By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

d21lewis said:
spdk1 said:
On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.

Nancy Grace and Jane Valez Mitchell (I think that's how you spell it).  Everybody knows that these two are never informed.  They're just there to cause outrage.  Whenever some expert is there and actually disputes what they're saying, they are taken off camera, their mic is cut, or they aren't allowed to say whatever they were saying.  That's part of the reason why HLN loses pretty much any credibiltiy from people trying to actually learn what's going on in the world.  They're just "entertainment" like a B-Grade talk show.

and why they're CEO got promoted and tasked with running CNN.

...sadly.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
One of the best parts about WWE Network? The old commercials. Seeing Bushido Blade or Playstation as a sponsor brings back memories.

Im pretty sure THQ also sponsor a few of those, so old smackdown game commericals!

d21lewis said:
spdk1 said:
On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.

Nancy Grace and Jane Valez Mitchell (I think that's how you spell it).  Everybody knows that these two are never informed.  They're just there to cause outrage.  Whenever some expert is there and actually disputes what they're saying, they are taken off camera, their mic is cut, or they aren't allowed to say whatever they were saying.  That's part of the reason why HLN loses pretty much any credibiltiy from people trying to actually learn what's going on in the world.  They're just "entertainment" like a B-Grade talk show.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10761995

Starting at about 5:40, Colin Cowherd on ESPN takes a shit on the pro wrestling industry after The Warrior's passing. Some of his points are well-founded and are one of the reasons I don't care for the WWE, like Vince's dominance over the industry forcing workers to be independent contractors and not providing them insurance. On others, he's just plain uninformed and partying like it's 1999. He doesn't acknowledge the WWE's wellness policy. He's a shock jock that I listen to a few times a week, so don't take everything he says to heart.

d21lewis said:

Maybe WWE will buy them.  WWE is the NFL while TNA is the XFL.  Just because nobody cares about them doesn't mean the sport is dead.  If fans aren't flocking to TNA despite all of the talent they've had, whose fault is that?  Maybe they need to go back to one arena (if they aren't doing that) like they used to.  They've had some of the biggest names and most innovative matches of the past decade but they just didn't know how to manage it into something great.

Simply put, it comes down to TV money and exposure.  TNA's growth potential is effectively capped by being on a low-end network like Spike.  At the same time, of course, Spike is what allows them to survive.  Having a low-end TV deal is much better than not having a TV deal.  There have been many times where I've felt that TNA had a better product than the WWE.  The beginning of last year, for instance, WWE was down and TNA PPVs were killing it in terms of quality.  If TNA had been on a network the size of USA during those periods, I think they would have done well.

As I see it, we'll never seen anyone offer real competition to the WWE without the full support of one of the primary multi-media networks.  It's a matter of resources and exposure.  There are no substitutes for that.  Unfortunately, after the WCW situation, it doesn't seem like anyone big is interested in professional wrestling all that much.  Even the WWE is in a period of flux.

Some people are guessing that the WWE might end up with Viacom (I doubt it) which would be interesting.  If TNA got the boot from Spike, it would probably be over for them.  It would be a massive coup for Spike, however, though a downgrade for the WWE.

pokoko said:
d21lewis said:

Maybe WWE will buy them.  WWE is the NFL while TNA is the XFL.  Just because nobody cares about them doesn't mean the sport is dead.  If fans aren't flocking to TNA despite all of the talent they've had, whose fault is that?  Maybe they need to go back to one arena (if they aren't doing that) like they used to.  They've had some of the biggest names and most innovative matches of the past decade but they just didn't know how to manage it into something great.

Simply put, it comes down to TV money and exposure.  TNA's growth potential is effectively capped by being on a low-end network like Spike.  At the same time, of course, Spike is what allows them to survive.  Having a low-end TV deal is much better than not having a TV deal.  There have been many times where I've felt that TNA had a better product than the WWE.  The beginning of last year, for instance, WWE was down and TNA PPVs were killing it in terms of quality.  If TNA had been on a network the size of USA during those periods, I think they would have done well.

As I see it, we'll never seen anyone offer real competition to the WWE without the full support of one of the primary multi-media networks.  It's a matter of resources and exposure.  There are no substitutes for that.  Unfortunately, after the WCW situation, it doesn't seem like anyone big is interested in professional wrestling all that much.  Even the WWE is in a period of flux.

Some people are guessing that the WWE might end up with Viacom (I doubt it) which would be interesting.  If TNA got the boot from Spike, it would probably be over for them.  It would be a massive coup for Spike, however, though a downgrade for the WWE.

But Monday Night Raw was on Spike in the early 2000`s and Smackdown began on UPN (which I didn't even have access to at the time)!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
pokoko said:

But Monday Night Raw was on Spike in the early 2000`s and Smackdown began on UPN (which I didn't even have access to at the time)!

The WWF/WWE is as established as a wrestling promotion can possibly be.  They get exposure just by existing.  I'm talking about building one up to be a legitimate contender to the WWE.

http://nodq.com/tna/399406360.shtml

Another TNA veteran has left the company. Chris Sabin's contract has expired and his last official date with the company was Saturday's One Night Only pay-per-view tapings.

TNA did make Sabin an offer but similar to the situation with AJ Styles, it was not an offer that he was happy with. Sabin is already reaching out to indie groups and taking bookings.

The next TNA veterans to leave may be Daniels and Kazarian.

Well............ he is RED HOT right now , and lots of fans are saying he is without a shadow of a doubt the best manager of all time (but for me, due to his razor sharp wit, Bobby Heenan still holds that crown)

Paul Heyman is going to be the guest on this Thursdays Steve Austin Unleashed show. http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show

Put a note in your diary, this one could be explosive...!!!!!!

gooch_destroyer said:

Another TNA veteran has left the company. Chris Sabin's contract has expired and his last official date with the company was Saturday's One Night Only pay-per-view tapings.

TNA did make Sabin an offer but similar to the situation with AJ Styles, it was not an offer that he was happy with. Sabin is already reaching out to indie groups and taking bookings.

And I get a step closer to giving up on TNA myself. I thought AJ Styles might have been the final nail in the coffin for me, but Samoa Joe, The Wolves and those two international guys they brought in temporarily just keep me hangin' on.

burninmylight said:
gooch_destroyer said:

And I get a step closer to giving up on TNA myself. I thought AJ Styles might have been the final nail in the coffin for me, but Samoa Joe, The Wolves and those two international guys they brought in temporarily just keep me hangin' on.

TNA is done if they loose Joe.