By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Heavy Rain Graphic Quality Destroys The PC Gaming Business

nen-suer said:
dorbin2009 said:
It's really a shame this game is going to be a PS3 exclusive.

It could have sold so much better on the PC/Xbox forum.

By the way, please be a smart person and never, ever compare a consoles graphic capability to that of a constantly evolving format.

It wont sell well on the PC (heavy piracy)

Itr wont sell on xbox becouse there is no shooting XD (joke)

But seriously this kind of game well sells better on the PS3

Not because of graphics, the best selling PS3 games don't really win in the looks department.

Role playing type games also sell better on the Xbox 360... im not 100% certain, but even better than the market share margins may imply.

Honestly, I can see no reason really aside from perhaps the fact that its not being sold at all on the other two platforms.

Tease.

Around the Network
inverted3reality said:
Reasonable said:
So funny. Completely ignoring that, no matter how good any console game looks, you can take it to PC and make it look better if you want.

The console simply has less power - how the hell is it magically going to be able to deliver better results?

Sure, because the specs are fixed there are development advantages, you can optimize really well, etc. but in the end more power is more power and that's what the PC has.

You're right, it is because the specs are fixed. But you're also wrong, PC gaming will have nothing on consoles come next generation.
The PS3 is just the start. Games that come in the next two years will simply not be possible on PCs.

As a programmer, a computer engineer, and someone who does this for a living, I'll try to put some explination into this.

When you develop for a PC you have to deal with the operating system taking an overhead of the system resources. With consoles this is very little on the ps3, and more on the 360 (And I've used both dev kits to prove this.)

Besides that, every single aspect of the code and engine is designed to work specifically with the hardware that is in the system. This is why multi-plats (generally) look worse than exclusive counterparts. When you see a game that does not look as good on one console compared to the other, it is simply because the developers did not put enough work into the engine for the console which is inferior.

This is why I hate comparison videos and such. Developers have become lazy, and it takes people like rocksteady to make things right. Anyway..

Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 are simply not possible in a multi-platform form. People seriously underestimate just how good metal gear solid 4 looks. I know that because of the nature of the game a lot of it doesn't always shine, but the character models, animations, guns, effects, and even most of the environments in this game are done better than crysis, far better than crysis actually. MGS4 was bar none the best looking videogame ever made when it came out, and until we get heavy rain or gow III, it still is. It may have low textures in some parts, but that is simply due to the complete overkill that was done in other parts of the game.

Mind you, MGS4 was incredibly expensive, as well be gow III and heavy rain. You simply cannot get that kind of technology without intense optimization and research into the hardware. This is why games like Alan Wake, which does look absolutely amazing, will not look as good as MGS4/HR. Its nothing to do with the hardware, it's to do with the money invested by the developers. Remedy is far from rich...

You could make Heavy Rain for the PC right now, but it would require hardware that doesn't exist, unless it was designed for specific hardware, which would be useless for a PC. it needs to work on all sorts of hardware.

So to close off the OPs statement, you're absolutely right. As consoles progress and developers get better, it's going to become harder and harder for PC games to outdo games that are designed for specific hardware, the few games I've worked on are all multi-plat titles and we always use one engine. It's very hard to optimize the engine for just TWO sets of hardware, imagine doing it for the pc? would be sick

Hi:)

I can't really see how you explained anything here, except how you can create a game for the ps2 that looks better than crysis. You just have to optimize:) Why will console games look better than pc games next gen, as opposed to now? What's going to change?

You may be right as far as I know, but this was not the best explenation imo.

Squilliam said:
nen-suer said:
dorbin2009 said:
It's really a shame this game is going to be a PS3 exclusive.

It could have sold so much better on the PC/Xbox forum.

By the way, please be a smart person and never, ever compare a consoles graphic capability to that of a constantly evolving format.

It wont sell well on the PC (heavy piracy)

Itr wont sell on xbox becouse there is no shooting XD (joke)

But seriously this kind of game well sells better on the PS3

Not because of graphics, the best selling PS3 games don't really win in the looks department.

Role playing type games also sell better on the Xbox 360... im not 100% certain, but even better than the market share margins may imply.

Honestly, I can see no reason really aside from perhaps the fact that its not being sold at all on the other two platforms.

1- Am not talking about graphics.

2- you cant compare this game to normal Role Playing games

3- CGI-Quality is Sony fanboy 

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Well, consoles do too much for what they are. However, get me a PC the size of a PS3 with currently considered high-end gaming specs and I'll take it over any console. But of course you won't find it.

That heavy rain video was suprisingly good.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

I was going to read untill i saw...Hiphop lamer.

Does that monkey (Uneducated person,anyone can be a monkey)know anything about graphics? You cant compare a close up of TV with heavy rain vs Crysis.

Crysis is more than one little scene goign on at a time,if Crysis wanted even better graphics it could all be small enviorments like hallways.

Actually Heavy Rain is no where near superior to PC graphics. The only thing I am actually impressed with in Heavy Rain is the character models/faces. Everything else in the game looks like Grand Theft Auto quality graphics from the trailers I've seen (the one in the OP and a few others).

I don't trust a word coming from SDF - I mean, HipHopGamer.

This is invisible text!

Damn it HHG is getting stealthier! :P

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

nen-suer said:
Squilliam said:

1- Am not talking about graphics.

2- you cant compare this game to normal Role Playing games

3- CGI-Quality is Sony fanboy 

Err? Theres NO reason why it would sell better on the PS3. Its not a franchise, the PS3 seems to sell games with a heritage better than new I.P. Then you're still looking at a lower userbase at the time of release. It was made on the PS3 because the developers felt it was the best platform to do what they wanted.

Tease.