By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the ps3 will sell 100 milllion?

it is no wonder that you are almost extinct.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

wishful thinking.

megaman79 said:
it is no wonder that you are almost extinct.

ROTFLMBO!!!!

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

Star Scream said:
Cobretti2 said:
it has the same possibilty of reaching 100million about as much as people thinking that the romans killed jesus.

So it's likely to reach 100, then?

no

So, OP, what you're saying is if the Wii released a Wii Slim right now it would sell over 250 million, because there's a hard law that states that 80% of all sales come from the slim model?

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Around the Network
ph4nt said:
Orca_Azure said:
The ps2 had no competition- the ps3 has a twin and the wii to compete with. Sales will be boosted sure, but the 100m mark is just aiming too high under these circumstances.

Not to mention it would be the first console ever to more than quadruple its first 3 years of sales.

I think the SNES may be around there. I am not sure how much it sold in the first three years, but I do know that most of its sales came after Donkey Kong Country came out when the system was nearly 4 years old. Before that it was getting trounced by the Megadrive which held 2/3rds of the total 16-bit market.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
ph4nt said:
Orca_Azure said:
The ps2 had no competition- the ps3 has a twin and the wii to compete with. Sales will be boosted sure, but the 100m mark is just aiming too high under these circumstances.

Not to mention it would be the first console ever to more than quadruple its first 3 years of sales.

I think the SNES may be around there. I am not sure how much it sold in the first three years, but I do know that most of its sales came after Donkey Kong Country came out when the system was nearly 4 years old. Before that it was getting trounced by the Megadrive which held 2/3rds of the total 16-bit market.

I don't think thats true, the megadrive just launched a lot earlier than the SNES, but once released, i'm pretty sure the SNES trounced the megadrive much like the Wii trounced the xbox 360.

Snes definitely sold more than 15 million in 3 years.

It won't happen because the Wii happend. The PS3 will get it's time to shine and if I'm right then that time will start next month but casual gamers aren't always interested in HD gaming and as the Wii proved a majtory isn't interested in that. The latest fun way to interact with the game makes the difference, things like the Eyetoy made the PS2 the causal gaming machine that it was. So the only way Sony has a shot at that 100 million lifetime sales is if they can get that market back. That would mean A. People lose interest in the Wii, B. Sony can market their PS3 Wand to the casual gamer and C. Natal doesn't get any attention at all. A is very unlikely, B might work but C will get it's share of the casual market aswell (if A happens that is).

I would go for around 70M to 75M with the 10 year life cycle... Without it I think it will sell like 52M...it this gen lasts only 3 years....

╔╦╦╗╔╦╗
║║║║╠╬╣
║║║║║║║ WOULD LIKE TO PLAY!!
╚══╝╚╩╝         

No it won't.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB