By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA to Acquire Bioware Corp. and Pandemic Studios

I hope they don't change as Bioware is one of the pinnacle developers in their industry.

Still, EA has the amazing power to turn everything they touch into shit kind of like the Midas Touch (for gold) or Uwe Boll effect, only EA style.

Around the Network
Saiyar said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15833

"The question and answer section was particularly hot on which IPs will transfer over to EA, and the company noted that Mass Effect is published by Microsoft, but the intellectual property now belongs to Electronic Arts."

EA can do whatever they want with Mass Effect franchise from now on. 

I know that EA now owns the Mass Effect IP but didn't MS lock up publishing rights to the entire trilogy? Or was it just the first game?

I can't seem to find any real info on it right now.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Damn, it looks like MS only tied up publishing rights to the first game. Fuckbeans. That means EA has the ability to stretch BioWare thin by forcing them to port it to everything from the PS3 to the NES and Neo Geo.

I really dislike that company.

EA go the #%$#$ away, seriously if you ruin these games i swear

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

I am a little late to the party, so I'll quote others for my expression:

leo-j said:
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darthdevidem said:
NOOOOOOOOOoo

NOT BIOWARE!!!!!!!!!

I don;t want that company RUINED!!

their my favorites!!

Well... that's it

Edit:

Great... After KOEI pretty much stop pumping good PC games, Bioware is gone too now... All I get left are Relic and Valve for PC... Well... good thing I get a Wii, and a DS just recently... Still... This gives no comfort to me...

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Saiyar said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15833

"The question and answer section was particularly hot on which IPs will transfer over to EA, and the company noted that Mass Effect is published by Microsoft, but the intellectual property now belongs to Electronic Arts."

EA can do whatever they want with Mass Effect franchise from now on.

I know that EA now owns the Mass Effect IP but didn't MS lock up publishing rights to the entire trilogy? Or was it just the first game?

I can't seem to find any real info on it right now.

MS are publishing the first game but it looks like it is EA after that. I suspect part of the $800 million included buying certain rights back from companies. MS may have made a deal to kepp the trilogy exclusive though. I am sure it will all come out later.

They wouldn't even have mentioned Mass Effect if they hadn't acquired the rights to it, they could have just sold the property to MS right off and made extra profit. Knowing EA everything Bioware ever produced or ever will produce in the future will have at least one version on every single available platform.

Overall, this just really really blows. EA not only whores out every one of its franchises every year or two but they NEVER support their shit for more than 12 months (if even that long). PC gamers in particular have been left with a bad taste in their mouths over the years by EA and their bullshit.

I hope to God that they won't ruin BioWare's vision with Mass Effect but knowing EA, they're already trying to think of way to milk the franchise (Captain Shepard plush dolls), kill support (expect late & overpriced DLC), create spin-offs (Mass Effect: Need for Cyberspeed and Mass Effect: Underground) and overall, just fuck everything up.

This is particularly shattering if you have read about BioWare's grand vision with Mass Effect. Surely EA will bite into that vision in the name of profits, shareholders, and cockgobbling.

On the bright side at least we now know that there are new Jade Empire and Neverwinter Nights games in the works.

Man....if EA could see this thread....maybe they can, and they feed on gamers' tears....

@saiyar

Unfortunately they will probably suck out loud.