360 doesn’t have this issue, and quite honestly, we haven’t seen an issue like this before. The truth is that although this seems to be an issue on only one console, it’s only an issue when you zoom in on glass.

Roll over image to see differences in shadows on the chest.

Roll over image to see differences in occlusion shadows.

Roll over image to see differences in cameras.

Roll over image to see differences in textures.

Roll over image to see differences in water (including bar of blur at bottom).

This race was so tight, we had to go back to the video again and keep a score card per shot. To our surprise, the score card sided in favor of the PlayStation 3. The PlayStation 3 won with better mipmapping, better overall shadows, better self-shadows, a better camera view, and better light sources. It wasn’t a run away win, though. It is important to note that the Xbox 360 won for the glass issue, occlusion shadows, motion blur, and we even gave a point to Xbox 360 for having a cleaner texture on the Wayne building. The PlayStation 3 wanted the win so badly, it got exclusive with the Joker and it’s really hard to say ‘no’ to a clown. Although the exclusive Joker played no part in the video Head2Head, we have to say that for your money, you’re obviously getting more on one console, and that’s the point of the entire comparison.

G R A P H I C S
Although both consoles had issues, the PlayStation 3 had a few less and having a camera that shows more helps when being attacked from all angles, or if you need to find a place to hide.

P E R F O R M A N C E
Both consoles dropped frames and there was screen tearing. It would have been nice to see one console with neither screen tearing nor frame skipping.

C O N T R O L
Tie. Identical controls.

L O A D I N G
Tie. The PlayStation 3 has a 1 gig install that took only 3 minutes and yet one could argue that with a mandatory install, PlayStation 3 should have performed better. However the latter could counter that if the Xbox 360 had a mandatory install it should have done better…which we know is impossible since not everyone has a hard drive.

O U T C O M E
Although we’re pretty sure you’re gonna be happy with buying Batman: Arkham Asylum on either console, we believe the PlayStation 3 is the better game even if it wasn’t a perfect win.

Around the Network

Great job Rocksteady!

The rollover dosent work.

i call these guys LensOfTreason
i never believed anything they say ever, why? cause i tested one of the games they tested and it turned out false.

I just like the fact that a site that compare games, really didnt find any difference besides some camera zoom and small graphical issues. And i got to give Rocksteady alot of credit for it, aswell as creating a solid Batman game, its been too long!

Around the Network

I went with my friend to pick this game up at the midnight release at gamestop tonight. (He bought it, not me) anyways, just for fun I was counting how many people bought it for 360, and how many bought it for PS3.

As the people came to the counter with their receipts I began to count. 360 all of a sudden jumped out to a 4 to 1 lead. But then PS3 came back and when I stopped counting (when we left with our copy) it was 6 to 6. So................ that means nothing, just interesting is all.

I played it a little bit tonight at my house, but then my friend took it home. I'm not sure when you get the opportunity to play as the joker, it must be after the game is finished with Batman. Anyways the game looked very nice graphically.

It was hilarious seeing people dress up like the joker and his woman at the midnight release. I don't believe This game deserved a midnight release though. How insulting to video games when this game got a midnight release for ~35 people that showed up, and there was no midnight release for Killzone 2.

People actually are not aware of Killzone 2? This entire experience is frustrating.........
But I digress..

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Well, Digital Foundry says the 360 version is slightly better in visuals due to 2x MSAA, having additional motion blur and SSAO, and less screen tearing (1,7% on PS3, 0,2% on 360).

And frankly, DF is better than any other technical site around, so i prefer to trust them. Judging on reading both articles, it's clear that DF did a better, in-depth job, than LoT.

What i'm waiting for is seeing which is better - the 360 version, or the PC version.

Odd...I expected the ps3 fanboys to be all over this "win" like a rash instead you people seem rather limp in your responses, used to seeing the 360 fanboys do this same, I guess maybe the real fanboys aren't here yet, you guys suck.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Well given that the differences are clearly tiny, the Joker wins!

even on those screens you can clearly see that 360 have better lightining.