By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

d21lewis said:
Mirson said:

I'm still shocked about The Ultimate Warrior, but you really couldn't ask for a more fitting end. He gets inducted to the HOF, makes peace with WWE, and addresses the fans one last time. His speech from Raw is eerie after this, but still touching.

Also shocked at the new TNA champ. I've always liked EY, but I don't buy him as the world champ. This made me realize how much TNA is lacking in star power atm.

I've often accused WWE of copying from TNA and vice versa.  This seems like TNA making their most Daniel Bryan-like guy a champion...but Eric Young isn't Daniel Bryan-like at all.

They both have beards.  

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network

I don't really get the EY/DB comparisons (outside the beard). EY is a guy who has put in years with the organization. he's done everything they've ever asked him to do. This is more like when Christian won the belt in the WWE than when DB won. It's giving a guy who has paid his dues a chance to hold the belt for a little while--which is to say, yes, he'll be a transitory champion.

Magnus, to me, has been something of a disappointment. Time to move on.

pokoko said:
I don't really get the EY/DB comparisons (outside the beard). EY is a guy who has put in years with the organization. he's done everything they've ever asked him to do. This is more like when Christian won the belt in the WWE than when DB won. It's giving a guy who has paid his dues a chance to hold the belt for a little while--which is to say, yes, he'll be a transitory champion.

Magnus, to me, has been something of a disappointment. Time to move on.

I guess you're right.  I was a fan of Young back when he was getting abused by Rober Roode on a weekly basis.  Always knew the guy had talent but somewhere along the way (maybe it was the pairing of him and ODB) I lost interest in him and TNA completely.  I respect the guy.  Maybe it's not a case of them copying WWE with Daniel Bryan and maybe it's a case of them copying WWE with Mark Henry.

Just kidding.  I like it when a loyal guy finally gets his break.

What do you guys think of Jarret's new promotion? I hope it does well. I really miss the vibe back when TNA was a few years in. When they had Scott D'Amore with Team Canada. The X-Division was so fresh. Then it went to hell when Dixie took over. Apparently Carter was willing to sell TNA back to Jarret under condition Dixie remained as an on screen persona. Jarret declined...

darkknightkryta said:
What do you guys think of Jarret's new promotion? I hope it does well. I really miss the vibe back when TNA was a few years in. When they had Scott D'Amore with Team Canada. The X-Division was so fresh. Then it went to hell when Dixie took over. Apparently Carter was willing to sell TNA back to Jarret under condition Dixie remained as an on screen persona. Jarret declined...

Still too much we don't know.  Will they have a TV deal?  That's vital.  On the other hand, I said few years ago, even before the WWE Network was announced, that professional wrestling needed to embrace the internet better and that someone like TNA could do well making a deal with a service like Hulu or Amazon Video.  Internet PPVs are the future.  Either way, they have to have some plan for exposure or they'll get no bigger than ROH.

As for talent, Jeff Jarrett has proven to me that he can succeed in that regard.  He brought in a lot of really good performers to TNA.  In addition to that, the guy has been all over the world recently for TNA, making deals in places like India and Japan, and you KNOW he was thinking about his own promotion while he was doing it.  It wouldn't surprise me to see guys from both places join GFW.

Also, if you think back, the Knockouts division used to be really, really good.  I honestly believe they should try to deliver high-quality female and tag-team divisions, which would give them something both the WWE and TNA lack at the moment.  Most of the best female wrestlers are still in the indies (and Japan) so it wouldn't exactly be hard.

You know, maybe I'm alone in this, but does anyone else miss when the secondary title for an organization used to be really important?  Back in the NWA, the US Championship was a big deal.  Likewise the IC belt in the WWF and the X Division Championship in TNA.  Even in the WCW, the TV title had some of the best matches in the whole company, often better than the WHC.  I'd like to see something like that again.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
darkknightkryta said:

Still too much we don't know.  Will they have a TV deal?  That's vital.  On the other hand, I said few years ago, even before the WWE Network was announced, that professional wrestling needed to embrace the internet better and that someone like TNA could do well making a deal with a service like Hulu or Amazon Video.  Internet PPVs are the future.  Either way, they have to have some plan for exposure or they'll get no bigger than ROH.

As for talent, Jeff Jarrett has proven to me that he can succeed in that regard.  He brought in a lot of really good performers to TNA.  In addition to that, the guy has been all over the world recently for TNA, making deals in places like India and Japan, and you KNOW he was thinking about his own promotion while he was doing it.  It wouldn't surprise me to see guys from both places join GFW.

Also, if you think back, the Knockouts division used to be really, really good.  I honestly believe they should try to deliver high-quality female and tag-team divisions, which would give them something both the WWE and TNA lack at the moment.  Most of the best female wrestlers are still in the indies (and Japan) so it wouldn't exactly be hard.

You know, maybe I'm alone in this, but does anyone else miss when the secondary title for an organization used to be really important?  Back in the NWA, the US Championship was a big deal.  Likewise the IC belt in the WWF and the X Division Championship in TNA.  Even in the WCW, the TV title had some of the best matches in the whole company, often better than the WHC.  I'd like to see something like that again.

I agree.  I personally think someone needs to take the IC title and make it legit again.  Give it to Cena or Orton (If this fued with DB ever ends).  I think this will be a good way to start building the young talent.  This way you have bigger names fueding with the younger talent.  I mean, putting Bray together with Cena is one of the smartest things they've done in a while.  Though I was just thinking about it, other than Cena all they're biggest names are fueding with Bryan right now :/

SnakeDrake said:
d21lewis said:
Mirson said:

I'm still shocked about The Ultimate Warrior, but you really couldn't ask for a more fitting end. He gets inducted to the HOF, makes peace with WWE, and addresses the fans one last time. His speech from Raw is eerie after this, but still touching.

Also shocked at the new TNA champ. I've always liked EY, but I don't buy him as the world champ. This made me realize how much TNA is lacking in star power atm.

I've often accused WWE of copying from TNA and vice versa.  This seems like TNA making their most Daniel Bryan-like guy a champion...but Eric Young isn't Daniel Bryan-like at all.

They both have beards.  

Much more than that, my friend.  They both wrestled two matches in the same night they won the titles, they both hurt their arms in the first match, they both are undersized in world champ terms, they both beat the handpicked company guys (Orton and Magnus), and they both got popular as goofy gimmicks.(Bryan with Kane, and Eric Young in his various roles over the last 7 or so years after Team Canada)

Mirson said:

Eric Young...

wasn't he the guy a couple years ago that got a fake concussion and acted insane for a while.

and i want to say drew on himself with magic markers or something.

Yergh.  

I mean, he was talented in ring and all, but it's a hard sell to bring someone back from comedy relief.

gooch_destroyer said:

Yep, poking fun at the death of Pro Wrestling in the USA.  Isn't it sad that Pro Wrestling is so low that the #2 promotion can't even draw a few thousand to a PPV?